Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 13 Jun 2013 (Thursday) 04:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Speedlite + Beauty Dish

dancook
THREAD ­ STARTER
540 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 24, 2013 09:04 |  #31

Which grid did you get?

I ordered the sock/black grid

sponsored links
DDL
450 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 24, 2013 09:11 |  #32

Pearlallica wrote in post #16059875 (external link)
i have the kacey dish (22) with dual speedlite mounting. Even with both 580 at full power you'll have to have the dish close to your subject when using outdoors. I had to get battery packs for my flash for better recycle times and longer use. I was going through so much power that I ended up getting extra battery magazines and batteries for prolonged use. It was an expensive investments when all added up. Of course, you'll want to control the hardness/softness of your light for different situations and that's when the sock and the grid come in to play as well. Honeygrids supplied me with a good grid for a good chunk of change.

I'm evaluating the AD/CL-180 and AD/CL-360 to alleviate the lack of power problem while maintaining some portability (although for a CL180/360 + battery an Einstein 640ws and Vagabond mini is almost the same price but twice as powerful plus unfortunately twice as heavy).

DDL

GearList

Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 25, 2013 14:52 |  #33

dancook wrote in post #16059880 (external link)
Which grid did you get?

I ordered the sock/black grid

I have the black grid as well. I've seen examples of the white grid but the results didn't appear convincing enough for the added price. I rarely bring the grid on location since it does kill three stops of light.

DDL wrote in post #16059900 (external link)
I'm evaluating the AD/CL-180 and AD/CL-360 to alleviate the lack of power problem while maintaining some portability (although for a CL180/360 + battery an Einstein 640ws and Vagabond mini is almost the same price but twice as powerful plus unfortunately twice as heavy).

That's just the thing. Unless you have an assistant, it's just too much weight to lug around unless of course you plan on shooting close to your vehicle. Been there. Without grip to handle the heavy lifting, you're setting yourself up for a miserable experience. Resorting to speedlites takes a lot of the weight out of the equation which ultimately maintains your calm and professional image ;) Of course, if you're able to get a willing volunteer to tag along to handle your equipment, then using powerful strobes is going to be more advantageous.

jonathan @ tlcphoto.com (external link) - pro wedding and portrait photog
5d2 5d3 50L 16-35 70-200 ElinchromRX600 580EX 600EX VIV285

windpig
Chopped liver
14,887 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 25, 2013 22:10 |  #34

Having a white grid would almost be self defeating to a certain extent I would think.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

dancook
THREAD ­ STARTER
540 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 26, 2013 02:41 |  #35

windpig wrote in post #16065265 (external link)
Having a white grid would almost be self defeating to a certain extent I would think.

For my application I'm thinking of trying to reduce environmental light considerably, so it was a no brainer picking black :) I thought.. I'm still new to this though heh

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jun 26, 2013 06:42 |  #36

windpig wrote in post #16065265 (external link)

That would be true for white dishes but might be useful for silver which are more directional to begin with and if you want to spread the light out more but not as much as when using a sock. Of course, using a grid, with any dish, always means losing a little bit of light that would otherwise contribute to lighting the subject. :)

...Leo

windpig
Chopped liver
14,887 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 26, 2013 06:46 |  #37

I'm glad you qualified your response Leo to take into account my qualifying mine:lol:

flickr (external link)

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jun 26, 2013 07:09 |  #38

windpig wrote in post #16065971 (external link)
I'm glad you qualified your response Leo to take into account my qualifying mine:lol:

I think there was a brain hiccup as you were typing the bolded phrase 'cuz you lost me there. :confused: I tried using Google Translate (Hillbilly to English translation) but it just froze up on me.  :p

...Leo

windpig
Chopped liver
14,887 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 26, 2013 10:18 |  #39

Cue the banjo music:)

"to a certain extent" is what my qualification was.:)

Anyway, back on subject.

flickr (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 26, 2013 19:07 |  #40

dancook wrote in post #16027334 (external link)
I'm in contact with Jerry over email, so I've asked him to quote me some stuff.

I'm assuming the dish with twin bracket is all I need to adapt it to either a flash bracket or flash stand.

Trust me, you will not be able to use the Kacey dish and a Kacey bracket on a flash bracket attached to the camera.

I can't think of any beauty dish that is sufficiently large that will work on a camera flash bracket.

Here is a picture of a Kacey double bracket with two CL-360s mounted.

They are only a little larger than a Canon 600EX-RT. The bracket and lights will weight substantially more than the camera. Adding a 22" BD would cover the lens as well as adding at least twice the weight.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | Byte size: ZERO

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

DDL
450 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 26, 2013 20:29 as a reply to  @ dmward's post |  #41

The dual 360 setup above is what i want to use with my Kacey BD which should give me a ton more light (approx 2 stops) than two speedlights currently do; this opens up a lot of possibilities for powerful portability.

DDL

GearList

Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 26, 2013 21:15 |  #42

dmward wrote in post #16067986 (external link)
Trust me, you will not be able to use the Kacey dish and a Kacey bracket on a flash bracket attached to the camera.

I can't think of any beauty dish that is sufficiently large that will work on a camera flash bracket.

Here is a picture of a Kacey double bracket with two CL-360s mounted.

They are only a little larger than a Canon 600EX-RT. The bracket and lights will weight substantially more than the camera. Adding a 22" BD would cover the lens as well as adding at least twice the weight.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | Byte size: ZERO

That would make one hell of an illustration with the addition of some kind of make-shift pole to get the dish high enough. Imagine seeing a wedding photographer snapping away during the ceremony with the camera in the right hand and the dish being balanced in the left hand. What an ass monkey that guy would look like. But seriously, I've seen mini dishes in the B&H catalog that snap directly onto your speedlite. Pretty much a joke in my opinion.

Oh, and to add to the topic, I've actually tinkered with my dish so that it has both the dual speedlite brackets and an elinchrom speedring simultaneously. It's a bit of a tight configuration, but I was very pleased when I discovered that my dish can double as a studio dish and location dish thus avoiding the cost of a second dish.

jonathan @ tlcphoto.com (external link) - pro wedding and portrait photog
5d2 5d3 50L 16-35 70-200 ElinchromRX600 580EX 600EX VIV285

dancook
THREAD ­ STARTER
540 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 27, 2013 03:23 |  #43

dmward wrote in post #16067986 (external link)

I bought a stand :cool: I'm going to get my new 'assistant' to carry it around.. :lol:

sponsored links

10,810 views & 0 likes for this thread
Speedlite + Beauty Dish
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.