Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 Jun 2013 (Thursday) 18:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

70-200 2.8 IS II vs 200 2.0

cdang
263 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 27, 2013 10:19 |  #121

LensGuy, you have nothing to prove. Enjoy your new lens. I have both and I know which I prefer.

sponsored links
TheLensGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
598 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 27, 2013 10:42 |  #122
bannedPermanent ban

cdang wrote in post #16069631 (external link)
LensGuy, you have nothing to prove. Enjoy your new lens. I have both and I know which I prefer.

I am not trying to prove anything. Initially in this thread I was asking a lot of questions and got a lot of conflicting answers. After getting the lens, I got my answers, but now I am just trying to help others who might be in my shoes one day. I have done a lot of googling before coming here and posting this thread and if I remember correctly there was only one thread in canon rumors comparing the two lenses. Even that thread however had no side by side comparisons with real pictures, it was more about people commenting on both lenses. I dont think anyone has taken the time to properly compare these two lenses which is what I am trying to do.

An interesting comparison I am doing is also with the 2x extender and there is a massive IQ difference there at 5.6 as well as pretty significant AF speed. The prime is very useful in that regard. I have tried the 2x extender side by side with the 300 mk2 and see no difference in AF speed. A lot of articles refer the 300 and 400 mk2 as the "IS II lenses optimized to work with mk3 extenders". What many people havent realized is 200L also shares the same AF and IS characteristics. Its not called IS II because its predecessor was 1.8 not 2.0. I think this is also very useful information because I read in a lot of 300 2.8 threads where people were leaning towards that lens due to its improved performance with the new extenders.

On that note, I saw almost no improved IQ between 1.4 mk2 and mk3 converts but big difference in 2x. With mk3 2x converter the image is fairly useful. This is why I picked up 2x first.

In scenes that are red or yellow dominant, there is also a warmness difference between the zoom and prime. I feel that all of this is very relevant and should be shared with everyone
There arent that many people who own the prime let alone own it along with the zoom, so I see the value of doing this.

I think starting a brand new thread with a "200L review" title might clear things up a bit as I was not intending to turn this into a competition thread.

mileslong24
508 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 27, 2013 12:16 as a reply to  @ TheLensGuy's post |  #123

All I will say from every thread you've started/posted in lately is that I'm really happy that I just go out and take pics and enjoy them rather than ordering 3 copies of everything I buy and taking pics of the wall all day. To each their own.

RickRandhawa
599 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 27, 2013 12:43 |  #124

TheLensGuy wrote in post #16069201 (external link)
Sure it does, because it has to be the zoom or the photographer at fault, prime cannot be sharper than the mighty sensational zoom!

I also agree you missed focus on the 70-200MKII test shots. I don't think people are saying that because the 70-200MKII pictures aren't as sharp, but rather because of the obvious blurryness. Regardless of how sharp the lens in, the images it produces shouldn't have blur.

mileslong24 wrote in post #16070039 (external link)
All I will say from every thread you've started/posted in lately is that I'm really happy that I just go out and take pics and enjoy them rather than ordering 3 copies of everything I buy and taking pics of the wall all day. To each their own.

Haha, that was pretty funny. I do the same for my lenses, takes an hour or two, but gives me a sense of confidence in my equipment. When I used to shoot glamour, it was amazing what an Microadjustment of 3/4 could do...the difference between "pretty sharp" and "can see each individual eyelash clearly" sharp.

6D l 24-70L II l 85L II l 70-200/4L IS

TheLensGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
598 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 27, 2013 12:57 |  #125
bannedPermanent ban

RickRandhawa wrote in post #16070094 (external link)
I also agree you missed focus on the 70-200MKII test shots. I don't think people are saying that because the 70-200MKII pictures aren't as sharp, but rather because of the obvious blurryness. Regardless of how sharp the lens in, the images it produces shouldn't have blur.

Haha, that was pretty funny. I do the same for my lenses, takes an hour or two, but gives me a sense of confidence in my equipment. When I used to shoot glamour, it was amazing what an Microadjustment of 3/4 could do...the difference between "pretty sharp" and "can see each individual eyelash clearly" sharp.

The initial shot of the bottle may have been out of focus as I said several times now I was hand holding it and it was not scientific. Other shots however were shot using a tripod, manual focus in live view, and using a remote controller. I took 5 shots using each lens and picked the best. To put the "oof" comments to rest, I will shoot a picture of the focus chart using the zoom so you can see my zoom does not need MA and it focuses fine.

Remember that these are 100% crops and also remember that they are jpegs. Still apples to apples, but wanted to clarify.

TheLensGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
598 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 27, 2013 12:59 |  #126
bannedPermanent ban

mileslong24 wrote in post #16070039 (external link)

I am enjoying this lens so much, if I could use it in my sleep, I would. I just love it.

