Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 May 2011 (Monday) 07:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

who has the T3 / 1100D ?

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 30, 2013 20:29 |  #646

Jeff_56 wrote in post #16078876 (external link)
The T3 is head and shoulders better than your point and shoot pocket Canon cameras. The pocket cameras aren't all that bad depending on which one you get. I've taken what I think are some great photos with them. The high telephoto lenses on some models will affect image quality IMO. But with the ability to change lenses and better lenses overall the IQ on the T3 doesn't suffer nearly as much.

I'm not out to make money with my T3. I don't expect to win any contests either. But there is a market for a camera on the level of the T3 clearly. Someone must be buying them. As for them not getting a lot of love on a board like this you have to remember that most of the people here are more serious about photography than I am. I have much better quality video cameras BTW. That is something I do to make money or I did for a good while. I've pretty much quit that too until computers get fast enough to edit HD video the way I want. I don't like waiting all night for a single edit to be put together. Even so my video equipment takes better quality stuff than many HD cameras do. The lens and the sensor makes a lot of difference. And one of my cameras shoots 16:9 video too.

My point is that there is a rear for every seat as my dad used to say (in a more "colorful" manner). If the T3 is your thing don't worry about what anyone else thinks. Remember too that there will always be someone to tell you that if you had just spent a little more money you would have been so much happier and you must have been crazy not to. That applies whether you buy a used Barbie camera (I have one for sale if you're interested) or a EOS-1D X. There's always something more you could have bought and if not wait a week and there will be.

Buy the camera you want and be sure to leave some money for lenses in your budget. Then don't worry what anyone says about it because someone will always look down their nose at you no matter what you buy. I haven't even mentioned Nikon and Sony and Panasonic camera lovers. They will have plenty of criticism for you. I bought what was considered to be one of the best prosumer video cameras on the market but within 6 months it was considered obsolete. Keep that in mind too. Your T3 would have been a super camera about 5 years ago. And I still have still cameras from 12 years ago that take great photos even compared to my T3. I made 8 X 10 prints from a 2MP camera. People said it wasn't possible to do that with less than 5mp then a year later it took 8mp then 10mp and according to some I can't do it with my 12 mp camera either. I wish they could see the photo I took of my father in law that I took with that 2mp camera. He died in 2002 and that photo is worth it's weight in gold to me and my wife. And I would defy anyone to tell me it isn't a good photo if they actually saw it. It has no pixelation even on his white shirt and very little noise too. Don't let people harsh your buzz in other words. The T3 will take some fine photos.

I agree as well.
I'm not a fan of the T3, I think Canon made a boneheaded choice with the alphanumeric naming (came out near the T3i release so it is confusing), and it is really a bare bones Rebel that is way more crippled than it needed to be. The T2i, or similar, (should be the "base" model). The finish on the T3 is cheap in comparison as well.
HOWEVER, that is in comparison to other Canon DSLRs. In comparison to a P&S, it is going to be head and shoulders better. The sensor alone gives you SO much better ISO range, and of course you get all of the convenient manual controls DSLRs have that make P&S's difficult in manual mode.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

sponsored links
ian_socool
Goldmember
1,824 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 30, 2013 21:44 |  #647

This is my 1st DSLR and 50d owners are surprised at how well the T3 handles noise. I have owned the T3 since 2011. I have done so many galleries I cannot count. This is a great camera or as I will eventually use it for, a second body. It is easy to navigate. Also the fact that it is being sold along side the T5 and SL1 is testament to the fact that it is still a good camera. I just wish it had self cleaning because this sensor can get dirty swapping lenses quickly. This is not a pro video camera. You cannot adjust the aperture for video. Most people bought the T3 for a reason, PRICE. That said, use it love it and don't complain.

70D, 80D, SL1, Sigma 10-20 3.5, Σ30mm 1.4, 40mm 2.8 Pancake Σ70mm 2.8 EX DG Macro, Canon 17-55 2.8 IS, Σ85 1.4, Σ50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM APO, Godox AD 200 X's 2, 430EX II X's 2, Yongnuo YN-560II X's 2, Cowboy Studio wireless flash triggers X4.Ian_socool FlickR (external link) Facebook fanpage (external link) http://ianlynphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Jeff_56
285 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Jun 30, 2013 21:54 |  #648
bannedPermanent ban

There's no doubt the T3 could be better. But if it was they would charge more for it. It's that simple. It's also true that a lot of P&S cameras have the manual controls that help make photos better (if you know how to make them work). But the quality of the glass makes the IQ of the T3 better generally than the pocket shooters that so many people buy. There's still room in the world for pocket cameras too as long as they work better than smart phone cameras. They generally do because you do get manual controls and for things like white balance that can make a huge difference. Sure you can generally fix WB issues in post but I'd just as soon not have to go through the effort.

