Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 26 Jun 2013 (Wednesday) 18:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

are clients ready to hire such photographers?

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 01, 2013 19:16 |  #46

alexdesign wrote in post #16067945 (external link)
Saw 2 ads today on craiglist
These newborn sessions are just missing light, exposure, post processing. Anyone else agree or anyone else thinks these are great photos?

Remember this: not everyone needs or wants "great" photos. Many people would be thrilled to get these photos of their newborn. These are good photos, few would be a high end price to go from good to great.

sponsored links
HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 01, 2013 19:20 |  #47

abbypanda wrote in post #16078170 (external link)
. I have such people come in the gym at times. Every year I give a free membership to a kid under 18 who I KNOW cant afford it, and he helps me by cleaning or doing things i need.

This is off topic but if you are in the U.S. you could get yourself into trouble by having someone under 18 do "work" for you without parents permission and really without being paid. I"m not a HR person, but you might be better off hiring that person to work 3 hours a week and having that person on an installment payment plan for legal purposes. Consult your attorney.

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 01, 2013 19:29 |  #48

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #16082122 (external link)
This is off topic but if you are in the U.S. you could get yourself into trouble by having someone under 18 do "work" for you without parents permission and really without being paid. I"m not a HR person, but you might be better off hiring that person to work 3 hours a week and having that person on an installment payment plan for legal purposes. Consult your attorney.

In most places, kids can start working at 16 except for jobs selling age-restricted products and certain jobs listed as "dangerous". There is probably nothing illegal about paying a kid with a membership as long as it is reported as such on on the required paperwork (tax forms, etc).

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 01, 2013 19:33 |  #49

drvnbysound wrote in post #16077357 (external link)
This is why I like to say that people spend their money on the things they value the most.

Yep, that's pretty much it. They really want a nice car, but just want something to help them remember their wedding or whatever event it was, and don't care that much about the technical quality of the photographs. Personally I choose to drive a car that does nothing more than get me to work reliably, but really want a good stereo in the house. It's called consumer choice...

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 01, 2013 19:37 |  #50

archer1960 wrote in post #16082159 (external link)
Yep, that's pretty much it. They really want a nice car, but just want something to help them remember their wedding or whatever event it was, and don't care that much about the technical quality of the photographs. Personally I choose to drive a car that does nothing more than get me to work reliably, but really want a good stereo in the house. It's called consumer choice...

And I paid more for the buffer to wax my car than I ever would for a pair of shoes.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 01, 2013 19:47 |  #51

cdifoto wrote in post #16082170 (external link)
And I paid more for the buffer to wax my car than I ever would for a pair of shoes.

While my buffer is an old tee-shirt...

Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 01, 2013 20:25 |  #52

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #16082110 (external link)
Remember this: not everyone needs or wants "great" photos. Many people would be thrilled to get these photos of their newborn. These are good photos, few would be a high end price to go from good to great.

This is exactly it.

I was this type of consumer once. My wedding was shot by a woman where it was her first time photographing an actual wedding. (she had mainly done baby portraits in studio) The funny thing is that I have high standards in art (graduated college in art) and when I got married I was mainly concerned about hiring a person with good skills in composition, awareness, people skills, editing, etc.. Budget was of course the biggest factor.

Young people getting married, young people starting out having kids - it's not easy affording nice portraits. I was in those shoes once. For the person that owns the picture --- the baby, the wedding moment, the highschool graduate they look at in the photo is what gives them joy and emotion. The artistic treatment is just the icing on the cake.

jonathan @ tlcphoto.com (external link) - pro wedding and portrait photog
5d2 5d3 50L 16-35 70-200 ElinchromRX600 580EX 600EX VIV285

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 01, 2013 21:33 |  #53

archer1960 wrote in post #16082197 (external link)

:-D

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 01, 2013 21:41 |  #54

cdifoto wrote in post #16082170 (external link)

archer1960 wrote in post #16082197 (external link)

Heh, I dropped my car off for a new paint job last Thursday, which I am paying about the price of a 5D MKIII for... and I will probably be picking up a Porter Cable dual action polisher in the near future ;-)a

