Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 26 Jun 2013 (Wednesday) 19:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony's new RX100MII and RX1R

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 26, 2013 19:56 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

Sony's rumored to be unveiling two new point-and-shoots later this month, but a pair of leaked press shots at least spoil how both cameras are going to look. First up, the RX100MII, rumored to pack an updated 20-megapixel sensor and Zeiss lens as well as tilt-screen and WiFi connectivity, has a relatively simple face dominated by that aforementioned Carl Zeiss glass. Meanwhile, the RX1R, a refresh of Sony's full-frame RX1, arrives with a new focus settings dial and hot-shoe fitting all visible in its initial press shot reveal. We're sure Sony will fill us in on all the remaining details soon.

http://www.engadget.co​m …sic&utm_campaig​n=Engadget (external link)

Canon, wake up you lazy f.......s

Gear List

sponsored links
BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 26, 2013 20:26 |  #2

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #16068098 (external link)

LOL!! bw!

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,078 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 27, 2013 07:22 |  #3

If Canon released a full frame version of the S100 with a fixed 35mm F2 lens for under 2k. My god would that sell.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

nekrosoft13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 27, 2013 09:25 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

that needs to release a lot of things, they are getting more and more behind....

7D replacement, D7100 been out for a while
60D replacement.... a good replacement
a NEW Rebel... no more of this T3i, T4i , T5i crap with minor to no improvements.
high megapixel camera..... answer to D800
FINALLY RELEASE CAMERAS WITH NO AA FILTER
NEW SENSOR TECH - look above, probably why they haven't removed AA filter yet
S1xxG1x series are seriously lacking....Panasonic, Olympus, fuji all have better cameras
a decent mirroless camera.... again Olympus, Panasonic, Sony, Fuji even Samsung makes better Mirrorless cameras
D600 answer.... sorry 6D isn't it
full frame compact...
large sensor compact.... G1x isn't it
oh and their lens lineup needs a lot of work!

Gear List

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 27, 2013 12:12 |  #5

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #16068098 (external link)

They are too busy making money creating products people actually buy, rather than ones that people say are cool, but don't buy in large quantities.

Look at Amazon best sellers list. RX100 is at #20, but Canon has about 25 of the top 50.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

Rittrato
Goldmember
1,224 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 27, 2013 20:25 |  #6

tkbslc wrote in post #16070021 (external link)
They are too busy making money creating products people actually buy, rather than ones that people say are cool, but don't buy in large quantities.

Look at Amazon best sellers list. RX100 is at #20, but Canon has about 25 of the top 50.

Yeah. Sony is about revolution, Canon is ever evolving.

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 27, 2013 20:34 |  #7

Nail, meet hammer.

These items are fun and all but they interest such a small market segment. Sony NEEDS to take these chances. Canon isn't in the same situation and probably isn't too motivated to pursue every little nook and cranny of photography.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

nekrosoft13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 27, 2013 21:18 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

yes and Justin Bieber is popular on music charts, so enjoy listening to that.

what popular ≠ good product

Gear List

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 27, 2013 23:33 |  #9

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #16071412 (external link)
yes and Justin Bieber is popular on music charts, so enjoy listening to that.

what popular ≠ good product

What is popular pays the bills, though. Sony isn't paying the bills. Besides, it is not like Canon's products suck, they just aren't cutting edge in most cases.

http://www.nytimes.com …l?hpw&pagewante​d=all&_r=0 (external link)

Sony has lost 8.5 BILLION dollars in the past decade making electronics.

Canon expects to make 4.5 billion just in this year. http://www.reuters.com …les-idUSBRE93N08K20130424 (external link)

I just don't agree with the ridiculous statements like Canon doesn't know what they are doing. They are a business trying to maximize profits. They aren't entering a camera engineering contest for bragging rights. Although, 1DX kills anything Sony has made, ever.

Taylor

mag10
357 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 28, 2013 02:39 |  #10

Not sure how you sorted your list or when you looked this up, but as of now, the the new RX100 is at #3 for all digital cameras.

http://www.amazon.com …/ref=zg_bs_nav_​e_2_502394 (external link)

Yes, #1 and 2 are Canon cameras, but they are also priced at $79 and $199, respectively. Cheaper cameras will of course sell at higher quantities.

If you look in the compact systems cameras subcategory, then the new RX100 is #1, and Sony has 6 in the top 20. Canon has 1, likely because it's at a relatively low price point.

Ultimately, I don't think you can glean much from Amazon's best seller's list, other than to see what the top selling 20-30 products for a category are. The specific rankings constantly change. The main thing I want to address is the suggestion that Canon can do no wrong and should continue to do what they are doing because they have been successful. That kind of blind loyalty makes no sense to me because there is no question that Canon can improve on many of their product offerings, and if nothing else, they can offer much better value for the prices they charge. I mean seriously, how does it make sense for anyone to charge $500 for a standalone wireless transmitter or $300 for a standalone GPS receiver these days? Those are pretty much standard features of any electronics product these days. If you ask me, it's embarrassing that Canon has not included those features in all of their cameras for the past 2-3 years. Don't even mention how long it took them to incorporate radio communications for their flash units.

