Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 26 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 10:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 28, 2013 08:17 |  #1696

nicksan wrote in post #16071612 (external link)
You mentioned that there was a problem with the modifier knob on the CL light getting in the way?

Also, pardon my ignorance, so if I buy the Kacey/Eli adapter, I can use reflectors like these?

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …ors/ci/14361/N/​4232861524 (external link)

Are some of these reflectors such as this one (http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …xi_Spot_Reflect​or_29.html (external link)) meant to intensify the light? What does this mean in practical terms shooting portraits outdoors? For example, will this help me overcome intense sunlight when used with the CL-360, for example?

Nick,
I was observing that the knob is quite close to the edge. Practically speaking its probably not going to make any difference. it will just put a slight sideways pressure on the CL.

Nick,
I was getting ready for a shoot this afternoon, so I took a minute to mount two CL-360s on the Kacey bracket with an Elinchrom adapter ring installed in the Elinchrom mount.
As you can see, the knobs touch the ring but do not imped its being attached to the mount or detached.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

sponsored links
nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 28, 2013 09:39 |  #1697

dmward wrote in post #16072433 (external link)
Nick,
I was observing that the knob is quite close to the edge. Practically speaking its probably not going to make any difference. it will just put a slight sideways pressure on the CL.

Will these "intensifying" reflector give me more effective power? Just want to know exactly what I am getting into!

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 28, 2013 10:05 |  #1698

I got Cheetah's Birthday celebration email this morning.
I was cruising around the site looking to see if there was anything I needed to take advantage of the discount and free shipping. I noticed THIS (external link). I don't know if the discount code from the email will work but its worth a try if anyone is planning to order the CL-360 as soon as the shipment arrives.

(Just to keep the moderators happy; I think its obvious to those following this thread that I've helped Edward test the Cells-IIc with the Cheetah Light. I have no financial interest in the company. Edward is a nice guy and offers great customer service, I know because I've taken advantage of it with my Cheetah Stands.)

Just thought this was worth mentioning. Hope Edward doesn't get mad because I'm suggesting people take advantage of him. :-)

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 28, 2013 10:20 |  #1699

dmward wrote in post #16072433 (external link)
Nick,
I was getting ready for a shoot this afternoon, so I took a minute to mount two CL-360s on the Kacey bracket with an Elinchrom adapter ring installed in the Elinchrom mount.
As you can see, the knobs touch the ring but do not imped its being attached to the mount or detached.

OK, I am a little confused here! :lol:

So there's the Kasey/Eli adapter, which is the black piece. Is there something else I need to buy in order to use the Elinchrom stuff? You mentioned the Elinchrom adapter ring. What is that used for?

Apologies once again for my ignorance!

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 28, 2013 10:32 |  #1700

nicksan wrote in post #16072790 (external link)
OK, I am a little confused here! :lol:

So there's the Kasey/Eli adapter, which is the black piece. Is there something else I need to buy in order to use the Elinchrom stuff? You mentioned the Elinchrom adapter ring. What is that used for?

Apologies once again for my ignorance!

The Elinchrom adapter ring is to adapt speedrings.

For Elinchrom modifiers, such as the Maxi, you only need the Kacey Elinchrom mount that attaches to his bracket.

So, Elinchrom stuff just the Kacey bracket and Elinchrom mount.

Other soft boxes, with a changeable adapter ring, add the Elinchrom adapter ring to make them useful on the Kacey bracket/mount.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 28, 2013 10:44 |  #1701

dmward wrote in post #16072828 (external link)
The Elinchrom adapter ring is to adapt speedrings.

For Elinchrom modifiers, such as the Maxi, you only need the Kacey Elinchrom mount that attaches to his bracket.

So, Elinchrom stuff just the Kacey bracket and Elinchrom mount.

Other soft boxes, with a changeable adapter ring, add the Elinchrom adapter ring to make them useful on the Kacey bracket/mount.

Gotcha! Thanks for all the useful info.

tetrode
THREAD ­ STARTER
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 28, 2013 11:46 as a reply to  @ nicksan's post |  #1702

If you don't absolutely need to accommodate two CL-360s, Kacey's single vertical mount would be a better choice than the double vertical mount:

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7443/9160840664_e400cf258b_o.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7396/9158617865_f523ebf451_o.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2871/9160840772_ae6b546afb_o.jpg

As you can see, the circular opening of the SVM has a large enough diameter to allow the head of a CL-360 to pass through, centered, with a smidgen of room to spare. Like a supertanker passing through the Panama Canal.

DDL
453 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 28, 2013 13:09 |  #1703

tetrode wrote in post #16073068 (external link)
If you don't absolutely need to accommodate two CL-360s, Kacey's single vertical mount would be a better choice than the double vertical mount

I bought the double as in my mind it's better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it!

If using for a single light then I just don't attach the top mounting bracket to the main piece so it ends up being slightly bulkier than the single only mount.

DDL

GearList

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 28, 2013 13:26 |  #1704

tetrode wrote in post #16073068 (external link)
If you don't absolutely need to accommodate two CL-360s, Kacey's single vertical mount would be a better choice than the double vertical mount:

As you can see, the circular opening of the SVM has a large enough diameter to allow the head of a CL-360 to pass through, centered, with a smidgen of room to spare. Like a supertanker passing through the Panama Canal.

