Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 01 Jul 2013 (Monday) 16:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Moving image from LR to CS6 keeping the LR adjustments

Roxie2401
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 01, 2013 16:54 |  #1

Hi - this is probably pretty basic, but I've never done it before.

I want to do some work on a CR2 file in Photoshop CS6 and a friend said, "when you are done with it in Camera RAW, open the image."

I'm using Lightroom 4 and making some adjustments, like WB, noise reduction, etc. Is that what was meant by Camera RAW?

How do I move that image with the adjustments I've made in Lightroom over to Photoshop CS6 to do the remaining adjustments?

I have to be doing something wrong because if I just open the image in CS6, it looks like none of my LR adjustments are carried over - i.e., the WB change is not there.

Is there a Camera RAW section in Photoshop and should I be working there?

I like what I've done in LR - should the CR2 be saved to some other format before going to Photoshop?

sponsored links
Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,422 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 01, 2013 17:04 |  #2

You should be able to right click on the image and select "edit in Photoshop". This will create a TIFF file that will automatically open in Ps.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Roxie2401
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 01, 2013 17:16 as a reply to  @ Scatterbrained's post |  #3

Thanks. Just curious, is there a Camera RAW plug-in that I should have in LR? When I look at the Plug-in Manger, there is no Camera RAW shown.

Is this automatically a part of LR or do I need to download it?

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 01, 2013 17:25 |  #4

Roxie2401 wrote in post #16081711 (external link)
Hi - this is probably pretty basic, but I've never done it before.

I want to do some work on a CR2 file in Photoshop CS6 and a friend said, "when you are done with it in Camera RAW, open the image."

I'm using Lightroom 4 and making some adjustments, like WB, noise reduction, etc. Is that what was meant by Camera RAW?

How do I move that image with the adjustments I've made in Lightroom over to Photoshop CS6 to do the remaining adjustments?

I have to be doing something wrong because if I just open the image in CS6, it looks like none of my LR adjustments are carried over - i.e., the WB change is not there.

Is there a Camera RAW section in Photoshop and should I be working there?

I like what I've done in LR - should the CR2 be saved to some other format before going to Photoshop?

There are several ways to transfer an edited file from Lightroom to Photoshop:
(1) Press the CTRL + E keystroke combination
(2) Click on Photo > Edit In > Edit in Adobe Photoshop CS6 from Lightroom's menu
(3) Right-click the edited file in the filmstrip and select Edit In > Adobe Photoshop CS6 from the context menu that appears.

Roxie2401 wrote in post #16081772 (external link)
Thanks. Just curious, is there a Camera RAW plug-in that I should have in LR? When I look at the Plug-in Manger, there is no Camera RAW shown.

Is this automatically a part of LR or do I need to download it?

No, Adobe Camera Raw and Lightroom are two entirely separate products. They have the same editing/raw conversion functionality but Lightroom is a complete standalone program while ACR is a Photoshop plug-in that can be hosted by either Adobe Bridge or Photoshop.

Gear List

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,422 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 01, 2013 17:27 |  #5

Think of Lr as "Camera Raw Plus". Camera Raw and Lr share the same processing engine, it's just that Lr does everything ACR does plus manages you images, allows you to proof prints, makes books, etc. . . . .

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

Roxie2401
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 01, 2013 17:29 as a reply to  @ Scatterbrained's post |  #6

So, are you saying that LR actually has a "camera raw" builtin and I don't need a plug-in?

But, does Photoshop CS6 have a Camera Raw plugin - and if so, how do I use it?

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,422 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 01, 2013 17:31 |  #7

Yes, Lr and Camera Raw share the same processing engine. In Ps you can get to bridge from the file drop down, then select the folder in bridge, find the image, and select "open with camera raw".

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

Roxie2401
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 01, 2013 17:50 as a reply to  @ Scatterbrained's post |  #8

Found it - finally makes sense.

When I look at the Camera Raw from PhotoShop CS6 - it looks like I'm better off using LR for things like Noise Reduction, etc. and then using what you suggested to "Edit in Photoshop" to do other things, like pixel edits.

Right assumption?

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 01, 2013 17:58 |  #9

Roxie2401 wrote in post #16081827 (external link)
So, are you saying that LR actually has a "camera raw" builtin and I don't need a plug-in?

But, does Photoshop CS6 have a Camera Raw plugin - and if so, how do I use it?

If you have done any processing of the image in Lightroom, even if just applying an import preset you want to select "open in CS6 with Lightroom adjustment" This is one of the options whenever Lightroom sees an XMP file for an image when the edit in external editor option is selected.

