Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Jul 2013 (Tuesday) 09:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Possible blasphemy... Nikon d3200vsCanon t4i

spider87
224 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 02, 2013 09:20 |  #1

Hey all. I currently have a canon rebel xt so just about anything modern would be an improvement I'm sure. However, I don't do a lot of purchasing so I want something that will last. I'm looking to do video with an external mic port being a requirement. Both have this and generally match features otherwise. However, I'm reading that the d3200 takes significantly better shots and that makes me nervous about going for the t4i as I am inclined to do because I have all canon gear currently and don't really want to have to buy new lenses etc.

My price point is roughly $600 or less.

Anyone have any experience here that may be able to offer some guidance?

Thanks!
Alex

My gallery (external link)
Gear: Canon Rebel T5i & Canon Rebel XT|Canon 18-55mm IS STM Kit lens f3.5-5.6|Canon 70-300mm f4-5.6|Canon 50mm f1.8 (Finally!)

sponsored links
BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 02, 2013 10:29 |  #2

Who told you it takes significantly better shots?

Do you do a lot of processing and shoot only in RAW?

When it comes to video, it is pretty well documented that Canon DSLRs do video better since you have the ML option.

I SERIOUSLY doubt you are going to see significantly better IQ from one to the other. The images from any camera can be awesome or crap depending on WHO is taking the picture.
"Give an average shooter a great camera, you'll get average pictures. Give a great shooter an average camera, you'll get great pictures."

I wouldn't switch if I were you.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

spider87
THREAD ­ STARTER
224 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 02, 2013 10:34 |  #3

I was reading a vs article I found just googling the t4i. It had more noise at a lower ISO, lower true res, worse color, etc. I'm not trying to knock either I just know there's a difference between tech specs and actual use. A computer, for instance, can have 8gb of ram and still be slow as molasses I am just wondering if anyone has seen or heard of or have opinions on the differences they're suggesting.

I just found the comparison I was doing: http://snapsort.com …-Rebel-T4i-vs-Nikon-D3200 (external link)

Gear: Canon Rebel T5i & Canon Rebel XT|Canon 18-55mm IS STM Kit lens f3.5-5.6|Canon 70-300mm f4-5.6|Canon 50mm f1.8 (Finally!)

jt354
401 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 02, 2013 10:45 |  #4

I think it's silly to put a 24.2 MP sensor in an entry level camera. RAW files will be massive and the camera will be unbalanced with any zoom lens yielding high enough resolution to take advantage of the sensor. Having said that, I've been impressed with recent Nikon image quality. Not to say Canon is bad, although the red spectrum on Canon CMOS sensors is just abysmal.

Zenfolio (external link)
flickr (external link)
Gear: Canon 60D / Canon G12 / Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 / Canon 35mm f/2 IS / Canon 85mm f/1.8 / Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 / Speedlite 430 EXII / Slik 700DX legs / Cullmann MB6 head

spider87
THREAD ­ STARTER
224 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 02, 2013 10:47 |  #5

And to answer your other question, I DO try to always at least have a RAW of each shot saved. I generally shoot in RAW+HQ JPG. I am also aware of the avg photographer avg shots idea and agree with it but also believe specs are important. Not arguing I just mean it seems if I take my rebel xt and take the same shot with the t4i it may not be obvious immediately between the 2 but that you could tell. (I may be wrong too as I'm not sure either way obviously haha) I know sensor wise and all they're pretty similar though so I'm not certain there either. Forgive me if these statements seem ill-composed I'm typing from a cell phone and it is not really allowing me much proof reading clarity.

spider87
THREAD ­ STARTER
224 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 02, 2013 10:56 |  #6

I'm lead to another question. Other than video, would I really gain anything from upgrading to the t4i? I'm reviewing/comparing the specs on snapsort and while its 63vs21 it seems like it's all cosmetic stuff like viewfinder, screen size and touch capabilities that set them apart. Would that be worth the $600 investment? Video is going to be a necessary feature soon but would I do better to move to something other than the t4i at this price point?

gnome ­ chompski
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2013

Jul 02, 2013 10:57 |  #7

The Rebel T_i series are great camera's. I have a T2i that I got last year for $450 new on a close out. If you invest in a decent lens, they can provide stunning results.

Tumblr (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

groundloop
981 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 02, 2013 11:40 |  #8

IMO you'd be happy with the T4i (or it's nearly identical twin the T5i), it's a good camera for the money and would be a great upgrade from an XT. I had an XT for a little while but sold it and moved up the Canon food chain.

I was skeptical of the touchscreen at first, but find that I like it because I can quickly review all my shot settings and quickly adjust something if I need to.

I've only briefly played around with shooting video, but believe that someone who knows what they're doing would find that it does a good job.

As far as any "expert" claiming the T4i is noisy or has poor color in the captured images, I think you ought to browse through the T4i image posting thread. It's hard to argue with actual images taken by people who know how to use the camera.

spider87
THREAD ­ STARTER
224 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 02, 2013 12:00 |  #9

Yikes I'm finding that snapsort's pricing statements are garbage.. It says "amazon marketplace-$599" cheapest from amazon is like 700... Hm.

spider87
THREAD ­ STARTER
224 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 02, 2013 12:02 |  #10

Opinions on refurbished?

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,842 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Jul 02, 2013 12:59 |  #11

You can pick up a new 60D for $589 routinely now. Just another alternative. I expect the prices will continue to drop since the 70D has been announced but is not yet available. I paid $700 for my refurb 60D a little more than a year ago. I have been enjoying it.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

spider87
THREAD ­ STARTER
224 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 02, 2013 13:11 |  #12

I was looking at the 60D but I noticed it doesn't have video autofocus and I'm upgrading with video being a big goal so I'm not sure I can skip the vid af. It's nice looking though!

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,902 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 02, 2013 13:21 |  #13

spider87 wrote in post #16084607 (external link)
I'm upgrading with video being a big goal

then you need to stick with canon.

i''ve not seen one thing that would lead me to believe that Nikon would be a better option for video. I think if you review that link above you'll see that the areas where nikon "wins" are less significant than the areas where canon "wins".

I'm not a big fan of that site anyway. No mention of canon's STM lenses which were made for video. And no "Real World" examples.

the T4i has been discontinued. Supply/Demand dictates that prices rise as supply diminishes. The T5i should fit the bill.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

spider87
THREAD ­ STARTER
224 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 02, 2013 13:38 |  #14

hes gone wrote in post #16084629 (external link)
=he's gone;16084629]then you need to stick with canon.

i''ve not seen one thing that would lead me to believe that Nikon would be a better option for video. I think if you review that link above you'll see that the areas where nikon "wins" are less significant than the areas where canon "wins".

I'm not a big fan of that site anyway. No mention of canon's STM lenses which were made for video. And no "Real World" examples.

the T4i has been discontinued. Supply/Demand dictates that prices rise as supply diminishes. The T5i should fit the bill.

This was well stated thank you! However, sorry to be slow on the uptick but are you saying I should be able to find a t5i at roughly the same price point if not lower since they're flooding the market?

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,842 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Jul 02, 2013 13:40 |  #15

If video is an important part of your photography, I'd take a look at the several 70D threads running at the moment. Canon has done some interesting things with both live view and video on the 70D. I use live view every so often but I haven't shot a video with my 60D yet. ;)

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

sponsored links

1,577 views & 0 likes for this thread
Possible blasphemy... Nikon d3200vsCanon t4i
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.