Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Jul 2013 (Monday) 23:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EOS 70D officially announced!

woos
Goldmember
2,224 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 05, 2013 13:28 |  #631

ScullenCrossBones wrote in post #16093956 (external link)
Full frame? Doubtful.

Yeah that link is friggin old, too, isn't it? Doubtful.

amanathia.zenfolio.com

sponsored links
Matrim33
268 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 05, 2013 13:28 |  #632

Seems like Canon's feeding their base, which is unfortunately their consumer grade DSLRs. That base demands video.

6D - 50mm f/1.4 - 85mm f/1.8 - 24-105mm f/4L - 16-35mm f/2.8L II - 70-300mm f/4-5.6 - 600EX-RT

andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 05, 2013 13:29 |  #633

hollis_f wrote in post #16093994 (external link)
Bwaahaaahaaahaaaa!

It's great looking back at old rumours and just how far out they really were.

Actually, other than naming it 6D instead of 7DII, the rumor is quite spot on.

I kept reading the rumor and thinking "what about the 6D, what about the 6D?" and then I looked up at the date it was published... :D

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,289 posts
Gallery: 424 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Jul 05, 2013 13:34 |  #634

gjl711 wrote in post #16094063 (external link)
Having video available is nice and as pointed out, it adds little to the cost of the body. My main gripe is that nearly all of the innovation is going into video and the still shooters especially those shooting raw, are being totally ignored.

I'm anxiously awaiting some raw sample images but from what Canon themselves are stating, the 70D will have raw performance about equal to the 60D. That means that there has not been an improvement to the basic image quality since the 7D first came out 4 years ago and if the 7DII uses this same chip, the 7DII will have no still image improvement over the 7D for those that prefer raw images and not in-camera processed jpeg images.

Matrim33 wrote in post #16094070 (external link)
Preach on!

Yep! gjl711 pretty much says it all right there.

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

brettjrob
Dr. Goodness PHD
470 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 05, 2013 13:47 |  #635

I'm anxiously awaiting some raw sample images but from what Canon themselves are stating, the 70D will have raw performance about equal to the 60D. That means that there has not been an improvement to the basic image quality since the 7D first came out 4 years ago and if the 7DII uses this same chip, the 7DII will have no still image improvement over the 7D for those that prefer raw images and not in-camera processed jpeg images.

This is what I suspect, too, though as I said earlier I'm trying to reserve judgment until RAW samples are out. I think it's telling that even on POTN, much of the chatter about new bodies often revolves around AF points, button placement, and other features that are secondary to pure image quality. If that's the sense of priorities here, then imagine what it's like for Joe Blow off the street who decides to wade into the DSLR world because it's so cheap and accessible (which probably accounts for a fair number of sales nowadays). Beyond frustrating.

Nikon D610, D5100
Samyang 14/2.8 | Nikon 18-35G, 24-85G VR, 70-200/4G VR

Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | skyinmotion.com (external link)
Feedback

mccamli
612 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 05, 2013 14:58 as a reply to  @ brettjrob's post |  #636

Is one of the main reasons we use our SLR's primarily for photos simply that they suck at shooting video (for the majority of users)? I've taken a few video clips of my kids with my 7D but TBH I'd probably have been better off using my S100.

The 70D looks like we'l be able to use video and live view almost as easily as taking photos.

I'd love better RAW performance from my 7D but if the 70D's on par then it's certainly a significant upgrade on the 60D and bodes well for the 7DII, assuming such a thing will exist.

This is the 1st sensor of its type for Canon and I'd like to think they haven't hit perfection at their first attempt so hopefully there's more to come.

Having said that, I hope that when Canon said the RAW performance was pretty much on par with the 60D that they meant slightly better rather than slightly worse.

I'd love to be good (or less pedantic) enough to shoot jpegs all the time but the truth is that I'm not so I'll be very interested to see how the 70D's sensor performs.

Flickr (external link)
500PX (external link)
Facebook (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 05, 2013 15:04 |  #637

mccamli wrote in post #16094298 (external link)
Having said that, I hope that when Canon said the RAW performance was pretty much on par with the 60D that they meant slightly better rather than slightly worse.

I think you'll find they meant it will be about the same.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

mccamli
612 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 05, 2013 15:17 |  #638

hollis_f wrote in post #16094308 (external link)
I think you'll find they meant it will be about the same.

