Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 30 Jun 2013 (Sunday) 14:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

seeking opinions

cschultz
159 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 30, 2013 14:38 |  #1

just want some opinions on some recent edits ive done. no butt hurt will be had here so critique away please

https://lh6.googleuser​content.com …8/w1274-h746-no/photo.jpg (external link)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'image/png'

IMAGE NOT FOUND

6D gripped|50mm F1.4|300 F/4 L| 70-200L F4|24-105L| 430 EX II| 320EX
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Jemhead
659 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 30, 2013 16:44 |  #2

The first thing that struck me is that your white balance is all over the place. Did you use auto white balance on all these? I also think the first shot would look better with a bit tighter crop (a lot of empty space on the left.)

5D III / Canon 50mm 1.4 / Canon 50mm 1.8 / 17-40L / 135L / 85L 1.2 II / 70-200L 2.8 IS
flickr (external link)Օ

awesomeshots
Goldmember
1,220 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2013

Jun 30, 2013 16:59 |  #3

1. We all love bokeh but he's got fighter jets behind him and I personally like seeing fighter jets I would've used smaller aperture for deeper dof. Also you can lighten up right side of his face in pp.

2. Wrong time of the day. Light is to harsh. He is squinting and she has blown spots all over.

3. Good location but to much green hue and it needs fill light.

4. Is nice but I would've clone out the rock chip marks.

5 is just a nice candid shot.

6 I know it is same shot as the fourth with different pp but glare on the fender is distracting and again...remove the chip marks.

That's it. :D

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 6D, Canon 24-70 F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/4L IS, 135mm 2.0 L, 85mm 1.8, Speedlite 430 II.

SpeedyGoo
242 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 30, 2013 17:48 |  #4

1. poor choice of DOF or poor composition depending on your opinion if its purely portrait u going for a better crop would have worked, if not u could have done with been at least f8 to bring those jets into focus.

2. as awesome shots said wrong time of day but this isn't always avoidable u could have used a large translucent reflector/diffuser to soften the light and a kick of fill flash or off camera flash to balance the difference between the hot sun and dark shade.

3. could have done with a flash, but also your couple seams slightly awkward bring them slightly closer together, also the white balance is completely off, if possible shoot in raw at, I would also as much as possible avoid AWB.

4. reasonably well composed but the window screen is filthy and the rock chips are distracting (obv you can heal tool the rock chips) also if auto photography is your bag wheel and trim black/polish can make one hell of a difference to a shot.

5. :) works for me.

6. as 4 but the background is now distracting, you could burn this out possibly.

hope that's helpful

cschultz
THREAD ­ STARTER
159 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jul 09, 2013 13:38 as a reply to  @ SpeedyGoo's post |  #5

tried burning the background and the windshield out, healed the rock chips and the majority of the fender glare. thoughts?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Flickr (external link)

rivas8409
Goldmember
2,454 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 09, 2013 14:02 |  #6

#1: As mentioned before, I want to see the A-10's in the background. It also looks unbalanced with him on the right of the frame and facing towards the right.

#2: Wrong time of day. WAY too contrasty. Their eyes look like black holes in the faces...especially hers. I'd also get rid of the asphalt in the lower right corner.

#3: Fix your WB! Holy moly! And very akward looking pose. It's lacking connection between the couple.

#4: I like these kinds of shots, but I think they work better in landscape.

#5: Snapshot. No real thought towards the photo. Looks like you just picked up the camera and told the guy to look at you and clicked the shutter.

#6: read #4 comments but this one definately needs PPing.

In all the PPing looks muddy. It may be from compression for web but they're not clean and crisp.

Body: Canon 5DmkII│50D
Glass: Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8│Canon 85mm f/1.8│Canon 24-105mm f/4L│Canon 135mm f/2L
Lights: Flashpoint Streaklight 360│Flashpoint Zoom Li-on│AB800
Results: WEBSITE (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,401 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 10, 2013 00:38 |  #7

The two maternity shots are definitely problems. Looks like WB and saturation issues, perhaps along with focus.