And again the fact that we can change lenses on DSLR's of any kind is a big plus. I've tried those super zoom cameras including a very popular Canon. I took it back within a week because the IQ was just rotten. It's hard to make shortcuts on glass. I know the mirrorless cameras have done just that but they cost almost as much as a T3 and the thing is if you buy lenses for it don't expect to be using them on your next camera. A great part of DSLR appeal is the ability to buy lenses that you will have even after you get a better camera down the road.

The thing is I have other hobbies that take up my time and money these days. The last thing I need to do is to start from scratch and finance another obsession to the level I have gone to with my other hobbies. Like when I was riding my ATV's. I had two of them so I could take friends and family along. I had a trailer to haul them, a building to store them, and all the accessories a person needs to make them what they can be (like a winch, a nice storage box, cable pullers for pulling a different direct from the direction the winch pulls, cables to attach to trees etc. and a whole bunch of other stuff to keep from being stranded in the middle of nowhere. Then it was the trips to the great spots to ride. And the permits, the motel rooms, the gas, etc. etc. etc.. At one time I had at least $12k tied up into just the equipment I needed to keep 2 ATV's going to the trails. It was probably a lot more than that if I think about it but my wife my hear me thinking and I might want to spend money on my newest hobby - shooting. :) I spent $5000 in one year just on ammo. That doesn't even consider the scopes much less the rifles, the pistols, the shotguns, the safe to store it all in, etc. etc. etc. I don't even want to think how much money I have tied up into all that stuff and I really don't want to think about how much I've spent just on ammo over the past 5 years. It's got to be close to $20k just on ammo.

Plus I put a lot of money into video and audio equipment too. I did make some money on that stuff I guess but I didn't pay for everything because my big project hit a big snag. I'm still waiting to finish it. I had a publisher lined up but who knows if that will still work.

Heck I spent a whole bunch of money on a lawnmower that I really didn't need to spend. I could have kept my old one going a good while longer. It still works if anyone wants a used John Deere. :D

The point is not everyone wants to spend their money on photography equipment. I wanted a half decent setup for taking wildlife photos and maybe to take photos of some of the equipment I might want to sell if I decide to move on to another hobby. I like photography but so far I'm not obsessed with it like I am other things. If and/or when I become that way I will likely upgrade in a big way. Until then I have to worry about selling my old house because I had to move, buying a new house where we live now and trying not to lose my shirt in the process. I'm not real fond of living in a cardboard box either. A camera may just have to wait a while. :D

tat3406
275 posts
Joined May 2013

Jul 01, 2013 11:13 |  #649

I hope canon can build camera with SL1 Body with,remain the same spec of T3 and 12mp but with 6D high ISO performance. I dont think point and shoot can do this image.

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7055/8688404613_c256ecc847_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/tat3406/8688404​613/  (external link)
tortoise beetle (Charidotella) (external link) by kopi3406 (external link), on Flickr

6D, 100L,24-70 F4L, 40mm pancake, 70-300L
Carl Zeiss MP 50
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/tat3406/ (external link)

dmnelson
Goldmember
1,286 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 01, 2013 13:14 |  #650

I agree with the above comments. Could the T3 be better? Sure, but it's still very capable. Under normal circumstances (not extreme ISO or rapid-fire sports shooting) you'll see the most difference from the lens and the skill of the photographer. The T3 is no exception. If you attach the same lens and hand it to the same photographer, most people could never tell the difference between shots from a T3 and a more expensive crop.

