Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 16 Jun 2013 (Sunday) 20:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Remote shutter release with 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT

swldstn
977 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 16, 2013 20:34 |  #1

So I can place my ST-E3-RT (as a master) on the 1DX or 5DIII and trigger the camera from the remote 600EX-RT set up as a slave. Then using menu2 to bring up the REL and trigger it all.

Now is there anyway to reverse the process and use the flash as a master at the camera and trigger the camera from a ST-E3-RT held in my hand?

Also currently if I want to use my Sekonic 758DR with the Canon 600EX-RT flashes and ST-E3-RT I ended up getting a Pocket wizard to trigger the camera, which, triggers the flashes. It works great but using two radio systems is a little bit of a pain and pretty expensive. Anyone got any better ideas here as well.

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Love to Shoot - a Digital SLR (and now a Mirroless ILC) are my weapons of choice
Gear List

sponsored links
digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,289 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 16, 2013 23:16 |  #2

I have not explored this but with the cameras you mentioned there is a linked shooting option which would I think would do what you asked. Pg 70 of the manual which I can post here upon request.

You cannot use your Sekonic to fire any Canon RT gear. Canon RT only plays nice with Canon RT. I called Sekonic and they have no plans to develop a Canon friendly RT module. I carry my STE3 with me along with my L-358. I fire the flash/flashes in manual and group mode with the STE3 test button and adjust flash output power via the STE3 at each flash location. I cut the foot stand to size and attached a spare BR connector.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i33.photobucket​.com …s/d74/Zenon1/_S​7A9539.jpg (external link)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

swldstn
THREAD ­ STARTER
977 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 17, 2013 18:06 |  #3

What I have not found is a way to set up the ST-E3-RT to do remote shutter release when its not on the camera as a master. I would like to carry it and then use it to trigger the shutter release on either another ST-E3-RT on the camera or if necessary an 600EX-RT.

As I said in my original post the other way around works. Where a 600EX-RT slave with REL on menu2 is used can trigger a ST-E3-RT to release the shutter.

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Love to Shoot - a Digital SLR (and now a Mirroless ILC) are my weapons of choice
Gear List

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,853 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jun 17, 2013 18:43 |  #4

swldstn wrote in post #16040172 (external link)
What I have not found is a way to set up the ST-E3-RT to do remote shutter release when its not on the camera as a master. I would like to carry it and then use it to trigger the shutter release on either another ST-E3-RT on the camera or if necessary an 600EX-RT.

As I said in my original post the other way around works. Where a 600EX-RT slave with REL on menu2 is used can trigger a ST-E3-RT to release the shutter.

Have you tried setting up the camera, flash and the ST-E3 RT for Linked Shooting? Below is an excerpt from the "Linked Shooting" chapter:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

...Leo

swldstn
THREAD ­ STARTER
977 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 17, 2013 21:58 |  #5

Leo, this is almost there.

a) Set ST-E3-RT (off camera) to Master Linked and set the channel and ID of the ST-E3-RT (per the detailed directions)
b) Set 600EX-RT (on camera) to Slave Linked and set the channel and ID to match the ST-E3-RT

The ST-E3-RT has the REL button and it will trigger the shutter on the camera. But the flash won't go off but maybe its not really meant to? Just need that third step which I'm not sure of but I've made some progress. I do have two more 600EX-RT to add to see what I can figure out.

Anyone else have an idea if I'm missing a step. Did check that the camera has the flash firing enabled ( a tip in the manual).

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Gear List

swldstn
THREAD ­ STARTER
977 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 18, 2013 18:59 |  #6

Come on! Someone must know the missing step on how to do this. Or if you know its not possible let us know.

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Gear List

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,933 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 21, 2013 09:02 as a reply to  @ swldstn's post |  #7

It's personal function 7 (P.Fn 07) in the flash that controls whether the linked slave camera's flash units will also fire, not just release the camera they are mounted on.

Can't be set from the camera, but has to be set on the flash itself.

Anders

swldstn
THREAD ­ STARTER
977 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 26, 2013 21:26 |  #8

Will give it a try

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Gear List

swldstn
THREAD ­ STARTER
977 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 26, 2013 21:50 |  #9

apersson850 wrote in post #16051360 (external link)
It's personal function 7 (P.Fn 07) in the flash that controls whether the linked slave camera's flash units will also fire, not just release the camera they are mounted on.

Can't be set from the camera, but has to be set on the flash itself.

