Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 17 Aug 2012 (Friday) 14:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ultimate Guy With Camera

sgtbueno
807 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 23, 2012 22:50 |  #16

I just dont see whats the big deal, if I can do my job I dont really care how many other photogs are there, specially the father.

Wedding Photography by Felix Bueno Photography (external link) -- Facebook (external link)
1x Canon 5DIII - 2X Canon 5D Mark II - Sigma 35 1.4 - Sigma 50 1.4 - Sigma 85 1.4 - Canon 85 1.2 - Canon 100L IS - Canon 135L F2 - Canon 16-35L II - Canon 70-200 2.8 II IS - 6X YN600EX-RT -Canon 580EX II X 2- Canon 430EX II X3- Yongnuo YN-565EX - and tons of Radio Poppers :)

sponsored links
dmward
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 23, 2012 23:21 |  #17

sgtbueno wrote in post #14899411 (external link)
I just dont see whats the big deal, if I can do my job I dont really care how many other photogs are there, specially the father.

I agree.

I think, what is upsetting to some is the distraction it may cause. Others, I think, are concerned about lost revenue potential because there are other sources the guests have for images.

In this specific instance, I thought it was interesting that the dad was showing his pictures, before the ceremony even started.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

sebr
Goldmember
4,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 24, 2012 11:57 |  #18

I am not a pro and if I happen to shoot a wedding I am almost careful not to disturb the hired photographer, if any. I must say I am always a bit disturbed to hear the 'I am a pro, so my shots are better' line. I was asked to shoot my friends' wedding last year and turned it down because I have read so many time that you really need to know what you do. I gave them a list of pros in the areas and they hired one after meeting some pros in the list. I took some shots at the church and the party. The pro covered the church and a separate session, but was not hired for the party because of limited budget. I was really careful not to disturb the pro and only took shots from the distance. I spent a lot of time editing the photos, considering that the theme of the wedding was vintage. I met my friends afterwards and they told me that my shots in the church and outside the church were better, and they were pleased with my shots at the party...

Sebastien
5D mkIII ; 17-40L ; 24-105L ; 70-200L II ; 70-300L ; 35L ; Σ85/1.4 ; 135L ; 100macro ; Kenko 1.4x ; 2x mkIII ; 580EXII
M5 ; M1 ; 11-22 ; 18-150 ; 22/2.0 ; EF adapter; Manfrotto LED
Benron Tripod; ThinkTank, Lowepro and Crumpler bags; Fjällräven backpack

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 24, 2012 12:17 |  #19

Candyann wrote in post #14874789 (external link)
This is why I have it written in my contract that no other pro-photographer or pro cameras are not aloud to shoot. Doing so breaks the contract and will result in an immediate stop in professional services. I make it very clear to my clients as well. They are paying me and should not have their photos compromised by amateurs or others fighting for the couples attention. The wedding day is long and the couple has enough to deal with anyway, this can actually be a relief for them.

See I have no problem as a pro as I know my photos are better, I have this in my contract because of the distraction it can run and take away from the professional photos I can achieve for the couple who have paid me good money to do so. I suspect I will never have to leave a wedding over this, it just makes sure everyone is clear on the rules and will keep their guests in line.

I don't know if that attitude right way to approach the problem. It would certainly turn me off.

I brought my 1Ds and a 50L to my cousins wedding. Their photographer did not, not would I have let them stop me for taking all of.....15 pictures with it?

You may(should) consider updating your contracts language to reflect that you do not want distractions, and that you hold the right to ask people to stop snapping for a few minutes(or what have you).

If I were the bride, and you left my wedding because my father pulled out his 5D, or D4 or what ever, Id sue the ever loving you know what out of you.

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

AvailableLight
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 24, 2012 12:58 |  #20

dmward wrote in post #14878123 (external link)
...When I notice that the couple or group has wondering eyes, I just stop, look at the photographer that is distracting them and say, loud enough for the couple to hear, "when you're done, I'd like to get some pictures too"...