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 01, 2013 23:33 |  #55

drvnbysound wrote in post #16082509 (external link)
Heh, I dropped my car off for a new paint job last Thursday, which I am paying about the price of a 5D MKIII for... and I will probably be picking up a Porter Cable dual action polisher in the near future ;-)a

I got the DeWalt DWP849X. Talk about spinning sex. My drill is a Porter-Cable though. It'll do 1600 RPM, which is awesome on the headlights.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 02, 2013 04:38 |  #56

drvnbysound wrote in post #16082509 (external link)

My 5D mkIII cost me more than I paid for my whole car (a 10 year old Korean hatchback). Add in the rest of my gear and I have a camera & lens outfit that cost me several times what the car cost. I don't have a polisher (not even an old T-shirt), heck I have had the car 8 months now and it hasn't even been washed yet.

My friends think I am nuts, when I bought the 300 f/2.8L IS and they asked how much it cost, the comment was "How much?? You could have bought a decent car for that". Next time one of them changed their car and bought a used Merc SLK, my comment was "How much?? You could have bought a decent camera for that".

People place different values on things. I can afford a better car, but only by sacrificing camera gear, my friend with the Merc can afford a DSLR outfit instead of using his phone for all his photos, but wants a nice car instead. When somebody states they can't "afford" a better photographer it doesn't mean that their income won't cover a better photographer, just that they don't see photography as such an important aspect of their lives they are prepared to give up something else, that is more important to them, to get high quality shots. They have a budget that they are prepared to allocate to capturing memories, and that is what they "can afford". Shots such as those of the babies (linked to in the OP) are more than sufficient for somebody who just wants something as a memory, they are well above camera phone snaps in quality and the photographer is asking for a fee that won't mean they have to skimp on other things.

Such people have a right to decide for themselves the budget they want to spend, and the quality they are happy to accept in return. For those amongst us who can turn out better work, then these people are NOT your potential clients and these photographers are not your competition. You are looking for clients who value high quality results and are happy to pay for them.

In short, Mercedes doesn't worry about competition from Kia. Their customers are mutually exclusive, A Merc buyer would never want to buy a Kia, and somebody who's budget dictates a Kia, is surely not going to buy a Merc.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 02, 2013 04:53 |  #57

Nah those same people who whine about not being able to afford a decent photographer are in the same breath saying they so desperately love our work. It's a ploy to get a sympathy discount that they can brag about to their friends. When you're in business you see the pattern quite frequently.

People who simply don't want to budget it don't put it in terms of being unable to afford it. They rarely mention it at all and simply go with the photographer that's within budget.

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 02, 2013 05:08 |  #58

sandpiper wrote in post #16083173 (external link)
Their customers are mutually exclusive, A Merc buyer would never want to buy a Kia, and somebody who's budget dictates a Kia, is surely not going to buy a Merc.

I'm pretty sure you can find lots of Mercedes owners who also owns a Kia. Different cars for different needs just as most DSLR owners probably also have some small, low-end, cameras for their shirt pocket.

The same person may also sometimes want high-end photos while at other situations be perfectly happy with low-end photos. You may sometimes want a wall print and sometimes just "a memory".

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 02, 2013 05:24 |  #59

pwm2 wrote in post #16083205 (external link)
I'm pretty sure you can find lots of Mercedes owners who also owns a Kia. Different cars for different needs just as most DSLR owners probably also have some small, low-end, cameras for their shirt pocket.

The same person may also sometimes want high-end photos while at other situations be perfectly happy with low-end photos. You may sometimes want a wall print and sometimes just "a memory".

My point stands though, that in either case the low end item isn't being bought in a situation where the high end one would be a desirable option. It was a generalisation sure, you can get picky about the details, but that Merc owner who also has a Kia, almost certainly didn't buy the Kia instead of a second Mercedes. If it is, as you say, a "different car for a different need", then there was clearly still no rivalry between the two for that purchase, which was my point.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 02, 2013 05:52 |  #60

It's true that there are a lot of Ferrari owners who get groceries in something more mundane. Usually a Prius so they're not sent straight to hell for the 8mpg they get out of the supercar.

I don't know how often it holds true for photography though. Logically, I'd think they'd take their own snaps for the "less important" stuff rather than hire a cheaper, poorer professional.

sponsored links

7,858 views & 0 likes for this thread
are clients ready to hire such photographers?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.