When you click the option the Lightroom export function bakes a version of the image with all the Lightroom edits applied and opens it as a PSD file in CS6. It also adds the file to your folder on the drive and adds the file to the catalog in which the original resides. Once you have done all your work in CS6 you can save the image. It will save the image to the disk in the same directory and update the Lightroom catalog. The saved file can be in TIFF, or PSD if you want to maintain any layers. There are other options if you have flattened the file in CS6.

You can also use the "Save As" option to save more than one version of the file.

Photoshop is smart enough to save the PSD file with an extension appended to the original file name to make keeping track easier.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 01, 2013 17:59 |  #10

Roxie2401 wrote in post #16081880 (external link)
Found it - finally makes sense.

When I look at the Camera Raw from PhotoShop CS6 - it looks like I'm better off using LR for things like Noise Reduction, etc. and then using what you suggested to "Edit in Photoshop" to do other things, like pixel edits.

Right assumption?

Do pixel edits as a last resort. Remember when you export the image to CS6 you have baked in the Lightroom adjustments in the XMP file.

The good news is you have the original, with the XMP file, as well as another file with the baked in edits plus whatever you do in CS6.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,422 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 01, 2013 18:01 |  #11

I haven't used Camera Raw since LR3 came out. I just find it so much easier to manage everything from inside of Lr. Exporting to Ps is just a click, and when I save it's right back in Lr. I used to use bridge and ACR with CS4, but find Lr/Ps to just be easier. Lr4 and CS6 ACR should be the same, although I think Adobe talked about updating the CS6 process version to 8 (equivalent to Lr5), if so it may be worth you while to try out the new process version. I haven't checked to see yet so I don't know for sure.

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

Roxie2401
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 01, 2013 18:10 |  #12

dmward wrote in post #16081904 (external link)
If you have done any processing of the image in Lightroom, even if just applying an import preset you want to select "open in CS6 with Lightroom adjustment" This is one of the options whenever Lightroom sees an XMP file for an image when the edit in external editor option is selected.

When you click the option the Lightroom export function bakes a version of the image with all the Lightroom edits applied and opens it as a PSD file in CS6. It also adds the file to your folder on the drive and adds the file to the catalog in which the original resides. Once you have done all your work in CS6 you can save the image. It will save the image to the disk in the same directory and update the Lightroom catalog. The saved file can be in TIFF, or PSD if you want to maintain any layers. There are other options if you have flattened the file in CS6.

You can also use the "Save As" option to save more than one version of the file.

Photoshop is smart enough to save the PSD file with an extension appended to the original file name to make keeping track easier.

When I click the image in LR, I only see "Edit in" Edit in Adobe Photoshop CS6..." I don't see any way to Edit in Adobe Photoshop with Lightroom adjustments.

Where is that option?

I do see something that says Open as Smart Object in Photoshop. What is that?

Thanks

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,422 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 01, 2013 18:29 |  #13

Roxie2401 wrote in post #16081930 (external link)
When I click the image in LR, I only see "Edit in" Edit in Adobe Photoshop CS6..." I don't see any way to Edit in Adobe Photoshop with Lightroom adjustments.

Where is that option?

Thanks

When you select "edit in Ps", Lr will create a version of the image to be edited in Ps (Ps can't handle raw files), this version will have all of the Lr adjustments applied.

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 01, 2013 18:56 |  #14

Roxie2401 wrote in post #16081930 (external link)

Where is that option?

Thanks

I just tired a couple of things and it appears that LR applies any editing you've done to a raw file. It may be that the dialog asking is you want to apply changes is reserved for file types that may have had external editing such as TIFF, PSD or JPG and then also have some editing done in Lightroom.

Sorry for the confusion. I go back and forth so often both raw files and PSD or TIFF that I hadn't noticed the difference.

As mentioned earlier, Lightroom and ACR share the same raw processing engine, I guess Adobe engineers presume that any changes you've made in LR you want applied when exporting, even to Photoshop.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,024 posts
Gallery: 543 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 01, 2013 19:36 |  #15

There are a couple of different ways that a RAW file may be transferred between LR and PS using Edit in Photoshop.

