Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Jun 2013 (Sunday) 16:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

T3i vs Samsung NX300

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 01, 2013 10:39 |  #16

Using an actual VF is not what most people with no experience using a "real" camera are used to. Now-a-days, people are used to holding a camera like a phone camera. Without understanding shutter speed she can't shoot sports even in Tv mode, which would help her pictures look better even if she left ISO and Av in auto.

I think she is a candidate for a superzoom P&S. CSC cameras like Samsung or NEX would be the next step up for her.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,790 posts
Joined May 2003

Jul 01, 2013 12:33 |  #17

My wife's aunt bought a T3i with a Canon 55-250 EF-S lens about 6 months ago for shooting her son's soccer games. She came to me originally with a price range and I pointed her in that direction. Not the perfect combo for sports photography, but the best I thought in her budget.

Now she is considering a 2nd camera in six months, so much for budget considerations.

Ideally you should try to get some of her images (preferably those she doesn't like) that include EXIF information and post them here or link to another site. Then we can see what she is doing wrong. The T3i and the lens combination you have suggested is capable of really good images in the hands of someone who has some basic knowledge of how the camera and functions work. But it does take some effort.

Having said the above the Samsung NX300 is a very capable camera and I can see where in capable hands it too can deliver some stunning images.

Matrim33
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 01, 2013 12:42 |  #18

John from PA wrote in post #16080999 (external link)
Now she is considering a 2nd camera in six months, so much for budget considerations.

Ideally you should try to get some of her images (preferably those she doesn't like) that include EXIF information and post them here or link to another site. Then we can see what she is doing wrong. The T3i and the lens combination you have suggested is capable of really good images in the hands of someone who has some basic knowledge of how the camera and functions work. But it does take some effort.

Having said the above the Samsung NX300 is a very capable camera and I can see where in capable hands it too can deliver some stunning images.

She wants to sell the T3i first. I'll try and get some of her photos, but her complaint yesterday wasn't IQ, it was bulk and simplicity.

I've been looking at mirrorless camera's and it seems that the Sony's seem to have the best reviews.

6D - 50mm f/1.4 - 85mm f/1.8 - 24-105mm f/4L - 16-35mm f/2.8L II - 70-300mm f/4-5.6 - 600EX-RT

ttbek
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 23, 2013 02:51 |  #19

Had to make an account just for this because the bias here was incredibly irritating. There is no reason to not get good shots with the T3i. That said, the nx300 is capable of producing better quality shots period. You're looking at this level: http://snapsort.com …anon-T3i-vs-Samsung-NX300 (external link) oh T3i is better... look here instead: http://snapsort.com …3i-vs-Samsung-NX300/score (external link) well, look at that, snapsort weighs popularity stupidly so it's a deciding factor rather than a tiebreaker. The nx300 in fact has a larger sensor, better iso, and more than double the fps. You can find the nx300 for sub 600 pretty easily right now with the 18-55 mm lens, add on a 50-200 or 70-300 and you've got most things covered. The Samsung lenses are generally better than the Sony ones, and seem to stack up pretty closely with the Zeiss lenses for the Sonys. I think you're not doing enough in depth research and are reading too many reviews from fanboys. About bulk and simplicity, well, the nx300 is less bulky, it's not really any more simple, though maybe the auto mode producer better results? I would actually say the nx300 is a bit more complicated... I don't really shoot anything auto though unless I'm in a huge hurry going through many different lighting conditions. Overall I would favor the nx300 against almost anything that isn't at least full frame at the moment. I'm not here to push her to get the nx300 though, I would think the T3i should still work out quite well, but if you're interested I can link you some detailed reviews of the nx300. The major reason I hear people opt for a Sony over the nx300 is because the nx300 lacks both real viewfinder (since it's mirrorless) and electronic viewfinder. One last thing, the hybrid auto-focus system in the nx300 is quite good, not sure how it stacks up against the T3i's focusing off hand though.

Frodge
Goldmember
3,075 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 23, 2013 09:59 |  #20

T3i is a very capable camera when we'd correctly. I know it has a rebel badge, but it takes good photos. Maybe buy her a book like understanding exposure. I have t3i and 60d.
They both work great.