After reading this thread I find that doing the above is the best approach. No need for a contract when you can simply and politely ask others to let you take your shots and then they can have at it.

AJ
Rebel T3i (600D)
18-55 | 55-250 | 50 1.8 | 60 2.8 macro | 15-85 | 430 EXII

Candyann
113 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 31, 2012 10:12 |  #21

pyrojim wrote in post #14901361 (external link)
I don't know if that attitude right way to approach the problem. It would certainly turn me off.

I brought my 1Ds and a 50L to my cousins wedding. Their photographer did not, not would I have let them stop me for taking all of.....15 pictures with it?

You may(should) consider updating your contracts language to reflect that you do not want distractions, and that you hold the right to ask people to stop snapping for a few minutes(or what have you).

If I were the bride, and you left my wedding because my father pulled out his 5D, or D4 or what ever, Id sue the ever loving you know what out of you.

You missed the point completely.....I dont think I am even going to explain it to you,. :rolleyes:

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,351 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 29, 2013 16:59 |  #22

My contract states that for formals if there are people mulling around that are not going to be in the photos then they need to be seated and quiet while I'm shooting. It also states that if there are distractions then I reserve the right to stop what I'm doing and let the rabblerousers do whatever they feel is important to do. Basically, the bride will make sure her wedding planner gets everyone out of the church before I start taking the formal photos.

I had to add this to my contract since one of the weddings I did there were (I kid you not) about 25 people directly behind me taking photos. I couldn't back up. I even had one person step directly in front of me while I was taking pictures and they stepped on my foot in the process. That was the last straw.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

Trent ­ Gillespie
589 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jun 30, 2013 00:29 as a reply to  @ CameraMan's post |  #23

I have a clause in my contract pertaining to this subject, but it still happens. I do two things to help rid myself of annoying second shooters. The first, is I purposely back into them... After a few toes get stepped on, they usually get the point.... My second solution is to speed things up... As soon as my exposure is made, I tell the couple to move or change things up, not giving time for someone to butt in for their attention.

Trent Gillespie
Denver Wedding Photographer (external link)
Gear in the Bag (external link)

vzuptnguyen
174 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jul 01, 2013 10:08 |  #24

i dont mind any amount of other photographers IF THE COUPLES DON'T MIND.

It all comes down to how great of a WEDDING photographer you are. It's very different from many types of photography, in which you have to have skills in directing and crowd control, all with your artistic mind in priority not being cluttered by your environment.

If you can't handle that, you just need more practice as a wedding photographer. I use to have issues with it often starting out, but realize its YOUR job as a photographer NO MATTER THE ENVIRONMENT to produce THE BEST images of your ability that the couple HIRED YOU for. MAKE it work. There are no excuses when it comes down to the final work being produce.

If you say something lame like, "oh they're were a bunch of people behind me." Are you not assertive enough to use a loud voice and tell guest, kindly, to back up and not be around you? Did the guest not speak the same language (plausible) but even then, hand gestures...

A lot of these people complaining, have a really bad eye for wedding photography. I wouldn't take their word for it.

Trent ­ Gillespie
589 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jul 01, 2013 10:12 |  #25

vzuptnguyen wrote in post #16080604 (external link)
i dont mind any amount of other photographers IF THE COUPLES DON'T MIND.

It all comes down to how great of a WEDDING photographer you are. It's very different from many types of photography, in which you have to have skills in directing and crowd control, all with your artistic mind in priority not being cluttered by your environment.

If you can't handle that, you just need more practice as a wedding photographer. I use to have issues with it often starting out, but realize its YOUR job as a photographer NO MATTER THE ENVIRONMENT to produce THE BEST images of your ability that the couple HIRED YOU for. MAKE it work. There are no excuses when it comes down to the final work being produce.