Gear | Flickr (external link)

Jeff_56
285 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jul 01, 2013 20:38 |  #651
bannedPermanent ban

Very nice image tat3406. It "is" possible to get great images from a T3 as evidenced by your photo.

dmnelson
Goldmember
1,286 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 02, 2013 13:48 |  #652

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2882/9195306190_0bcc38e443_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/davidmnelson/9​195306190/  (external link)

Gear | Flickr (external link)

Jeff_56
285 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jul 02, 2013 21:31 |  #653
bannedPermanent ban

Here's a photo I took at night with my T3. As good as some of my P&S cameras have been, it would have been very hard to get results like this from the camera's built in flash on the spur of the moment. BTW my dog is actually smiling at me and not growling. :) People think dogs don't smile. All of mine do. It's just a matter of knowing how to teach them to do it. And they do it wen they're happy too. I remember the words of a popular song saying a smile on a dog was a fake. They were wrong. :)

IMAGE: http://www.a-framevideo.com/Rudy%20smiling%20d.jpg

cololeo
172 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 03, 2013 01:46 |  #654

The T3 does just fine.

IMAGE: http://imageshack.us/a/img191/6820/m0oj.jpg

FluPics@gmail.com (external link)

cololeo
172 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 03, 2013 01:49 |  #655

Jeff_56 wrote in post #16086000 (external link)
Here's a photo I took at night with my T3. As good as some of my P&S cameras have been, it would have been very hard to get results like this from the camera's built in flash on the spur of the moment. BTW my dog is actually smiling at me and not growling. :) People think dogs don't smile. All of mine do. It's just a matter of knowing how to teach them to do it. And they do it wen they're happy too. I remember the words of a popular song saying a smile on a dog was a fake. They were wrong. :)

My Catahoula has a really stupid grin with her lips just hanging up on her teeth. Dogs smile, grin and also laugh.

00leland00
50 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 03, 2013 08:27 as a reply to  @ cololeo's post |  #656

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8283/7740573344_bd04ba96d4_b.jpg

Dusty ­ Lens
221 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 03, 2013 08:44 |  #657

cololeo wrote in post #16086474 (external link)
My Catahoula has a really stupid grin with her lips just hanging up on her teeth. Dogs smile, grin and also laugh.

U got a catahoula? awesome I got a catahoula as well.... she always have funny and weird grins lol.

Dusty Lens
Canon 70d, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-55 STM, Mitakon 85mm f2 MF, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8, Neewer TT560 flash,

Jeff_56
285 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jul 03, 2013 11:19 |  #658
bannedPermanent ban

I had a catahoula only we called them Leopard Curs. That was the first dog I ever owned that would smile and took what I learned from it and used it to teach other dogs to smile. I guess the most beautiful dog I ever saw was a pup of my Cur but it had a genetic defect that was pretty bad. According to what I've learned a lot of them can have pretty serious defects as a result of a long history of line breeding. That pup looked a lot like this dog:

IMAGE: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/89/Sasquatchcatahoulas.jpg/220px-Sasquatchcatahoulas.jpg

That image comes from Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Catahoula_Cur (external link).

That Cur I had was one of the best dogs I ever owned. I lived right at the edge of town so I could let my dog run loose in the backyard which was outside city limits. It managed to keep the copperheads out of my yard which had been a major problem. But the dog catcher hated my dog for some reason even though other people on my street had dogs running loose. He picked my dog up about 5 times but my neighbor would sneak into his yard and turn my dog loose late at night. She didn't like the snakes in her back yard either. We called that dog Gypsy and it certainly fit. The dang dog catcher finally swerved out of the road and ran over that dog. People saw him do it. But getting anything done about it in that town was out of the question.

Here's a photo of Gypsy when she was very young. She was a great dog IMO. The photo isn't so great though. This was from 30+ years ago and I was flat broke at the time. So I had a camera my father in law gave me. It was a Polaroid. ;( ;)

IMAGE: http://www.a-framevideo.com/Gypsy%20as%20a%20pup%20e.jpg

Dave ­ Orr
140 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 03, 2013 11:46 |  #659

I took this on the weekend with my lowly T3 and 18-55mm kit lens.
Seems to do an admirable job. ;)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …3/Mayfly2_zps5f​3b7a99.jpg (external link)

T3, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Kit Lens, CANON EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mark I

cololeo
172 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 04, 2013 02:36 |  #660

Damn, I feel like I'm hijacking this thread, but I have to confess that the last pic I posted was taken with an XT instead of a T3. Anyway, here is Hula the Catahoula. (edit) Louisiana Leopard Dog.

IMAGE: http://imageshack.us/a/img29/5250/v0sb.jpg

sponsored links

166,598 views & 0 likes for this thread
who has the T3 / 1100D ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.