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
16,787 posts
Gallery: 440 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 25, 2014 06:49 |  #21

The NX300 has slightly bigger sensor and dynamic range.

| VINZ - SONY A7RIII/A6000/FDR-X3000 | 85GM | FE1635GM | FE50F1.8 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 25, 2014 07:23 |  #22
bannedPermanent ban

Matrim33 wrote in post #16081027 (external link)
She wants to sell the T3i first. I'll try and get some of her photos, but her complaint yesterday wasn't IQ, it was bulk and simplicity.

I've been looking at mirrorless camera's and it seems that the Sony's seem to have the best reviews.

let her, NX300 will probably be a better bet for her.

Gear List

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
16,787 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 25, 2014 09:43 |  #23

and guess what? all my flashes and triggers works.

| VINZ - SONY A7RIII/A6000/FDR-X3000 | 85GM | FE1635GM | FE50F1.8 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 25, 2014 12:35 |  #24
bannedPermanent ban

ttbek wrote in post #16317738 (external link)
Had to make an account just for this because the bias here was incredibly irritating. There is no reason to not get good shots with the T3i. That said, the nx300 is capable of producing better quality shots period. You're looking at this level: http://snapsort.com …anon-T3i-vs-Samsung-NX300 (external link) oh T3i is better... look here instead: http://snapsort.com …3i-vs-Samsung-NX300/score (external link) well, look at that, snapsort weighs popularity stupidly so it's a deciding factor rather than a tiebreaker. The nx300 in fact has a larger sensor, better iso, and more than double the fps. You can find the nx300 for sub 600 pretty easily right now with the 18-55 mm lens, add on a 50-200 or 70-300 and you've got most things covered. The Samsung lenses are generally better than the Sony ones, and seem to stack up pretty closely with the Zeiss lenses for the Sonys. I think you're not doing enough in depth research and are reading too many reviews from fanboys. About bulk and simplicity, well, the nx300 is less bulky, it's not really any more simple, though maybe the auto mode producer better results? I would actually say the nx300 is a bit more complicated... I don't really shoot anything auto though unless I'm in a huge hurry going through many different lighting conditions. Overall I would favor the nx300 against almost anything that isn't at least full frame at the moment. I'm not here to push her to get the nx300 though, I would think the T3i should still work out quite well, but if you're interested I can link you some detailed reviews of the nx300. The major reason I hear people opt for a Sony over the nx300 is because the nx300 lacks both real viewfinder (since it's mirrorless) and electronic viewfinder. One last thing, the hybrid auto-focus system in the nx300 is quite good, not sure how it stacks up against the T3i's focusing off hand though.

snapsort is not the best place for fair comparison.

They rated T3i as better camera for these reasons.

Advantages of the Canon T3i

Autofocus Faster autofocus Phase detection vs Hybrid detection
Lens availability Much more lenses available 197 lenses vs 36 lenses
Screen resolution Higher resolution screen 1,040k dots vs 768k dots
Built-in flash Built-in flash Yes vs No
Viewfinder Has a viewfinder Pentamir​ror vs None

really it rated the camera as winner because it has 5 advantages?

Lets look at them
Autofocus, NX300 is samsung fastest focusing NX camera so far, uses both contrast detect and phase detect, snapsort formula here? It always gives Phase Detection priority, they don't do any comparison.

Lens Availability, thats a fair one, but when a casual user is concerned, they will not have more then 2-4 lenses. so this point is not really valid.

Built-in-Flash is nice, but NX300 has snap on flash, and still camera is smaller then T3i, not really advantage.

Viewfinder is the only true valid advantage. A view finder would be nice, just something I noticed, snapsort always gives advantage to optical, that not fair as well.

While NX300 has:

