Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Motorsports 
Thread started 26 Jun 2013 (Wednesday) 17:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shot my first motorsports event, how did I do? (Formula D NJ)

pookgai
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 26, 2013 17:27 |  #1

I am an amateur who just rented out a 70-200mm 2.8 and what better way to test it out than by going to a motorsports event. I didnt have a fancy neon media vest so I was banished to the stands, and unfortunately theres this gigantic fence that separates the stands to the track that makes photography tricky. But I tried my best and even snuck into one of the media "hot area" to take a few shots before being promptly kicked out.

So please critique my photos and let me know in what ways I can improve. Formula D was my first time shooting a Motorsports event but it definitely wont be my last!

Link to the album
http://www.flickr.com …8/sets/72157634​347869836/ (external link)

Some of my favorites:

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3706/9146729190_a57e4a911c_c.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3766/9144593143_ecc420be66_c.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7301/9144631767_4d13fbf2a0_c.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7292/9146844064_0a9ced8c7b_c.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7458/9146783894_8774cd2511_c.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7352/9146776042_3f4602619f_c.jpg

sponsored links
seducksauce
114 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 26, 2013 18:38 |  #2

All things considered I'd say you got some rather nice captures. I can appreciate not being able to get to the "good spots". I really like your paddock/crowd coverage, as that is something that greatly lacks from just about all other motorsport photographers (myself included). It's easily overlooked, but makes an album so much more personal.

Apply for credentials for your next motorsport gig, and don't go sneakin' around as that could build an undesirable reputation.

Nice work!

p.s. - you might want to embed a few of your favorites here, as I know there's several that don't like to open an album to view the photos. I almost didn't open it myself.

Eric ­ T
566 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 26, 2013 19:21 |  #3

Great job, and don't worry bout the bright yellow vest. Your set is going to be different (in a good way) than everyone else's shots that will flood social media since media at Formula D is limited to a couple of locations.

Keep it up.

Canon Gripped 5D Mark iii x2 & 1DX | Canon 400mm & 300mm f/2.8 L IS | Canon 15mm, 16-35mm f/4 IS, 24-70mm f/2.8 ii, and 85 f/1.2 Mark ii | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II |Canon 580EX II Speedlite Flash | Canon 1.4x III

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jun 26, 2013 19:22 |  #4

I think you did a pretty good job. I did have a fancy neon vest, and I think your pit coverage is far better than mine!

Try to attend a local grassroots event. They are usually fairly lenient on media credentials as long as you make the request in writing and provide value to the event. This will give you the opportunity to get the shots sans-fencing and possibly gain a portfolio that will open a door to a media outlet for future professional events.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

pookgai
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 26, 2013 20:31 |  #5

thanks for the advice guys! and I have updated my original post to include some choice pictures.

Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 26, 2013 20:43 |  #6

pookgai wrote in post #16067774 (external link)
... But I tried my best and even snuck into one of the media "hot area" to take a few shots before being promptly kicked out.

Nice work! Back in my point-and-shoot days, I also tried that at a major super-speedway for the Nascar circuit. The pass that I was issued had a golden 23, but the media guys' passes only had the number 2. So, with some creativity, I magically became a number 2. It worked and I got into the pits, on pit road during the command to fire the engines, a free run of the garage area, etc... It was all good until a young lady took offense to my poking a camera a bit too close to a Mr. Tony Stewart and I was promptly asked to leave. All in all, it was worth it :)

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

I ­ Heard ­ Some ­ Ruckus
27 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 27, 2013 03:06 |  #7

Even with a media pass, that spot on the grandstands is amazing. The light that shines through is unique to any other track I been to. Great job on the photographs!

Also did you edit on a Mac or Windows computer?

pookgai
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 27, 2013 07:26 |  #8

I Heard Some Ruckus wrote in post #16068900 (external link)
Even with a media pass, that spot on the grandstands is amazing. The light that shines through is unique to any other track I been to. Great job on the photographs!

Also did you edit on a Mac or Windows computer?

thank you! I edited these photos in Lightroom on a mac.

sponsored links

1,134 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shot my first motorsports event, how did I do? (Formula D NJ)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Motorsports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.