Political speak or scientific speak? I'm becoming sceptical in my old age

Flickr (external link)
500PX (external link)
Facebook (external link)

i-G12
Wat?
1,716 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 05, 2013 15:25 |  #639

I've brn following along on this thread. Very confused.

Presently using a T4i. So from what we know, what would I be gaining by going to the 70D?

I realize it's up in the air whether or not there is increased ISO quality...I'd really like some of that.

But, what else would I be gaining from what we know at this point? :confused:

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 05, 2013 15:47 |  #640

i-G12 wrote in post #16094354 (external link)

Presently using a T4i. So from what we know, what would I be gaining by going to the 70D?

I realize it's up in the air whether or not there is increased ISO quality...I'd really like some of that.

http://www.dpreview.co​m …50d&products=ca​non_eos70d (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,829 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Jul 05, 2013 16:00 |  #641

I suspect the 70D will be a worthy successor to the 60D (but more for those upgrading from a rebel) but 7D owners wouldn't benefit. Sure the 70D might (and I do mean "might") be better at video and/or live view than the 7D but as has been repeatedly stated, it's highly unlikely the 70D will approach the 7D's AF system, even though it's 4 year old technology, plus or minus a few months.

I doubt I'll upgrade from my 60D to the 70D... but I just might buy the 7D2 if and when it comes out.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,228 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 05, 2013 16:09 |  #642

Having video available is nice and as pointed out, it adds little to the cost of the body. My main gripe is that nearly all of the innovation is going into video and the still shooters especially those shooting raw, are being totally ignored.

I completely agree, GJL.

As a still photographer, all I care about (with regards to improvements in a 1.6 crop body) are better dynamic range and much, much less noise grain in RAW files, compared to the preceding 1.6 crop models. WIFI, video focusing improvements, live view, etc, do me no good whatsoever.

Hopefully this new 70D is at least a full stop better when it comes to noise grain in dark, out-of-focus areas of the frame. If that is the case, then upgrading will be a no-brainer for me.

The 1.6 crop format fits my shooting style much better than the full frame sensors do, and I hope that we now finally have a 1.6 crop body that has vastly improved ISO capabilities in RAW files.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

mpix345
Goldmember
2,849 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 05, 2013 16:14 |  #643

i-G12 wrote in post #16094354 (external link)

My perception is that you will get camcorder-like AF in video, very advanced capability to shoot stills in Live View mode, AF that is closer to the 7D than the 60D, improved (maybe significatly) JPEG output, same raw output, wifi and MFA + some other bells and whistles.

I think you are hitting the nail on the head with regard to ISO performance, and I'll add DR in there as well. If those areas are even slight improvements over the 7D/60D/T4i then it will be much easier (for me, at least) to justify the 70D.

So I'm waiting for other folks to get hands on this camera, but honestly my expectations are not high. If the 70D was bringing improvements in ISO and DR I can't imagine they wouldn't have touted somehow. We'll see.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,598 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 05, 2013 16:38 |  #644

I see your points re the focus on Video upgrading.. and I agree it likely has detracted from Canon's (and other manufacturers) still photo development.

I feel this is likely a temporary thing, "This too shall pass"

It's currently a growth market, and part of what is driving sales. It will level off, the inclusion of video will just be normal, and then the development will likely go back to feeling more even.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

i-G12
Wat?
1,716 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 05, 2013 19:16 |  #645

mpix345 wrote in post #16094465 (external link)
My perception is that you will get camcorder-like AF in video, very advanced capability to shoot stills in Live View mode, AF that is closer to the 7D than the 60D, improved (maybe significatly) JPEG output, same raw output, wifi and MFA + some other bells and whistles.

I think you are hitting the nail on the head with regard to ISO performance, and I'll add DR in there as well. If those areas are even slight improvements over the 7D/60D/T4i then it will be much easier (for me, at least) to justify the 70D.

So I'm waiting for other folks to get hands on this camera, but honestly my expectations are not high. If the 70D was bringing improvements in ISO and DR I can't imagine they wouldn't have touted somehow. We'll see.

Kind of where I'm at. Can't even begin to know for sure until people have their hands on it. If ISO performance is the same as the T4i doesn't make much sense to me. Improved video (focusing) is nice but not a must have for me.

sponsored links

281,731 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon EOS 70D officially announced!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.