:lol:

Thanks a bunch for this info. Have to order the adapter from Kacey.

BTW, I've asked this several times already, so don't mean to be a pest. Would some of these reflectors give me more effective "power" from the CL-360 to shoot people in the sun?

What's the one in the photos you just posted?

abbadon31
Goldmember
4,997 posts
Gallery: 264 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 28, 2013 13:40 |  #1705

tetrode wrote in post #16071359 (external link)
Time to wake up this thread again:

I was curious what kind of meter readings I'd get from a CL-360 paired with an Elinchrom Maxilite reflector. The Maxilite and CL-360 were mounted on my Elinchrom modified Speed Pro bracket and to the backyard we went.

The setup:

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

I mounted an aluminum disk I had on hand inside the Maxilite to minimize spill out the back (besides, it looks neater):

QUOTED IMAGE

With the CL-360 at full power and the meter set to ISO 200, I took readings at 5 feet, 6 feet, and 8 feet. This is what the meter had to say:

5 feet: f/64.5

6 feet: f/64.0

8 feet: f/45.7

No real surprise; the CL-360 in a Maxilte puts out a prodigious amount of light:

QUOTED IMAGE

Nice
I like it
almost the same output of quadra setup

I might have to take the jump on a 360

I AM SHOM

tetrode
THREAD ­ STARTER
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 28, 2013 14:13 |  #1706

DDL wrote in post #16073297 (external link)
I bought the double as in my mind it's better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it!

If using for a single light then I just don't attach the top mounting bracket to the main piece so it ends up being slightly bulkier than the single only mount.

You're missing the point. Jerry Kacey's double bracket is fine for conventional shoe mount flash units but somewhat less so for the CL-180 and CL-360. The width of the opening of the double vertical mount is 3-1/2". The diameter of the opening of the single vertical mount is 4". Even a single CL-360 head cannot be centered in the opening of the DVM unless the flash body is positioned far enough forward such that the accessory locking knob is moved ahead of the DVM. That position places the flash tube farther forward than is optimal for many modifiers/reflectors.

The 4" diameter opening of the SVM is, as my photos showed, just wide enough to allow perfect positioning of the flash body AND flash tube. The discussion was based upon the premise that only a single flash was being used. So, if you're using a single CL-180 or CL-360, the Kacey bracket with the single vertical mount is definitely preferable to the double.

Chad ­ D
224 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 28, 2013 14:28 |  #1707

Great info thanks :)

tetrode wrote in post #16073460 (external link)
You're missing the point. Jerry Kacey's double bracket is fine for conventional shoe mount flash units but somewhat less so for the CL-180 and CL-360. The width of the opening of the double vertical mount is 3-1/2". The diameter of the opening of the single vertical mount is 4". Even a single CL-360 head cannot be centered in the opening of the DVM unless the flash body is positioned far enough forward such that the accessory locking knob is moved ahead of the DVM. That position places the flash tube farther forward than is optimal for many modifiers/reflectors.

The 4" diameter opening of the SVM is, as my photos showed, just wide enough to allow perfect positioning of the flash body AND flash tube. The discussion was based upon the premise that only a single flash was being used. So, if you're using a single CL-180 or CL-360, the Kacey bracket with the single vertical mount is definitely preferable to the double.

ChadDahlquist.com (external link) - photography site
HappyFish.com (external link) - post production services for professional photographers

CheetahStand
106 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 28, 2013 15:43 as a reply to  @ Chad D's post |  #1708

Wow! Score 100!
What a surprise birthday gift from our customer (CL-180 owner) on Cheetah's 4 year birthday!
http://www.foto-gizmo.blogspot.com/ (external link)

Edward Tang
info@cheetahstand.com (external link)
www.cheetahstand.com (external link)
www.cheetahstand.net (external link)
Follow me on Facebook https://www.facebook.c​om/CheetahStand?ref=hl (external link)

Chad ­ D
224 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 28, 2013 16:20 |  #1709

does anyone have the Elinchrom quadra adapter and a 180 or 360 and does the head fit through the smaller opening designed for the quadra head ?
thanks

ChadDahlquist.com (external link) - photography site
HappyFish.com (external link) - post production services for professional photographers

Gareth ­ O'Neill
42 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Jun 28, 2013 16:55 |  #1710

nicksan wrote in post #16073345 (external link)
:lol:
BTW, I've asked this several times already, so don't mean to be a pest. Would some of these reflectors give me more effective "power" from the CL-360 to shoot people in the sun?

You can't get more out of a flash than it is physically capable of putting out.

The idea with all of the tele/spot reflector (available from other manufacturers too) is to focus the light into a smaller spread.

This focused light intensifies it in the area that is covered (shown in degrees) and no light is wasted elsewhere.

Whether this will help you to battle the sun will depend on how much coverage of your subjects you need.

You don't get something for nothing.

kidsphotos.co.nz (external link)

sponsored links

1,390,313 views & 273 likes for this thread
A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.