Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 03 Jul 2013 (Wednesday) 21:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lense protection?

paintcheck
154 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jul 03, 2013 21:22 |  #1

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, however, I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a lense protection device out there that isn't a hood.

Basically what I'm looking for is something that is like a filter, but is like a hard/safety glass or plastic that I can put on the end of the lense to keep it from being shot through by a paintball.

I've looked at the hoods and they would be ok for side protection, but I was wanting something for direct/head on protection..

Been looking on B&H but i must not be in the right area, or it doesnt exist :(

Camera(s): 7D, (wishing for a 5dm3)
Lenses: Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC / Tamron 75-300 f/4-5.6 / Canon Nifty Fifty / Tamron 10-24 f/3.5-4.5
Cards: 16GB/32Gb SanDisks CF

sponsored links
Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,506 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 12
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 03, 2013 21:23 |  #2

Hoya recently released an impact/shatter resistant UV filter, I would think that would be your best bet.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

paintcheck
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jul 03, 2013 21:24 |  #3

Scatterbrained wrote in post #16089226 (external link)
Hoya recently released an impact/shatter resistant UV filter, I would think that would be your best bet.

Thank you.

Lenses: Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC / Tamron 75-300 f/4-5.6 / Canon Nifty Fifty / Tamron 10-24 f/3.5-4.5

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,317 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Jul 03, 2013 21:25 as a reply to  @ paintcheck's post |  #4

I think even the anti-filter jihadists would give you a pass on this one :D!

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

paintcheck
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jul 03, 2013 21:26 |  #5

ed rader wrote in post #16089232 (external link)

ha! not trying to offend anyone. I just don't want my gear broken if I can take reasonable steps to prevent it :)

Please don't get the pitch forks and torches!

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,506 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 12
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 03, 2013 21:27 |  #6

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=cT6wBQR7iqE (external link)

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …C_77mm_Hoya_HD_​Clear.html (external link)

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

paintcheck
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jul 03, 2013 21:31 |  #7

hmmm thats kinda nice.. the 77mm i'm assuming is the standard size for the 55-250mm lense?

*taking notes*

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 03, 2013 21:35 |  #8

The 55-250 takes a 58mm filter. You'd need a step-up (down?) ring to use the 77mm.

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

ed ­ rader
23,317 posts
Joined May 2005

Jul 03, 2013 22:47 |  #9

abhphotography wrote in post #16089235 (external link)
ha! not trying to offend anyone. I just don't want my gear broken if I can take reasonable steps to prevent it :)

Please don't get the pitch forks and torches!

I found a nasty scratch on the protective filter of my 24-70L II after my night climb on the bay bridge. sure glad it wasn't the front element :D.

5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 04, 2013 06:37 |  #10

ed rader wrote in post #16089232 (external link)

Ah, so you admit that we're not anti-'protective' filters through some instinctive aversion. Instead we are anti-'protective' filters unless necessary.

Yes, even I bought a Hoya HD. But only because it did seem as if it might actually protect the lens (unlike some that seem to shatter if stared at harshly). And then it's only to be used when shooting my friend galloping and jumping her horse - because it kicks up stones. Oh, and it's also very handy for getting images that demonstrate that even an expensive 'protective' filter can cause noticeable image degradation ;)

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

auto-clicker
819 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 04, 2013 07:21 as a reply to  @ hollis_f's post |  #11

The best protection for gear is a good bank account.

For paint ball just use a clear protection filter from Hoya or BW

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jul 04, 2013 08:33 |  #12

auto-clicker wrote in post #16090226 (external link)
For paint ball just use a clear protection filter from Hoya or BW

We've seen here in the forum that standard UV filters can and do get smashed to smithereens when directly hit by paintballs. The only filter that I've seen which is likely to tolerate paintball hits is the Hoya HD filter Protector (external link). However, I still would not want a zoom lens hit head-on by a paintball because that force would be driven at the mechanism which moves the lens in and out and could cause internal damage in the lens.

A far better method to protect the camera/lens when on a paintball range would be to have the camera and lens in some sort of protective container (something like a soundproofing blimp or an underwater rig). That way, the impact wouldn't affect the camera or lens.