The first shot is pretty good exposure but your space should be in front of the subject rather than behind him - looking into the scene rather than out.

#5 is the best of the bunch I think. The car is good but very contrasty.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

cschultz
THREAD ­ STARTER
159 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jul 10, 2013 08:41 |  #8

Titus213 wrote in post #16106844 (external link)
The two maternity shots are definitely problems. Looks like WB and saturation issues, perhaps along with focus.

The first shot is pretty good exposure but your space should be in front of the subject rather than behind him - looking into the scene rather than out.

#5 is the best of the bunch I think. The car is good but very contrasty.

thanks. im not really worrying about the two maternity shots anymore (i know they are crap) nor the guy sitting down. i am working on fixing the shadow on the face of the 1st one which was just a random shot i got and ended up liking it. the car i have been working with trying to make it more focused on the car and not the background by burning out and blending the background and the dirty windshield (see previous post). mainly my focus for opinions now is on the re edit of the car and the edit ive done on the 1st one.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Flickr (external link)

rivas8409
Goldmember
2,454 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 10, 2013 12:53 |  #9

Well looking at your newest edit above this you've definately "fixed" the shadow issue. So merely on that aspect, kuddos. Compositionally, it still doesn't work.

I still feel like the car shot is over sharpened and, as mentioned above, too contrasty. Looks muddy too. Car shots are tough to deal with if you dont' have complete control of the lights. Without control you end up with a shot that you've got to spend a lot of time editing....is it worth it?

Glass: Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8│Canon 85mm f/1.8│Canon 24-105mm f/4L│Canon 135mm f/2L

cschultz
THREAD ­ STARTER
159 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jul 10, 2013 13:23 as a reply to  @ rivas8409's post |  #10

well the thing about that car shot was i was trying to edit it into more of a dark scene. my thoughts behind what i was looking for was sort of a beast in the shadow type theme high contrast heavy color and heavy shadows, i didnt want the every day normal type of shot with it. i have a more normal edit but i havent really worked with it much lately to fix it.

Flickr (external link)

rivas8409
Goldmember
2,454 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 10, 2013 13:46 |  #11

The thing is with extreme edits like that you end up with very muddy results. Your best option would be to expose it the way you want it in the camera. "Dim the lights" (so to speak) with your camera to bring the ambient down to where you want it and add light off camera to fill in the car. Of course this requires off camera strobes which I'm not sure you have since you don't make mention of it in your gear list.

Another way is to make multiple exposures (but you need a tripod) and stack them in photoshop later. Expose the background as dark as you want it- take the shot. Expose for the car- take the shot. As many different exposures and you want then stack them, 1 at a time, in photoshop and erase the parts you don't want. It can be a tediouos process but the results are much better than the extreme processing of 1 image. You can also "fake" it with one image if you shot in RAW by adjusting the exposure in ACR and stacking images that way.

Short of that you have to know the limits of your equipment. Shooting purely ambient/available light with the gear you've got listed is an almost impossible task for the type of scene you're trying to capture with the car. Yes, you can do it in PS but again, you end up with muddy results becasue of the extreme editting.

cschultz
THREAD ­ STARTER
159 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jul 10, 2013 14:07 as a reply to  @ rivas8409's post |  #12

fair enough. no i dont have strobes but i do have access to a spotlight i could angle at the ground in front of the car so i dont get the shine reflection off the car. or point it at the area i want to be lit up and filter it with something.

Flickr (external link)

rivas8409
Goldmember
2,454 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 10, 2013 14:11 |  #13

A spot light won't help unless you can literally turn off the lights and make the room dark. Then you need to be able to control where the light from that spot light goes so that it doesn't spill over into the room and on the walls. I think your best best is to stack multiple exposures.

sponsored links

1,610 views & 0 likes for this thread
seeking opinions
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.