For a Canon or other RAW file (.CR2 for Canon .NEF for Nikon etc) then you can right click and select Edit in Photoshop (or Ctrl/CMD+E shortcut). This takes all of the edits that have been saved in the LR catalogue for the image and transfers them to Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) which is used to render the image into Photoshop (You will NOT see an ACR window or any other reference to ACR at any time while it renders the image into PS though). At this point the image will appear and be shown with the .CR2 extension if it was a Canon RAW. I believe that it is done this way for compatibility reasons, it is exactly the same as if you had used ACR to do the editing and opened the file into PS. Once you have finished editing the image in PS you hit the Save command (Ctrl/CMD-S), NOT Save As, and the image will be saved with the same filename as the original file, but either a .PSD or .TIFF file depending on the options that are set within the LR external editing tab in the Editing/Preferences controls. The .PSD/TIFF file is not actually created until you use the Save command. As well as file type the controls also allow you to select colour bit depth (8 or 16 bit) and colour space. The file will be saved with any layers kept intact (unless you manually flatten the image). The image file will also get all of the keywords, labels star ratings etc that are applied to the original RAW file. The original RAW file and the .PSD/.TIFF file will also be included in the LR Library and stacked next to the original RAW image.

Second instance is if you are using a newish version of LR but a much older version of PS, say PSCS or CS2/3. In this case the version of the processing engine in ACR is not compatible with the one in LR (unless you deliberately choose to use the old process version). In this case LR is used to render the image that is shown in PS rather than ACR. In this case the .PSD/.TIFF file is generated as part of the rendering process, and it will have the .PSD/.TIFF as the suffix rather than the .CR2 in the windows title bar. All of the things that apply to the first option regarding the associated information, importation to library and stacking etc still apply in this case. Hitting save also takes you back to the image in LR just as in the first case as well. Although in both cases the file will remain open in PS until you close it, saving the image again will also update it in the LR Library.

There are some instances I have found where although the process versions are supposed to be compatible there are problems when rendering the image. Normally this has been issues with CA and fringing corrections and other issues with very high contrast straight edges at certain angles. As it is not possible to get LR to do the rendering as it would in the second case it is possible to work around this by using the normal Export command. It is possible to use that to make a .PSD or .TIFF file at full size. This image can be automatically included in the library on generation, and there is also an option to have PS open the file automatically too. All of the file EXIF data is also transferred the only practical difference to option 2 is that the image is not automatically stacked. If you are using any version of LR with PSCS6 you should not really get this issue, as you will have the latest version of ACR. These settings can be saved as an Export preset for quick use should you find it necessary

So that is the basic options for exporting RAW files. I would not use the Open as Smart Object option unless you really know what you are doing, as it embeds a copy of the RAW file in the .PSD file. At this point you have two files, the original RAW that you may make further no destructive edits to at any time, and the .PSD/.TIFF file that started off as a copy of the RAW with all of the settings baked into it as they were at the time it was created.

Once you have the .PSD/.TIFF file back in LR you may do some more changes in LR, such as create a VC for different types of output, such as differing crops and print soft proof options. Or maybe you want to create a B&W version of the image, I prefer the LR conversion tools over those in PS. So what happens if you want to go back to PS to make a change there? Again you have two options.

First Open in PS. This allows you to open the .PSD/.TIFF file as it stands on the hard drive. This is great if you saved the image before you had fully finished it, and simply allows you to go back to finish working on the file. Or you may have thought you had finished editing but then notice something that needs changing. The file opens you work on the file in PS and when you save the file the image is updated in the LR library. Now if you have created any virtual copies of the .PSD/.TIFF file then all of those copies will also be updated with the changes that you made to the underlying file. This is great, and often what you want to do, the extra bit of cloning to get rid of something you originally missed would need applying to all of the copies anyway. Your .PSD/.TIFF files will still have its layers intact too.

Now you might only want to make the changes to one of your virtual copies (or you added LR edits to the "master" .PSD/.TIFF file) and not affect the other versions. At this point you might want to use the Open with LR adjustments option (you only get this when looking at non RAW image files). This then creates a newly rendered version of the file, with the LR edits incorporated into it. compared to the original .PSD/.TIFF file this one will have been flattened in order to render the LR adjustments to it. I have never actually used this option to transfer a file from LR to PS as my workflow is LR -> PS (if necessary) -> LR (for final output). I have yet to have a situation where I have had to take an image out to PS then back to LR then make adjustments then out to PS again for work including the extra LR adjustments, so not too sure on the exact situation regards stacking and all those other things.

I hope this is of help, it is a bit long, but then it is relatively complex but seemingly a poorly understood relationship.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links

1,806 views & 0 likes for this thread
Moving image from LR to CS6 keeping the LR adjustments
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.