Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 21 May 2013 (Tuesday) 15:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Mac or PC?

mraloha
44 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 27, 2013 23:59 |  #61

I bought my first Mac (Macbook Pro) 3 years ago just to play with OS X. Original intent was this to be my play machine (to do simple things like make photo books with iPhoto) and use my Dell XPS tower computer for "real work." Well, after I got the Macbook Pro and got used to the different keyboard shortcuts, I never touched my PC again. Since then I have upgraded to a Macbook Pro Retina, and have no plans to go back to a Windows PC.

sponsored links
MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Jun 28, 2013 20:40 |  #62

keyfox11 wrote in post #16065344 (external link)
I stand corrected. I'll still stick with my Mac tho ;)

There's some confusion about what constitutes a 'virus'. Non-techies and media tend to lump spyware, malware, and trojan's into the virus category, which they are not. As far as I've been able to find, there is only one OS X viruses with two variants. To be a virus it must be able to self replicate and infect a machine on it's own. So far, the only one to exist doesn't do much and has already been identified and patched. There are currently ten's of thousands of viruses for Windows machines. That number goes into the millions if you add spyware, malware, and trojans. Statistics say as much as 90% of PC's right now have some form of spyware, malware, trojan, or virus on them and that those are the number one reason people upgrade their PC's (due to slow down).

Don't install software that hasn't been signed by Apple, update your OS, and the chances of you being infected or hacked is extremely remote.

Corbeau
377 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Jun 28, 2013 20:59 |  #63

Corbeau wrote in post #16046954 (external link)
In my case -- a polycarbonate case -- my basic MacBook from 2008 has kept me happy, despite a measly 1G of RAM. It's now time to upgrade, (MacBook Pro, non-retina, 8G of RAM) but I'm hesitating between the i5 chip and the i7. There's a $300 price difference that I could perhaps put in the L lens acquisition fund. (LR5, PS CC will be the most horsepower-hungry applications, by the way...)

Damm, I'm quoting myself... will I go blind if I keep doing it? :oops: )

Well, my 8GB l7 MacBookPro (non retina) is now on a boat from China and should arrive on July 7.

So I'm still Mac. (and now reading up on migration)

Look and think before opening the shutter. The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera. -- Yousuf Karsh

keyfox11
90 posts
Joined May 2013

Jul 03, 2013 14:54 |  #64

Congrats on the new toy... sorry, tool. :D

-Malcolm-
Murphy's law states: 'If you drop your camera, the L will ALWAYS hit first!
I thrive on comments...
Gear List

Corbeau
377 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Jul 03, 2013 16:36 |  #65

Thanks keyfox... Unfortunately, I was out walking the puppy (search for Tucker and my username) when the UPS guy showed up with it. He left a note and I'll have to wait a long day to play... sorry use the new MBP...

Look and think before opening the shutter. The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera. -- Yousuf Karsh

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
17,283 posts
Gallery: 444 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 03, 2013 16:40 |  #66

MAC.

| VINZ - SONY A7RIV/A73//A6000/FDR-X3000 | Sigma105 | FE1635F4 } Tamron 17-28 Tamron 28-75 | FE50F1.8 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 04, 2013 13:57 |  #67

vinmunoz wrote in post #16088560 (external link)
MAC.

Don't you mean PC? :D

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
17,283 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 04, 2013 14:20 |  #68

When you go MAC, you'll never go back to PC (unless you're a gamer). So stay in PC.. for photographers and graphic designer/artist, i think MAC is the best for the job. Just my honest opinion.

I'm not starting a war, I'm just stating my personal opinion.

| VINZ - SONY A7RIV/A73//A6000/FDR-X3000 | Sigma105 | FE1635F4 } Tamron 17-28 Tamron 28-75 | FE50F1.8 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 04, 2013 17:22 |  #69
bannedPermanent ban

PC isn't an one trick pony, like Mac ;)

Gear List

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
17,283 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 04, 2013 18:08 |  #70

As i said. I'm just stating my opinion like you do. Have fun with what you like.

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 05, 2013 12:08 |  #71

vinmunoz wrote in post #16091277 (external link)
When you go MAC, you'll never go back to PC (unless you're a gamer). So stay in PC.. for photographers and graphic designer/artist, i think MAC is the best for the job. Just my honest opinion.

I'm not starting a war, I'm just stating my personal opinion.

Simple question - why?

I'm not interested in a flame war either but I am interested in why you think they are better for photography / graphic design.

I am a freelance photographer and my son is into Graphic design and we both use PC and have done for years without any problems.

I did consider getting a MAC because I do like the way they look but would have had to have WIN 7 installed to run certain client software that will just not run on MAC.

