Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Jun 2013 (Sunday) 16:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

T3i vs Samsung NX300

Matrim33
268 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 30, 2013 16:16 |  #1

My wife's aunt bought a T3i with a Canon 55-250 EF-S lens about 6 months ago for shooting her son's soccer games. She came to me originally with a price range and I pointed her in that direction. Not the perfect combo for sports photography, but the best I thought in her budget.

She came to me yesterday saying her friend was taking "better looking shots" with a Samsung NX300 and she was considering switching. She said she liked the compactness of the Samsung and the wifi.

I wasn't really sure how to react and told her I'd get back to her. I know she is shooting in sport mode for the games and isn't doing any pp. Probably using ai. I haven't see any of her shots or her friends.

So I was going to see what you guys thought. I was thinking of giving her some tips on manually adjusting her exposure/iso/aperature for sharper images, I have no idea how good the sports mode is at juggling the settings. I'm guessing the T3i should produce better pictures but may require more work to do so. A quick glance online and I see that Samsung does make an NX telephoto lens. I have no clue about Samsung cameras/lenses. Maybe they're more idiot proof, which may work better for her.

I realize she will not being getting professional quality shots with either setup. But I'd like to advise her as best I can. Thoughts?

6D - 50mm f/1.4 - 85mm f/1.8 - 24-105mm f/4L - 16-35mm f/2.8L II - 70-300mm f/4-5.6 - 600EX-RT

sponsored links
iheijoushin
31 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jun 30, 2013 16:48 |  #2

I don't think you steered her wrong, but the 55-250 EF-S isn't the best lens for high-speed shots. It'll get you closer to the action but that's about it. Did she give you any information about what she liked about the NX300's shots?

Honestly, the NX300 isn't that great a camera - and would expect it may be her own lack of experience with her own camera that is making the difference. Perhaps a lesson on the use of her camera for sport photography would help? Maybe using Shutter Priority instead of the straight-up Sports mode?

In my experience, the easiest to use cameras are Panasonic (at least for my mom!). Followed by Canon and then Nikon in close third. I have had awful experiences with Samsung cameras as they suffer from the feature creep that many of their products do...and frankly from Samsung's lack of experience in the camera market combined with their head-first rush to differentiate themselves from the Nikon/Canon pack has lead to some truly bad products that look great on paper. With the NX300 I hated, absolutely hated the half-baked touch-screen.

Obviously her experience may be different. But I would help her learn her camera better before decided an entirely different kit is necessary. See if Shutter Priority offers her a little more flexibility. I'd also find out specifically what she likes more about the shots the NX300 is taking.

Remember, even a bad camera can take great photos with just a little skill and patience...and the Digital Rebel series are great cameras! Pull out an XT and you can still snap some truly spectacular shots! The Digital Rebels are popular cameras for a reason: they are excellent!

I hope this helps!

kenshap
367 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 30, 2013 17:03 |  #3

You might need to do an “intervention” to find out what your wife’s aunt likes better about the pictures on the Samsung.

The EF-S 55-250 is a very capable lens and about the best at its price point. It should be more than capable for the task. Before I wrote this post I took out my t2i with my efs 55-250 and was practicing capturing birds in flight so I could have an accurate response. Lens and camera were more than up to the task.

If your wifes’ aunt is using sports mode, it should actually work fairly well; however until you can help with a photo of what your wife’s aunt deems needs improvement the forum might have a hard time trying to recommend techniques that would bridge the issue.

One thing; maybe get out of sports mode and into Tv mode. Set to AF Servo; 1/250 or more and try again and see if there is a difference. You can try the same with cars passing on the street.

Canon T6s (battery grip) | Canon T4i (aftermarket battery grip) | Canon T2i | Canon EF-S 18-55 IS | Canon EF-S 55 - 250 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 | Canon EF-S 10-22mm | Canon EF 100mm f2.8L Macro | Canon 40mm

Matrim33
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 30, 2013 17:28 as a reply to  @ kenshap's post |  #4

Thanks Guys. I will do some recon and try and figure out what she likes and doesn't like about her photos.

My knee-jerk reaction was to say the T3i was probably a more capable camera and with your confirmation I will stick to that.

I'll see when the next game is and maybe try to tag along. Any advice on a max iso for a rebel on these shots? I took my T4i to get some shots just now of cars and birds. I'm liking the sharpness at 1/500s but the iso jumped up a bit for that w/ auto iso.

If I can get her to go 1/250 or faster and keep her at a decent iso maybe that will help. For action shots should she be aiming for sweet-spot with her aperture, or wide open?

6D - 50mm f/1.4 - 85mm f/1.8 - 24-105mm f/4L - 16-35mm f/2.8L II - 70-300mm f/4-5.6 - 600EX-RT

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 30, 2013 17:46 |  #5

Matrim33 wrote in post #16078725 (external link)
Thanks Guys. I will do some recon and try and figure out what she likes and doesn't like about her photos.

My knee-jerk reaction was to say the T3i was probably a more capable camera and with your confirmation I will stick to that.