For ABH (the OP): The word lens only has one "e" in it.  :p

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,256 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 04, 2013 12:28 |  #13

And a hood would help, too. WIth a deeper hood only the most directly head-on paintball shot might get to the protective filter. A wider hood would give less protection, but still would offer some. Photographing paintball and using a valuable lens, I'd use both... protection filter and hood.

A rigid underwater case would be ideal, but the good ones are quite expensive and even they might get damaged. It may be more sensible to rent one, if you can find a place that offers one to fit your particular camera and lens. However, most cases can't accomodate longer telephotos... and lens changes, even memory card or battery changes are a pain in the arse.

Oh, and one also has to consider the lenses being protected... What's it cost to replace an 18-55 or 75-300? Around $120 each? Is a $45 protection filter a good investment for either? Canon hood is another $25 or so (there are cheaper 3rd party clones) but would always be a good idea to have and use anyway. It would cost upwards of $300 or $400 to rent an underwater housing with a couple lens ports, so would be cheaper to replace both those lenses if they get damaged.

The most practical "protection" of all might be an insurance overrider covering the gear against damage, with no deductible.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

ed ­ rader
23,317 posts
Joined May 2005

Jul 04, 2013 13:08 |  #14

amfoto1 wrote in post #16090983 (external link)
And a hood would help, too. WIth a deeper hood only the most directly head-on paintball shot might get to the protective filter. A wider hood would give less protection, but still would offer some. Photographing paintball and using a valuable lens, I'd use both... protection filter and hood.

A rigid underwater case would be ideal, but the good ones are quite expensive and even they might get damaged. It may be more sensible to rent one, if you can find a place that offers one to fit your particular camera and lens. However, most cases can't accomodate longer telephotos... and lens changes, even memory card or battery changes are a pain in the arse.

Oh, and one also has to consider the lenses being protected... What's it cost to replace an 18-55 or 75-300? Around $120 each? Is a $45 protection filter a good investment for either? Canon hood is another $25 or so (there are cheaper 3rd party clones) but would always be a good idea to have and use anyway. It would cost upwards of $300 or $400 to rent an underwater housing with a couple lens ports, so would be cheaper to replace both those lenses if they get damaged.

The most practical "protection" of all might be an insurance overrider covering the gear against damage, with no deductible.

another inflated figure for the sake of jihad :D!

paintcheck
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jul 04, 2013 14:02 |  #15

SkipD wrote in post #16090353 (external link)
We've seen here in the forum that standard UV filters can and do get smashed to smithereens when directly hit by paintballs. The only filter that I've seen which is likely to tolerate paintball hits is the Hoya HD filter Protector (external link). However, I still would not want a zoom lens hit head-on by a paintball because that force would be driven at the mechanism which moves the lens in and out and could cause internal damage in the lens.

A far better method to protect the camera/lens when on a paintball range would be to have the camera and lens in some sort of protective container (something like a soundproofing blimp or an underwater rig. That way, the impact wouldn't affect the camera or lens.

For ABH (the OP): The word lens only has one "e" in it.  :p

Ha! thanks.. sometimes my fingers get in such a hurry that i don't pay attention to exactly what they are typing sometimes. so does this count as my only warning from the spelling ****'s? :lol:

I was thinking the hood and filter would be good protection, but I wasn't sure just how good the hoods really are. They look kinda flimsy. ha! I've seen some guys use a paintball box to cover their gear which is pretty ingenious but sometimes it's not always practical.

A good bank account sure is helpful, but i have too many expensive hobbies, my bank account screams for mercy every time i find a new one :(

amfoto1 wrote in post #16090983 (external link)

I will be calling my agent tomorrow to inquire about a rider policy. The only lenses I have at this point are the 18-55 and the 55-250 both IS/AF. Rather cheap, but rather expensive too ya know?

ed rader wrote in post #16091105 (external link)
another inflated figure for the sake of jihad :D!

ha! be nice now.

sponsored links

4,247 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lense protection?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.