I have never had so many people compliment me on my pictures though. The only other lens that allowed me to do it was 85L II.

RickRandhawa
599 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 27, 2013 13:11 |  #127

TheLensGuy wrote in post #16070123 (external link)
The initial shot of the bottle may have been out of focus as I said several times now I was hand holding it and it was not scientific. Other shots however were shot using a tripod, manual focus in live view, and using a remote controller. I took 5 shots using each lens and picked the best. To put the "oof" comments to rest, I will shoot a picture of the focus chart using the zoom so you can see my zoom does not need MA and it focuses fine.

Remember that these are 100% crops and also remember that they are jpegs. Still apples to apples, but wanted to clarify.

You don't need to prove anything to me sir, I was just pointing out what I saw.

TheLensGuy wrote in post #16070130 (external link)
I am enjoying this lens so much, if I could use it in my sleep, I would. I just love it.

I have never had so many people compliment me on my pictures though. The only other lens that allowed me to do it was 85L II.

Would love to see some of the shots you've taken with the lens! :)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,434 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 27, 2013 13:15 |  #128

RickRandhawa wrote in post #16070157 (external link)
Would love to see some of the shots you've taken with the lens! :)

Me too.:)

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

drzenitram
824 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 27, 2013 13:30 |  #129

bobbyz wrote in post #16070164 (external link)
Me too.:)

Me three! I don't think I've ever had the opportunity to see any of your images, besides the test charts, of course!

| Bodies - 5D Mark II, T2i | Lenses - Helios 44-2, Sigma 35mm 1.4, Sigma 85 1.4, Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS, Tamron SP AF 1.4x TC | Lights - 430ex ii x2, Random 3rd party strobes

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 27, 2013 18:06 |  #130
bannedPermanent ban

drzenitram wrote in post #16070205 (external link)
Me three! I don't think I've ever had the opportunity to see any of your images, besides the test charts, of course!

Me four:D

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

TheLensGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
598 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 27, 2013 18:15 |  #131
bannedPermanent ban

I am sorry, I work 14 hour shifts, by the time I come home its already past bed time for the little one. So I can only do it at the weekend. I only work with family shots and I dont like posting them online (wife has an issue with this). I am hoping to post a thread with lots of pictures this weekend/next week.

That being said, I want to reiterate what I said earlier about the 2x extender. This lens is just amazing with the 2x extender. The difference between the zoom and the prime is even more pronounced using the extender. I cannot believe the IQ I get using the extender.

Zivnuska
Goldmember
3,650 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 28, 2013 06:32 |  #132

TheLensGuy wrote in post #16071007 (external link)
I am hoping to post a thread with lots of pictures this weekend/next week.

Good.

www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com/blog (external link) = My Blog
Gear List
www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com (external link)

"It's not tight until you see the color of the irides."

jrbdmb
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 28, 2013 11:02 |  #133

TheLensGuy wrote in post #16071007 (external link)
I am sorry, I work 14 hour shifts, by the time I come home its already past bed time for the little one. So I can only do it at the weekend. I only work with family shots and I dont like posting them online (wife has an issue with this). I am hoping to post a thread with lots of pictures this weekend/next week.

That being said, I want to reiterate what I said earlier about the 2x extender. This lens is just amazing with the 2x extender. The difference between the zoom and the prime is even more pronounced using the extender. I cannot believe the IQ I get using the extender.

I get not posting your family shots online - so just take a 10 minute walk around your yard or neighborhood, take a picture of some flowers or an interesting tree, the local dog or cat, whatever. Just not another photo of a blank wall please. :)

Tools: 70D, 10-22, Tamron 24-70 VC, 70-300L, 135 f2L

Zweihaender
110 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 28, 2013 20:59 |  #134

jrbdmb wrote in post #16072927 (external link)
the local dog or cat

I can deliver both:

IMAGE: http://s7.directupload.net/images/130629/yrvevoxz.jpg
Sand Cat (Zoo) behind glass, ISO 3200, 5D2

IMAGE: http://s1.directupload.net/images/130629/k9x5ejdb.jpg
Australian Shepherd, puppy training, 5D3

I don't like the 200mm f2.0 combined with a 2x extender. The sharpness is still good, but you lose a lot of contrast.

RickRandhawa
599 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 28, 2013 21:07 |  #135

Zweihaender wrote in post #16074513 (external link)
I can deliver both:

I don't like the 200mm f2.0 combined with a 2x extender. The sharpness is still good, but you lose a lot of contrast.

Whatever dude, not nearly as nice as a focus chart taped to a wall. Haha j/k

OHH man, beautiful shots....must...resist​. My buddy is selling this lens and I go back and forth daily on if I should buy it.

P.S. Ever try it with a 1.4x?

sponsored links

23,171 views & 0 likes for this thread
70-200 2.8 IS II vs 200 2.0
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.