Anders nailed the missing piece! Here are my steps now.

a) Set ST-E3-RT (off camera) to Master Linked and set the channel and ID of the ST-E3-RT (per the detailed directions).

b) Set 600EX-RT (on camera) to Slave Linked and set the channel and ID to match the ST-E3-RT

c) set the personal function 7 (P.Fn 07 ) on the on-camera 600EX-RT to 1:On for linked shot. This is done by going to Menu 3 and first holding down the Zm/C. Fn button till it gets in C. Fn mode and the select P. Fn and set option 07 On.

Now your ready. The off camera ST-E3-RT will trigger the shutter using the on-Camera 600EX-RT when you press its REL Button and also trigger the slave flashes!

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Gear List

Palladium
Goldmember
3,905 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 26, 2013 22:04 |  #10

swldstn wrote in post #16068427 (external link)

a) Set ST-E3-RT (off camera) to Master Linked and set the channel and ID of the ST-E3-RT (per the detailed directions).

c) set the personal function 7 (P.Fn 07 ) on the on-camera 600EX-RT to 1:On for linked shot. This is done by going to Menu 3 and first holding down the Zm/C. Fn button till it gets in C. Fn mode and the select P. Fn and set option 07 On.

Now your ready. The off camera ST-E3-RT will trigger the shutter using the on-Camera 600EX-RT when you press its REL Button and also trigger the slave flashes!

thanks will try tomorrow

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,853 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jun 26, 2013 22:18 |  #11

swldstn wrote in post #16068427 (external link)

The ST-E3 doesn't trigger the slave flash, does it? If it did, then it wouldn't be in sync with the camera that's also triggered by the ST-E3. The ST-E3 triggers the camera which in turn triggers the on-camera flash via the hot shoe connection, right? :)

...Leo

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,933 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 27, 2013 05:08 as a reply to  @ PacAce's post |  #12

Technically yes. But since there's no flash from the ST-E3-RT, it looks like it's the same thing.
I tried putting a 600 EX-RT on a 7D, flash in linked shooting master mode, then putting another 600 EX-RT on the 1DX, flash in linked shooting slave mode. This setup works so that when you take a picture with the 7D, then the 1DX will follow suit a few tenths of seconds later.

If you then set P.Fn 07 on for both flashes, the time difference between the two is of course much more noticeable than it is between a non-flashing master and the slave. Even if it really is the same.
Other cameras than a 1DX can be slaves too, but a 7D for example requires an SR-N3 remote trigger cable.

Anders

swldstn
THREAD ­ STARTER
977 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 27, 2013 18:06 |  #13

PacAce wrote in post #16068501 (external link)
The ST-E3 doesn't trigger the slave flash, does it? If it did, then it wouldn't be in sync with the camera that's also triggered by the ST-E3. The ST-E3 triggers the camera which in turn triggers the on-camera flash via the hot shoe connection, right? :)

Well, the ST-E3-RT off camera as the master in linked mode.
I believe it first communicates to the linked slave to trigger and then the camera triggers the flash but for me there is no real way to tell if the slave is doing both. i.e. triggering the camera shutter and flash at the same time. Does anyone have a way to tell?

Steve

p.s. I'm just happy I finally got it working.

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Gear List

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,853 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jun 27, 2013 19:53 |  #14

swldstn wrote in post #16070992 (external link)
Well, the ST-E3-RT off camera as the master in linked mode.
I believe it first communicates to the linked slave to trigger and then the camera triggers the flash but for me there is no real way to tell if the slave is doing both. i.e. triggering the camera shutter and flash at the same time. Does anyone have a way to tell?

Steve

p.s. I'm just happy I finally got it working.

Yes, it's very easy to tell. If the flash lit the shot taken by the camera, then it was triggered by the camera and not the ST-E3. If the flash isn't evident in the shot, then the flash was triggered by the ST-E3. ;)

...Leo

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,933 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 28, 2013 03:01 as a reply to  @ PacAce's post |  #15

No worries, it works. I've tried the same thing, almost. The only difference was that I used two 600 EX-RT, instead of one ST-E3-RT and one flash. You can even use several cameras, with flashes and/or transmitters on both, and fire one camera with the master and the slaves will follow. In that case the master camera's flash (if there is a flash, and it's set to fire) will fire a split second before the slaves. Then the slaves fire more or less at the same time, and if they do manage to fire at the same time (longer exposure times makes this more probable), then there's a clear risk that they illuminate each other's images. That's why the default setting here is that the linking flash does not fire, just release the slave camera. But if you do set it to fire, then it will fire in sync with the camera it's mounted on.

Anders

sponsored links

5,954 views & 0 likes for this thread
Remote shutter release with 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.