Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Jul 2013 (Wednesday) 22:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Stupid question: the point of wifi on DSLR?

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 04, 2013 13:39 |  #46

As far as GPS is concerned: Ask any scientist who works in the field, and that includes forest rangers, firefighters, etc. GPS is amazing.

I'll be glad to have it with me when I someday find Blackbeard's treasure. Then I'll know where to go when I return with a hired crew.

Okay, so that's stretching it.

But there is an atomic bomb in the water near Savannah. Seriously, it's right there, and they haven't been able to find it. Years ago a plane was coming in for a shaky landing and it was decided that dropping the unarmed nuke in the water was better than risking a crash landing with it on board.

So, to this day, the nuclear bomb sits in the mud, under the water, somewhere between Tybee Island and Little Tybee Island.

Now, take a waterproof camera with GPS, attach it to heavy fishing line, go find the bomb, and then get famous.

Just don't tell anyone on the phone or through facebook, email, text, etc. Big Brother will bust down the door and steal your camera.

Thank you. bw!

sponsored links
powerslave
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 04, 2013 13:40 |  #47

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #16091187 (external link)
As far as GPS is concerned: Ask any scientist who works in the field, and that includes forest rangers, firefighters, etc. GPS is amazing.

I'll be glad to have it with me when I someday find Blackbeard's treasure. Then I'll know where to go when I return with a hired crew.

Okay, so that's stretching it.

But there is an atomic bomb in the water near Savannah. Seriously, it's right there, and they haven't been able to find it. Years ago a plane was coming in for a shaky landing and it was decided that dropping the unarmed nuke in the water was better than risking a crash landing with it on board.

So, to this day, the nuclear bomb sits in the mud, under the water, somewhere between Tybee Island and Little Tybee Island.

Now, take a waterproof camera with GPS, attach it to heavy fishing line, go find the bomb, and then get famous.

Just don't tell anyone on the phone or through facebook, email, text, etc. Big Brother will bust down the door and steal your camera.

OH CMON MAN! Why did you have to trigger my OCD with that information.

Stupid 6D features. :-x

flickr photostream (external link)
DP2 Merrill | 6D | TS-E24LII | EF24-105L | Fuji X-M1 | XC 16-50

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,286 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 04, 2013 17:00 as a reply to  @ post 16091165 |  #48

The 6D is better in this case, since it can provide a wireless access point. A 7D equipped with the WFT-E5 requires an ad-hoc connection where there's no infrastructure, and not all phones support that.

Haha, unfortunately GPS doesn't work under the water.

Anders

Preeb
Goldmember
2,646 posts
Gallery: 134 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 04, 2013 18:28 |  #49

powerslave wrote in post #16089435 (external link)
No magic here, I was able to step away from the camera. I have taken handheld shots of these birds as well, but this allowed me to set up my shot and camp out.

Edit: I noticed I was asked what unique feature, well, for one, a remote could be used to do the same thing, but this let's me sample my shots on the fly, let's me adjust settings and FOCUS manually (and AF) without having to go near the camera.

You may perhaps be able to achieve some of this functionality by remote and/or Eye-fi or whatever, but this simple built in feature lets me do it with minimal hassle.

That's just one example. I have used it for night sky photography using the EOS remote app (I haven't uploaded any of those pics anywhere cause I was fooling about).

And there are tons of uses that I can actually see myself using this for as a landscape photographer. The biggest one being setting the camera in tight spaces with a remote live view display.

You could place the camera at water level in streams where it's hard to stoop down (especially if you don't have a tilting screen) for composition and focusing etc..

This is all in addition to the classic features of a remote controller anyway, except this is better because unlike IR remotes, this doesn't have the line-of-sight problems.

I do not see myself purchasing a non-wifi DSLR/camera anytime soon.

I can get the same shot with my RF remote release which cost me $25.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

Canon_Lover
Goldmember
2,673 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 04, 2013 18:39 |  #50

One of the big failures of the 6D wifi is that it gets really iffy when there are other wireless networks nearby. For some reason the 6D signal gets lost much easier. Not a big issue when out in the woods though. Out in a clear field I can operate my camera from my iPhone at around 300 feet away. Now that's impressive!

I like the Wifi ability and it gives me a competitive advantage in my profession over people who dismiss it as just a gimmick. Camera wifi is not for people who are not creatively minded enough to see the possibilities. Thankfully Canon designers and engineers saw the creative potential for such a powerful device feature.

Also, most people carry their phones with them, so dropping all the RF gear also drops weight without losing functionality, and actually gaining tons of functionality.

6D wifi app allows you to open and close live view. When closed, the remote shutter release is as instantaneous as using a RF trigger setup. It also keeps your camera more weather resistant since you don't have to open a door and insert extra crap.

Canon_Lover
Goldmember
2,673 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 04, 2013 18:40 |  #51

Preeb wrote in post #16091874 (external link)
I can do the same thing with my RF remote release which cost me $25.

