Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 09 Feb 2013 (Saturday) 11:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

ArcaSwiss Clamp on 498RC2

dhilo2
189 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 09, 2013 11:02 |  #1

I currently have the Manfrotto RC2 QR system however I was looking into converting to ArcaSwiss clamps. I went to the RRS website and they have the QR clamps that I can purchase however I'm not sure which one I need.

I'm not sure on the screw size from the 498RC2 setup. Can anyone help me out?

http://reallyrightstuf​f.com …spx?code=Clamps​LR&key=cat (external link)

EOS 5Dc+BG-E4, 35L, 135 L, 24-70L f2.8, 70-200L f2.8 IS

sponsored links
S_Egbert
224 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 09, 2013 11:37 |  #2

I have the predecessor to your head, the 488RC2. It has a 3/8-16 stud on the ball. I got this clamp from Kirk (external link) that fit perfectly.
Be aware that if you go with a RRS lever clamp you will be limited to plates from the manufacturer and maybe one or two other sources.

Steve

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Feb 09, 2013 11:51 |  #3

S_Egbert wrote in post #15590984 (external link)
I have the predecessor to your head, the 488RC2. It has a 3/8-16 stud on the ball. I got this clamp from Kirk (external link) that fit perfectly.
Be aware that if you go with a RRS lever clamp you will be limited to plates from the manufacturer and maybe one or two other sources.

Not if you get the LR-II (external link) new from RRS. The LR-II will handle most mounting combinations; if your 498RC2 has a 3/8"-16 tap and the post comes off with the RC2 clamp you'd probably want to get a 3/8"-16 stud to replace it with (RRS also sells them); if the stud remains in position, or if the 498 uses some other type of fastener (1/4"-20 or M6 socket) you can reuse the screw that came with the Manfrotto. If the 498 uses (like my 488 did) a 1/4" 20 thread stud, you can pick up an inexpensive 1/4"-20 to 3/8"-16 bushing to put over the stud.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

dhilo2
THREAD ­ STARTER
189 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 09, 2013 12:12 |  #4

I'm not sure on the size. All I know is that the current RC2 clamp is held in place by a hex screw. I'm not too happy with the RC2 setup as when I have my whole camera/lens setup on it there is still a bit of wiggle room and makes me question on how secure it is on there.

I've also been looking into L-brackets for my cameras just because readjusting the tripod when switching between portrait/landscape positions gets tedious after a while. So switching to AS is definitely something I would like to do. The L-bracket that Manfrotto has out currently doesn't really appeal to me.

EOS 5Dc+BG-E4, 35L, 135 L, 24-70L f2.8, 70-200L f2.8 IS

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Feb 09, 2013 16:59 |  #5

It's held on with a hex screw from the top? Probably an M6 - that's the most-frequently used one. But why not give RRS a call? They'll be glad to tell you exactly what you need for your situation.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

msowsun
"approx 8mm"
9,250 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 10, 2013 12:36 |  #6

I have also been thinking about converting my 498RC2. The Manfrotto 494RC2, 496RC2, and 498RC2 all use the same quick release clamp. Yes it is a standard metric M6 screw but the "anti-rotation" cutouts on the 498RC2 stem are the opposite to what I see being used on most Swiss-Arca clamps.

EDIT: This company makes conversion kits with the cutouts correctly orientated for the 498RC2 stem.

http://hejnarphoto.blo​gspot.ca …frotto-496rc2-498rc2.html (external link)

http://www.hejnarphoto​store.com …in_page=index&c​Path=16_41 (external link)

Hejnar Photo M496RC2F62 2-piece desinged for Manfrotto 496/498 stem

IMAGE: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/msowsun/photo%20stuff/Photo10/IMG_7828_zps28a5c3ff.jpg

Hejnar Photo M496RC2F62 2-piece desinged for 496/498 Manfrotto stem
IMAGE: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/msowsun/IMG_7824_zps5bdfbaa4.jpg

Hejnar Photo FM496RC2 1-piece desinged for 496/498 Manfrotto stem
IMAGE: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/msowsun/IMG_7826_zps7ddb2fd0.jpg

Desmond makes a DBA-1 conversion kit that accepts both standard Manfrotto plates and Swiss-Arca type plates: http://www.scvphotoide​as.com …manfrotto-arca-clamp.html (external link)
I like the idea of being able to use two different style plates on one clamp and it only costs about $30 on ebay: http://www.ebay.ca ….l2736&_nkw=Des​mond+DBA-1 (external link)