I'll see when the next game is and maybe try to tag along. Any advice on a max iso for a rebel on these shots? I took my T4i to get some shots just now of cars and birds. I'm liking the sharpness at 1/500s but the iso jumped up a bit for that w/ auto iso.

If I can get her to go 1/250 or faster and keep her at a decent iso maybe that will help. For action shots should she be aiming for sweet-spot with her aperture, or wide open?

yes, she definitely needs to shoot at a much faster shutter speed for sports! !

XSi (450D)
Canon 55-250IS
1/1000
f6.3

IMAGE: http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4148/5094738512_36a2d67e79_b.jpg

kenshap
367 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 30, 2013 17:52 as a reply to  @ Matrim33's post |  #6

You are outdoors? Playing in sunlight? If that's the case ISO shouldnt be a concern..noise is under control until about 1600. Try an aperture f8/f11/f16 see what happens.

Canon T6s (battery grip) | Canon T4i (aftermarket battery grip) | Canon T2i | Canon EF-S 18-55 IS | Canon EF-S 55 - 250 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 | Canon EF-S 10-22mm | Canon EF 100mm f2.8L Macro | Canon 40mm

Matrim33
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 30, 2013 17:53 |  #7

watt100 wrote in post #16078773 (external link)
yes, she definitely needs to shoot at a much faster shutter speed for sports! !

XSi (450D)
Canon 55-250IS
1/1000
f6.3

QUOTED IMAGE

Nice, what was the iso on that shot?

Matrim33
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 30, 2013 18:10 |  #8

kenshap wrote in post #16078795 (external link)
You are outdoors? Playing in sunlight? If that's the case ISO shouldnt be a concern..noise is under control until about 1600. Try an aperture f8/f11/f16 see what happens.

I missed this. Cool. I'll update you guys with how it goes.

kenshap
367 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 30, 2013 18:18 as a reply to  @ Matrim33's post |  #9

aperture and shutter speed combos can be tweaked, but watt1000 showed what this lens can do in its sleep. :D

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 30, 2013 18:21 |  #10

Matrim33 wrote in post #16078798 (external link)
Nice, what was the iso on that shot?

like the other poster said, don't worry about ISO, shooting sports is all about getting the highest shutter speed. Set the ISO to "auto" or whatever it takes to get a shutter speed of at least 1/1600

XSi (450D)
Canon 55-250IS
f6.3
1/3200

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2710/5801051503_7c4eb8f20e_b.jpg

w9trb
149 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 30, 2013 18:33 |  #11

You could set it for jpg only and give the settings a slight boost in sharpness and contrast. As well as setting iso to auto and showing her to use T and a good fast shutter setting. She should be able to do quite well with that camera and lens.

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 30, 2013 20:41 |  #12

I too would like to know what they were comparing the Samsung pics with: Was it on the back of the camera (LCD) vs the back of the camera, or was it the back of the camera vs a computer screen,....

Canon also doesn't set the JPEG sharpness high out of the box. User setting with more sharpness helps, for sure.

Samsung doesn't have the lens selection of Canon, and although competition is good for the consumer, if someone says Samsung is better than Canon, I'm going to think "user error".

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

kenshap
367 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 30, 2013 20:43 as a reply to  @ BrickR's post |  #13

^^^^That is an excellent question.

Matrim33
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 30, 2013 23:19 as a reply to  @ kenshap's post |  #14

We had a family dinner tonight and I quizzed her a bit.

When she first got the camera she seemed interested in dslr photography. Not only for sports, but portraits and everything else. Talking with her tonight I don't think it worked out for her.

I think she was wowed by her friends camera and is tired of playing the dslr game. She said the pix for her camera were good but her friends were good too. But I find that hard to believe as she told me the Samsung had the 20-50mm kit lens, and with that lens I don't think it would have much reach on a sports field.

Smaller, cooler, and not so much work is where she seems to be now... Point and shoot were the words out of her mouth tonight. I suggested getting a cheaper point and shoot for day-to-day stuff and keeping the T3i for bigger events. She seemed disinterested.

Learning to use a dslr is work and I'm not sure she wants to learn at this point. What she says doesn't quite add up, I think she just wants out. Looks like we lost one here. I think she may be the only parent on the team with a dslr and that may be adding some pressure on her.

So if Samsung's "cool" cameras are no good. Any thoughts on any other mirrorless cameras? Panasonic has been mentioned. I know her husband is interested in taking videos. I read a lot about Canon dslr's but I know little about anything else.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,586 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 01, 2013 00:16 |  #15

^My girlfriend is the same way with DSLR's... I tried to get her to use my old T2i but she had no interest, so I sold it (because I never used it after I bought the 6D either) and bought an EOS M and I love it, and happily, so does she! I don't think it'd be the right choice for your aunt in law because while the AF isn't really "slow" with the newest firmware, it's not as quick as some of the competition and the lens selection right now is limiting.

I would recommend either a Panasonic GH camera or Olympus PEN. Both have excellent sensors and a nice lens lineup, they're also small, easy to use and fairly affordable ;)

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

sponsored links

6,838 views & 0 likes for this thread
T3i vs Samsung NX300
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.