That said, I do realize that Canon can do this because people like those of us on this forum continue to buy their products anyways. That doesn't mean, however, that we shouldn't demand that Canon further improve their products and give us more for our money. The only way this will happen, of course, is if the competition continues to innovate and release better products and Canon sees us going away. When I looked for a compact camera, I bought a Sony RX100 because it was a better product than the S100. So I'm, glad that Sony has come out with these two new cameras and that other competitors are also coming up with better products. It gives us consumers more choices and puts more pressure on Canon to improve on their products.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III | Sony DSC-RX100M3 | Canon EF 16-35 f/4 L IS USM EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM | Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM ART | Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT Dedicated flash ST-E3 RT controller

mpix345
Goldmember
2,849 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 28, 2013 08:41 |  #11

I don't really care at all about which company sells the most cameras or which company makes the most profit. I care about which company is offering me the product I'd most like to buy, and which company is bringing new and interesting technology to the marketplace. In that regard Sony is miles ahead of Canon, for me, at least. Surely different if you are a pro sports shooter, or whatever, but I am not.

nekro may be a tad "over the top", but I can't disagree too much about Canon needing to wake up if they want to keep me as a customer.

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
8,731 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012

Jun 28, 2013 09:16 |  #12

mpix345 wrote in post #16072512 (external link)
I don't really care at all about which company sells the most cameras or which company makes the most profit. I care about which company is offering me the product I'd most like to buy, and which company is bringing new and interesting technology to the marketplace. In that regard Sony is miles ahead of Canon, for me, at least. Surely different if you are a pro sports shooter, or whatever, but I am not.

nekro may be a tad "over the top", but I can't disagree too much about Canon needing to wake up if they want to keep me as a customer.

It matters to the consumer if a company pulls out of a product segment altogether (ie no more new lenses and such). If Sony doesn't start turning a profit on its imaging divisision, its eventually going to get the axe. Sony as a whole is eventually going to have to look at its entire portfolio of products and axe the segments they aren't performing in. The company is spread too thinly both financially and from a marketing/branding standpoint....the comapny's lack of focus is killing them right now.

I agree that Sony is leading the pack in terms of innovation. They have no choice but to innovate in order to compete against the brands that Canon and Nikon have established. Sony is 'innovating' simply by introducing products that Canon and Nikon won't (because they would cannibalize their core products). But making the 'best' and most innovative product does not translate into sales and longevity in the market.

I used this example in another thread.....but Pioneer was long revered by revierwers and entusiasts for making the best television sets. TV manufacturers still have not reached the image quality benchmarks that pioneer was setting with the Elites close to a decade ago. Where are Pioneer TV's now? They're selling at a premium in the used market now because as good as Pioneer was, they failed to penetrate the market and eventually pulled out of the TV segment.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

mpix345
Goldmember
2,849 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 28, 2013 09:32 |  #13

Damn mystik, I think you and I made these same posts a little while back. I am a happy Pioneer plasma owner :). I have to spend less time on POTN...

I agree about Sony needing to do more to compete. But I don't necessarily agree that Canon or Nikon choose not to innovate to avoid cannibalization, or that if they are choosing that strategy it is the correct one.

The phrase Innovate or Die is over-used I suppose, but still applicable. Canon should not sit back on their past success and market position and wait until they are passed by to react.

If Canon, for example, has an RX100 type option for the S line why not roll it out? That would've gone a long way toward them keeping a lock on that market segment. As it stands, half a dozen competitors are now taking chunks out of the high end P&S market. Better to cannibalize than be eaten by someone else.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 28, 2013 10:20 |  #14

mag10 wrote in post #16071953 (external link)
Not sure how you sorted your list or when you looked this up, but as of now, the the new RX100 is at #3 for all digital cameras.

It is updated hourly, so it changes. I agree probably not reliable. However, financial statement are reliable and they point to Sony not making money at this game.

So I'm, glad that Sony has come out with these two new cameras and that other competitors are also coming up with better products. It gives us consumers more choices and puts more pressure on Canon to improve on their products.

Like I said in my last post, the only reason I get bent out of shape is because certain people (like the OP) are always saying Canon are idiots or they've lost it, etc. I like competition and honestly want an RX100. However, the RX100 is really just an extension of the S90.. Sony finally wanted in on the premium compact market and decided they'd cram a bigger sensor in there. Canon invented the segment!

Taylor

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,829 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Jun 28, 2013 11:26 |  #15

I have the very fine Pioneer Elite plasma TV. The problem Pioneer had wasn't just sales volume. From what I read and heard, they lost money on every plasma TV they sold. That isn't a good way to run a company, hence the demise of the Elite.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

sponsored links

3,772 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sony's new RX100MII and RX1R
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.