If you say something lame like, "oh they're were a bunch of people behind me." Are you not assertive enough to use a loud voice and tell guest, kindly, to back up and not be around you? Did the guest not speak the same language (plausible) but even then, hand gestures...

A lot of these people complaining, have a really bad eye for wedding photography. I wouldn't take their word for it.

One of the greatest wedding photographers in the industry just posted this on his Twitter.

Shooting a beautiful church ceremony in Philly. It's tough being one man w a camera VS 150 people w iPhones in the damn way. #ridiculous

Trent Gillespie
Denver Wedding Photographer (external link)
Gear in the Bag (external link)

LucasCK
352 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 01, 2013 23:53 as a reply to  @ Trent Gillespie's post |  #26

My patience runs really thin with casual shooters at weddings.. I once had a casual
Shooter come up to me with the ****s because I walked in front of her. The bride apparently said she could take photos with her 550d and kit lens

They are going to see the actual photos eventually anyway if they are close to the bride and groom..

5d4, 2x6d, 5d2, 24-70L II, Sigma 35A 1.4, Canon 70-200 2.8L II, 135 2.0L, 430ex2, 600ex-rt
http://www.lucaskrausp​hotography.com (external link)
http://www.lucaskrausp​hotography.com …ane-wedding-photographer/ (external link)

jcolman
Goldmember
2,665 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 02, 2013 05:30 |  #27

The last thing I want is for the B&G or any of the guests to see me get pissed off because someone else is shooting. That does not lead to recommendations or foster good will. I am always cheerful and easy going at the wedding, no matter how many other "uncle Bob's" are there. If people are snapping away during the formals, I'll simply step back, smile and tell the crowd "once these guys have finished getting their shots, I'll get mine". I don't think I've ever waited more than 15-30 seconds.

I've had more pictures ruined by church ladies standing behind the bride as she walks down the aisle than people with cameras getting in my way.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

g-money
Goldmember
1,601 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 03, 2013 12:31 |  #28

jcolman wrote in post #16083238 (external link)
I've had more pictures ruined by church ladies standing behind the bride as she walks down the aisle than people with cameras getting in my way.

So true! I have one local planner who actually refers several brides a year to me, but gosh dang it you don't have to stand in the middle of aisle and watch the bride and her father walk down. I have started reminding her at every wedding as she tends to run up to straighten the brides dress as she makes her entrance then just stands there with them. uhhh

As for others with cameras, you can have it written all in your contract, I do as well, but enforcing it is another matter. I would rather not come off as that type photographer. I talk to the B/G during the consult and tell them that really the only time I might say anything is during the family formals as I need all the eyes looking my way. Even then you can find a polite or humors way to deal with it.

Canon 6D X 2, Canon 5D, FUJI X100, Canon Rebel XT, Canon 24-70L VII, Canon 35L 1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Tokina 16-28 2.8, 580exII x2, Godox 850 X 2, 430ex

Website... [URL="http://www.gowen​sphotography.com"]Arkansas Wedding Photographerexternal link

scobols
Goldmember
1,362 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 03, 2013 12:44 |  #29

Candyann wrote in post #14874789 (external link)
This is why I have it written in my contract that no other pro-photographer or pro cameras are not aloud to shoot.

Do you define "pro camera" in your contract? I'm curious because saying pro camera is pretty vague and leaves room for a lot of challenges.

Scott

www.scottbolster.com (external link)
facebook (external link)

CoPhotoGuy
276 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jul 03, 2013 12:50 |  #30

pyrojim wrote in post #14901361 (external link)

And you would lose.

GWAC's annoy me as much as anyone else. If they want to grab some candids and things during the ceremony/reception, etc. that's fine as long as they stay out of the way. I have no problem stepping in front of them, asking them to move, etc. Most are fine with that.

I simply do not allow other shooters to accompany the couple for the posed/semi-posed session shots with just the couple.

sponsored links

10,366 views & 0 likes for this thread
Ultimate Guy With Camera
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.