Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 26 Jun 2013 (Wednesday) 07:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Does ETTL-II work in Bounce Mode?

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,422 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 27, 2013 14:54 |  #16

Roxie2401 wrote in post #16066051 (external link)
This is driving me nuts, and I'm not that familiar with using a flash - yet.

I think I understand how ETTL-II on a 580EX II works when the flash is aimed straight ahead but does it work when the flash is used for bounce (with or without the little white card extended)? Or, is this more or less trial and error in getting correct exposure when using bounce?

And, sort or related, am I correct in thinking that the "zoom" function with the flash matching the zoom lens setting only works with the flash head straight ahead, too?

Sorry for the basic question - I'm traveling and only packed the camera manual - didn't bring the flash manual and have never used bounce before.

First, yes it works, as has been discussed.
Second, ETTL doesn't mean you'll be able to stop the lens down and shoot at iso 100, you'll still need to accommodate the limited power of the flash. I normally will try to set the camera to be within at least three stops of ambient light, and then use ETTL to make up the difference on the subject. This may mean using iso 800 and f/2.8, despite using flash. You may find that if the room is quite large you may still need to use iso's as high as 3200; as where you couldn't get the shot before you will be able to with the flash.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Roxie2401
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 27, 2013 16:01 as a reply to  @ Scatterbrained's post |  #17

Sorry - a little more clarification - if the camera is in full manual (M) mode, will FEL (or the pre-flash) still work if the flash is also in manual mode?

It seems that FEL may but I don't see how there would be a pre-flash if not using ETTL.

What am I missing?

By the way - Thank You all so much for responding. Sometimes I feel "out there all alone" except of this forum.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,692 posts
Gallery: 132 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 27, 2013 16:05 |  #18

Roxie2401 wrote in post #16070667 (external link)
Sorry - a little more clarification - if the camera is in full manual (M) mode, will FEL (or the pre-flash) still work if the flash is also in manual mode?

It seems that FEL may but I don't see how there would be a pre-flash if not using ETTL.

What am I missing?

By the way - Thank You all so much for responding. Sometimes I feel "out there all alone" except of this forum.

No. There is no FEL if the flash in manual mode as the flash is not determining exposure, it just fires at the set power without preflash.

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Jun 27, 2013 16:15 |  #19

Roxie2401 wrote in post #16066785 (external link)
This will sound silly, but how do you suggest that I "check that the flash actually was able to provide enough light?"

Take test shots beforehand with the flash set to manual and full 1/1 power. If the shots are too dark then it means your flash cannot illuminate the scene correctly so you need to make adjustments.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,050 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 27, 2013 17:32 |  #20

Yes, ETTL straight will be same as ETTL bounced, assuming the flash has not run out of power due to loss of efficiency due to ceiling bounce.

ETTL

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/IMG_7750_zps2d2c4d01.jpg

ETTL ceiling bounce
IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/IMG_7751_zpse928a99c.jpg

But ETTL thru a softbox does not always work quite as flawlessly as simple ceiling bounce, for some not-understood reason.
IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/IMG_7753_zpsdda4a6d9.jpg
pretty close in this case, which is pretty close to my subject (which is no larger than a human head)

Yet in this comparison, while straight flash and ETTL bounce both resulted in similar results in overall exposure, the softbox modified shot was overexposed.

straight flash
IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/IMG_4872.jpg
Ceiling bounce ETTL
IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/IMG_4873.jpg

Softbox ETTL
IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/IMG_4871.jpg

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7,009 views & 0 likes for this thread
Does ETTL-II work in Bounce Mode?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.