:lol::lol: No it can't :lol::lol:

icacphotography
613 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jul 04, 2013 18:48 |  #52

gabebalazs wrote in post #16089441 (external link)
I'm sure it was done via the smartphone app, where you can actually control the 6D and see what your camera sees in real time. You can make all adjustments, and press shutter etc.
I haven't tried that on mine. But I've read quite a few pros, event and wedding photographers, who really like this feature (set up a 6D in the corner on an elevated tripod with a wide angle lens. You can shoot with another body in the crowd but can take remote shots with your Wifi 6D.)

I can see how that would be useful :). I can also see myself (assuming I upgrade to a camera with wifi) using it a fair bit for work with long exposures and such where I want to see what's happening in real time and at the same time I dislike IR remotes so I'd rather not trigger the shutter manually but do it remotely so I don't disturb the camera in any way.

Body:50D gripped Magic Lantern'd
Lenses:50mm 1.8,40mm 2.8,28-105 USM II,70-210 F4, 1962 Asahi Pentax Super Takumar 55mm 1.8
Flash: Canon 430 EX
The camera is just a tool - it is not responsible for the picture.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 04, 2013 18:56 |  #53
bannedPermanent ban

Canon_Lover wrote in post #16091896 (external link)
I like the Wifi ability and it gives me a competitive advantage in my profession over people who dismiss it as just a gimmick. Camera wifi is not for people who are not creatively minded enough to see the possibilities. Thankfully Canon designers and engineers saw the creative potential for such a powerful device feature.

Actually, all Canon designers and engineers did was copy a technology that was already available in other cameras. I have a camera, wifi, phone, Internet browser, e-mail and tons of apps all in my pocket everywhere I go. Canon did not originate anything here...just flowing with the crowd.

archer1960
Goldmember
4,931 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 04, 2013 19:03 |  #54

birder_herper wrote in post #16089302 (external link)
I was curious what wifi is useful for on a DSLR. I just watched a couple videos on youtube and it does seem pretty neat. With a Canon EOS app, you could use your smartphone to trigger the DSLR (useful for taking a photograph of yourself, group shots with you in it, etc). I also found it to be neat that almost instantly a photo taken with the DSLR could be sent to a smartphone, which you could then email to someone. So much for the days when I would photograph my DSLR's LCD screen with my smartphone and then send!

So I was curious what other cool things wifi can do. I initially thought it meant you could browse websites, check email, etc just like I can do on my smartphone. Can it do this, too?

Thanks!

Tethering to a laptop without a cable would be my killer app...

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

Canon_Lover
Goldmember
2,673 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 04, 2013 19:13 |  #55

Hogloff wrote in post #16091951 (external link)
Actually, all Canon designers and engineers did was copy a technology that was already available in other cameras. I have a camera, wifi, phone, Internet browser, e-mail and tons of apps all in my pocket everywhere I go. Canon did not originate anything here...just flowing with the crowd.

I could care less if they invented the idea or not (which I never said they did). They are the first ones to integrate it into a FF DSLR and did a good job on the first iteration of the APP. They didn't half-ass it like Nikon did with their last round of DSLR cameras. :lol::lol:

They saw the potential and implemented it better than anyone else. Give Canon at least a little credit here. They deserve it! :D

Canon_Lover
Goldmember
2,673 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 04, 2013 19:15 |  #56

archer1960 wrote in post #16091973 (external link)
Tethering to a laptop without a cable would be my killer app...

Doesn't the EOS tethering software for the computer already do this with the 6D? I thought people could connect with their computers? I haven't tried yet myself, just my iPhone.

archer1960
Goldmember
4,931 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 04, 2013 19:18 |  #57

Canon_Lover wrote in post #16092011 (external link)
Doesn't the EOS tethering software for the computer already do this with the 6D? I thought people could connect with their computers? I haven't tried yet myself, just my iPhone.

Now that there is wifi, yes you can; I was answering the question in the original thread topic. I was saying that it is now possible. My older body requires a USB cable for it.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

padmasana
52 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 04, 2013 20:29 |  #58

Something I'm not clear about concerning wifi cameras is do you need an external wifi connection (like a starbucks or a home connection) to make it work or does it just work between the camera and smartphone regardless of whether there are wifi networks within the reach of both.
Thanks for any help. I'm tired of scratching my head about this.

powerslave
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 04, 2013 20:43 |  #59

padmasana wrote in post #16092178 (external link)
Something I'm not clear about concerning wifi cameras is do you need an external wifi connection (like a starbucks or a home connection) to make it work or does it just work between the camera and smartphone regardless of whether there are wifi networks within the reach of both.
Thanks for any help. I'm tired of scratching my head about this.

This should help you.

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com …48/01/eos6d-wff-im-en.pdf (external link)

flickr photostream (external link)
DP2 Merrill | 6D | TS-E24LII | EF24-105L | Fuji X-M1 | XC 16-50

padmasana
52 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 04, 2013 22:21 |  #60

thanks for the link!

sponsored links

10,637 views & 0 likes for this thread
Stupid question: the point of wifi on DSLR?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.