IMAGE: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ys41m8vS088/UGDxup6jR_I/AAAAAAAAEXA/NRIWnuImEiw/s400/Desmond-DBA-1-10-12.jpg

Manfrotto 498RC2 stem with "reversed" anti-rotation cutouts
IMAGE: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/msowsun/photo%20stuff/Photo10/_001-aaaa2_zps33fab0e8.jpg
IMAGE: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/msowsun/photo%20stuff/Photo10/_001-aa2_zpseddcac00.jpg
IMAGE: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/msowsun/photo%20stuff/Photo10/_001-aaa2_zps059fca8e.jpg

Mike Sowsun / S110 / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 18-135mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

NU27D
464 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 10, 2013 15:25 as a reply to  @ msowsun's post |  #7

I believe mine was the M6 screw. I know if you call Really Right Stuff (external link) they'll send you the right stuff.;)

peter_n
Goldmember
2,458 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 29, 2013 08:44 |  #8

It looks like Manfrotto have released their own Arca-Swiss type clamp (external link).

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

~Peter

broadcast_techie
180 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 30, 2013 08:48 |  #9

Does this mean that Manfrotto are giving in to sense? (personally I'm an RC2 fan at the moment, but Arca keeps calling - if it wasn't for the cost I'd be there already!)
Mobile phones have finally agreed on a standard chargers (ignore apple) so it's about time that grip equipment was more standardised...

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jun 30, 2013 12:17 |  #10

broadcast_techie wrote in post #16077640 (external link)
Does this mean that Manfrotto are giving in to sense? (personally I'm an RC2 fan at the moment, but Arca keeps calling - if it wasn't for the cost I'd be there already!)
Mobile phones have finally agreed on a standard chargers (ignore apple) so it's about time that grip equipment was more standardised...

Well, until someone's tried it with some of the "standard" Arca-type plates, especially the L plates, I'd hold off. You wouldn't want to get one and discover it wasn't wide enough to take non-Manfrotto A-S plates.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

peter_n
Goldmember
2,458 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 09, 2013 18:04 |  #11

Jon wrote in post #16078029 (external link)
Well, until someone's tried it with some of the "standard" Arca-type plates, especially the L plates, I'd hold off. You wouldn't want to get one and discover it wasn't wide enough to take non-Manfrotto A-S plates.

Well apparently it's not so good.

~Peter

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,477 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 09, 2013 18:34 |  #12

That was my post and I repeat, it's junk. The quick release mechanism is useless for anything except the included plate. It won't accept any of my Wimberley lens or body plates. For the same money they're asking for that stupid clamp and plate, you can buy a Sirui G-20 ballhead and be way, way better off.

See that light metal part on the near side of the clamp (in the photo a few posts up)? That piece is spring loaded and sinks down into the clamp when you attach the included plate. The flared bottom of the included plate is thin enough to let the spring loaded piece snap back up into place. The flared parts of any other A-S plates (at least the ones I own) are too thick to allow that piece to snap back up. And the opposite side *barely* grabs any of the flared area of the Wimberley plates. To make it worse, the spring loaded piece kept getting stuck in the down position, so I had to use a small screwdriver to get it to snap back up. Also, that pin sticking up in the middle of the clamp prevents you from sliding an A-S plate in from the ends. Your only choice is to catch one side under the far lip and then snap it down into place on the near side, which as I said, doesn't work.

I've asked Bryan at The Digital Picture to review it. We'll see if he does. I know he normally doesn't mess with Manfrotto heads.

Mark J.
Gear

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,842 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Jul 09, 2013 19:57 |  #13

When I switched over my Manfrotto 468MGRC2 to a Arca Swiss compatible quick release clamp, I called Kirk and described what I had with the Manfrotto clamp removed. They are very familiar with these type of change-overs and were able to supply me a perfectly fitted Arca Swiss clamp.

As Jon suggested, the customer service people at RRS have the same level of expertise. I only started with Kirk because RSS didn't make a one piece L bracket for my 60D with grip.

I have had great experiences with both companies. I have since purchased a new tripod and monopod from RRS and couldn't be happier. Both Kirk and RRS have very knowledgeable people available via email and phone.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

sponsored links

8,316 views & 0 likes for this thread
ArcaSwiss Clamp on 498RC2
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.