Advantages of the Samsung NX300

Screen type Has an OLED screen OLED vs LCD
Size Significantly smaller 122x64x41 mm vs 133x99x79 mm
Autofocus Video autofocus Contrast detection vs None
Touch screen Has a touch screen Yes vs No
Focus points Many more focus points 105 vs 9
Screen size Significantly larger screen 3.3" vs 3.0"​
Light sensitivity Better maximum light sensitivity 25,600 ISO vs 6,400 ISO
3D Takes 3D photos Yes vs No
Overall image quality Better image quality 76.0 vs 65.​0
Panorama Can create panoramas in-camera Yes vs No
HDR Has in-camera HDR Yes vs No
Dynamic range More dynamic range 12.7 EV vs 11.5 EV
Shutter lag Less shutter lag 116 ms vs 283 ms
Continuous shooting Shoots faster 9 fps vs 3.7 fps
Weight Significantly lighter 280 g vs 570 g
Thickness Significant​ly thinner 1.6" vs 3.​1"
Color depth Better color depth 23.6 bits vs 22.1 bits
True resolution Higher true resolution 20 MP vs 17.9 MP
Startup delay Less startup delay 1200 ms vs 1500 ms
Low light performance Slightly lower noise at high ISO 942 ISO vs 793 ISO
Sensor size Slightly larger sensor APS-C 23.5x15.7mm vs APS-C 22.3x14.9mm

now lets look at NX300, its smaller its lighter, its faster, its more convient and has better Image quality.

How excactly did T3i win this?

Gear List

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
16,787 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 25, 2014 17:09 |  #25

exactly^^^^^ the only missing on the NX300 is the viewfinder. and as i said i was able to use my flashes and triggers.

here's mine with the demb bracket and reflector.

i know it looks funny, bottomline is, it works.

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7329/11140355865_cdb9188fa7_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/hYre​F8  (external link)

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5537/11140355115_e4d22f2d46_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/hYre​sc  (external link)

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 26, 2014 16:35 |  #26

vinmunoz wrote in post #16785926 (external link)
exactly^^^^^ the only missing on the NX300 is the viewfinder. and as i said i was able to use my flashes and triggers.
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/hYre​F8  (external link)

Those are your Canon YN622 triggers? Cool. I assume no TTL right?

If I were shooting kids playing soccer, the T3i would be a better choice, in AI Servo it simply tracks better than the NX300, although little kids aren't really moving that fast LOL.
But if I don't know anything about cameras and I want DSLR quality without the bulk, the NX300 is going to be better in nearly every way, especially for non-sport related stuff.

nekrosoft13 is right, most casual users will only have 2-4 lenses max, and Samsung makes those 2-4 lenses (a 50-200 for the "soccer moms", the all-in-one superzoom, a couple kit lens options, wide zoom, a handful of fast small primes), all of which are smaller/lighter than Canon equivalents.

You still suffer from the same issue no matter what camera is being used: the shooter is the weakest link, and lack of understanding in how to use the camera for the best results make your results suck faster and easier than whatever system you shoot ;)

My junk

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
16,787 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 26, 2014 17:28 |  #27

Yap no ettl.

enrigonz
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 24, 2014 10:27 |  #28

I realize this thread goes back to last year but I must confess, I was a Canon DSLR user for over 6 years, then the NX300 came along, had an affair with Samsung and left Canon and married my NX300.

The NX300 comes up with more "keeper" photos than my T2i did, it has 105 focus points vs 9 on the Rebels, the dynamic range and larger sensor produces much better photos even with the 18-55 Samsung kit lens. The camera built in presets do a fantastic job, I've taken hand-held night shots that would have never been possible with my Canon. The technology is simply superior with Samsung!

Canon Stuff :) |Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 24, 2014 17:50 |  #29

enrigonz wrote in post #16926915 (external link)
I realize this thread goes back to last year but I must confess, I was a Canon DSLR user for over 6 years, then the NX300 came along, had an affair with Samsung and left Canon and married my NX300.

The NX300 comes up with more "keeper" photos than my T2i did, it has 105 focus points vs 9 on the Rebels, the dynamic range and larger sensor produces much better photos even with the 18-55 Samsung kit lens. The camera built in presets do a fantastic job, I've taken hand-held night shots that would have never been possible with my Canon. The technology is simply superior with Samsung!

I still use Canon as Samsung doesn't have the lens selection or auxiliary system (flashes, etc) there yet, but my NX300 gets me better photos than my Canon simply because I take it with me SO much more than any of my Canons, including my SL1. The lenses for Canon are bigger and the body is bigger (although the SL1 is lighter). It took me one trip through flickr to realize that a Samsung NX is more than capable of producing great work.
I keep my NX300 w/30mm pancake in my work backpack or in my cargo pants pocket so it is with me 80% of the time. "The best camera is the one you have with you" and such ;)

My junk

sponsored links

6,640 views & 0 likes for this thread
T3i vs Samsung NX300
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.