When I looked at the lack of internal storage, lack of proper cooling and zero over clock potential of the MAC's plus concerns over the reflective screen and the inability to run NVIDIA graphics solution (I also use Premiere Pro with it's Mercury Playback engine is CUDA optimized) I just could not make the case for MAC in my own mind.

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 05, 2013 12:49 |  #72

Nightstalker wrote in post #16093833 (external link)
I did consider getting a MAC because I do like the way they look but would have had to have WIN 7 installed to run certain client software that will just not run on MAC.

I have some Win software that I run on my Mac, but it's mostly for lab instruments and data analysis. Have to boot up Win 7 in Fusion, though.

When I looked at the lack of internal storage, lack of proper cooling and zero over clock potential of the MAC's

Many people think those are advantages because of the smaller footprint and dead silent computers (except when using Handbrake or Aperture (which really pushes the gpu). I'm also uncertain what you mean about "lack of proper cooling".

plus concerns over the reflective screen

This is why I bought a Mac Mini.

and the inability to run NVIDIA graphics solution (I also use Premiere Pro with it's Mercury Playback engine is CUDA optimized) I just could not make the case for MAC in my own mind.

I think it's more a reflection on the laziness of Adobe's programmers. If they would start using OpenCL that would obviate the need for writing CUDA-specific code. Apple uses OpenCL, thus gpu apps (Aperture, Pixelmator, NIK suite, Final Cut, etc.) don't care if you have an NVidia, AMD or (to a lesser extent) Intel gpu chipset.

But really, it mostly comes down to personal preference on which OS suits one the best. What I can say is that when I started my position 7 years ago, all but two of us (18 people) used Windows computers. Now that I've corrupted my colleagues it's about 50/50 Mac/Win. :)

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 05, 2013 16:51 |  #73

Tony-S wrote in post #16093952 (external link)
I have some Win software that I run on my Mac, but it's mostly for lab instruments and data analysis. Have to boot up Win 7 in Fusion, though.

I know that you can dual boot or run visualization on MAC but it was just a complexity that I decided to do without - I have however set my PC to dual boot WIN 7 and OSX (Hackintosh) but I probably only boot into MAC a few times a year.

Many people think those are advantages because of the smaller footprint and dead silent computers (except when using Handbrake or Aperture (which really pushes the gpu). I'm also uncertain what you mean about "lack of proper cooling".

I can see the advantages and I must admit the fans in my PC do drive me nuts at times BUT I can live with it because of the performance I get.

My system is conservatively overclocked from 3.06GHZ to 4GHz with memory running at a stock 1600 MHz. To get this increase reliably I had to improve the cooling with a water cooling kit that brought the operating temps down below what I was getting originally at 3.06GHZ. The form factor (and general anti-fiddle nature) of the MAC would not allow me to uprate anything and I'd be stuck with having to pay £100's extra for a 100MHz speed boost.

This is why I bought a Mac Mini.

Same issues apply with the MAC Mini only more so - I'd use one as a general purpose web surfing machine but as a main PC probably not.

I think it's more a reflection on the laziness of Adobe's programmers. If they would start using OpenCL that would obviate the need for writing CUDA-specific code. Apple uses OpenCL, thus gpu apps (Aperture, Pixelmator, NIK suite, Final Cut, etc.) don't care if you have an NVidia, AMD or (to a lesser extent) Intel gpu chipset.

Agreed, but unfortunately I cannot have any influence on Adobe's lazyness or lack of.

But really, it mostly comes down to personal preference on which OS suits one the best. What I can say is that when I started my position 7 years ago, all but two of us (18 people) used Windows computers. Now that I've corrupted my colleagues it's about 50/50 Mac/Win. :)

I have and do use both (albeit occasionally) - I used to do programming at machine code level back in the early days of Z80, 6502, 8086 and 68000 chips but these days I'm just a user - both OS will allow me to launch different programs and as long as they do that then I'd be fin e with either.

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 05, 2013 17:46 |  #74

Nightstalker wrote in post #16094578 (external link)
Same issues apply with the MAC Mini only more so - I'd use one as a general purpose web surfing machine but as a main PC probably not.

The Mac Mini is probably the easiest to upgrade, next to the Mac Pro. It does real-time edits of my 5Dii and Fuji X-E1 raws, Sigma DP1 Merrill and DP3 Merrill, and 4x5" scans, which are over 360 mb as 16-bit TIFFs using Aperture. I imagine Lightroom would stall with such images.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Jul 09, 2013 16:47 |  #75

FYI

Mac = Apple computer, a.k.a. Macintosh computer

MAC = media access control address, a.k.a. MAC address

Don't know why it bothers me, but I've always been a stickler for grammar and proper usage. :) Cuts down on confusion and keeps things consistant. People will also take you a little more seriously if you know the difference.

sponsored links

9,299 views & 0 likes for this thread
Mac or PC?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.