Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Jun 2013 (Thursday) 21:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Are you a T2i user planning to upgrade to 70D? I will!

jocau
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 29, 2013 11:18 |  #16

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #16075547 (external link)
I see what you're saying Jocau, and different photographers have different needs from their camera. For me the 6D does everything I want it to and a bit more. I honestly think the images from my 6D look better not just from the shallower DOF, but because of how it shows lenses "weaknesses" (soft corners, vignettin), I feel shots from my 6D (especially when using vintage primes) just have a pop that I can't acheive with my M, I also spend much less time processing the RAW files from the 6D.

That said, my M is still a fantastic camera and produces truly great pictures, it definitely still has a place with me, I just wouldn't want to be limited by shooting exclusively on crop again.

Try putting a Zeiss lens on the EOS M using the adapter for EF lenses. The micro-contrast of Zeiss lenses will make your images "pop" more. ;)
Oh and a female friend of mine just texted me a few times which camera she had to buy (she also gave me a budget). For her, a CSC was the best option, so I recommended her the EOS M or any other CSC (like e.g. a NEX). She was eventually going for a NEX or the EOS M and half an hour later she texted me back to say she ordered the EOS M. The guy at the store told her the EOS M was a better choice than the NEX.

Stanjk3 wrote in post #16075573 (external link)
Of course they will finally announce the 70D just a few days after I buy a used 50D. Haven't even had a chance to use it yet as I don't have any CF cards.

Well, if you had followed the rumors, you would have known it was coming. ;)

550D | EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | LumoPro LP180 | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP | ONA Bowery (black, non-leather) (external link)

sponsored links
Stanjk3
484 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 29, 2013 11:35 |  #17

jocau wrote in post #16075641 (external link)

Last I saw it was "July." I'm shooting a wedding on 7/26, so I wanted to have a couple weeks to get familiar with the camera. Only paid $450, and it has <3000 clicks on the shutter. I really wanted to buy a 6D, but $450 is more affordable than $2500.

My Flickr page (external link) 5D Mark III, Canon 24-105mm f4 L, 580 EXII;
Powershot S95 | Rebel T2i(550D), 18-55mm IS, 55-250mm IS, Canon 50mm f1.4, Sigma 17-50 f2.8, Metz 50 AF-1

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,459 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jun 29, 2013 11:42 |  #18

jocau wrote in post #16075641 (external link)
Try putting a Zeiss lens on the EOS M using the adapter for EF lenses. The micro-contrast of Zeiss lenses will make your images "pop" more. ;)
Oh and a female friend of mine just texted me a few times which camera she had to buy (she also gave me a budget). For her, a CSC was the best option, so I recommended her the EOS M or any other CSC (like e.g. a NEX). She was eventually going for a NEX or the EOS M and half an hour later she texted me back to say she ordered the EOS M. The guy at the store told her the EOS M was a better choice than the NEX.

I know about Zeiss lenses pop, but you're only furthering my point ;)

For example, right now my favorite FL is 50mm, and when shooting FF I have oodles of options at that FL. My favorite lens right now is my Yashica ML 50/1.4 (which is very similar to the Zeiss version from what I've read), there isn't any option for $100 (which is what this lens cost me) available on my EOS M. The same can be said when you up the price into higher cost lenes.

Anyway, I'm about to upload a bunch of pics to my Flickr from my EOS M and Helios 44-4, so you can see that I still love crop sensors too, just FF a bit more ;)

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

RickFL
THREAD ­ STARTER
378 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 05, 2013 12:39 |  #19

I am here to say that I guess I am a liar. It wasn't on purpose however. :) I was fully convinced I was going to buy the 70D. And maybe I still will... but I found a crazy good deal on a 6D with the 24-105L lens plus printer that I could not pass up. :) It will be in my hands next week!

I have some reservations about losing the crop factor for my birding but given that I do not specialize in that area, I am eager to move to full frame for the first time!

6D gripped :: 17-40L :: 135L :: 70-200 f/2.8L II IS :: Tokina 24-70 f/2.8 :: 50 f/1.4 :: CL 360 (x 2)
My website: rickalonzophoto.com (external link)
My Instagram @sosofreshnsoclean (external link)

cepaw
133 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 05, 2013 12:53 |  #20

I will be upgrading from a T2i. The 70d on paper is better in every way. Better af, huge leap there. New sensor claims a new bench mark with hi iso images. That would be enough to upgrade. Add the swivel. Touch screen, mfa, wifi, thumb wheel, wireless flash, fps, huge improvement in live view/video af,silent shutter, no need to go on. It's a huge upgrade in every way. Finally a camera I can justify buying.

www.michaelrhodesphoto​graphy.com (external link)

RickFL
THREAD ­ STARTER
378 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 05, 2013 14:16 as a reply to  @ cepaw's post |  #21

Yeah, the 70D should be a great camera. I figure if the 6D disappoints me or doesn't meet my needs well, I can sell it and switch to the 70D without any real financial hit based on the deal I got. In 2-3 months we will all know the real world results with the 70D and I will know whether the 6D was the right move for me, so I really can't lose.

6D gripped :: 17-40L :: 135L :: 70-200 f/2.8L II IS :: Tokina 24-70 f/2.8 :: 50 f/1.4 :: CL 360 (x 2)
My website: rickalonzophoto.com (external link)
My Instagram @sosofreshnsoclean (external link)

cab ­ ny
101 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jul 05, 2013 23:43 |  #22

need to hear the actual hands on opinion first before i decide

MissFire
178 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 06, 2013 01:19 as a reply to  @ cab ny's post |  #23

I don't have a T2i, but I do own a T1i, and I'm planning on upgrading!

Lynn
Canon 70D | 10-22 USM | 17-55 f2.8 IS USM | 55-250 IS | 100 f2.8L macro | 430ex III-RT flash | and all my husbands gear!

iowajim
515 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 06, 2013 06:13 |  #24

Heck yes! My T2i is a great camera, served me well for, has it been three years now? 26k photos, hours of video. But going from 1 cross point focus point to 19 ought to help my focus accuracy. Video focus would be soooo nice. 7 frames a second will help catch the action shots. All on an SD card to boot.

Deal breakers? ISO performance- if I don't get a significant boost in actual high iso noise performance, I may wait for the 80d or maybe look to FF. Also, 3rd party lens compatibility with the new focus system - many Canon lenses are not fully compatible with it.

Jim, in Iowa
80D / T2i / Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 / Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 / Canon 24-105 f4 / Tamron SP VC 70-200mm f2.8 / Sigma 150-600mm C

artyH
Goldmember
2,096 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 06, 2013 09:49 |  #25

I have a T2i and 60D. AF is better on the 60D but I like the small size of the T2i. I plan to wait for reviews before deciding what to do for an upgrade. If the 70D has visible advantages in image quality and ISO performance, I will look very closely in that direction. I might want micro adjust, but not enough to shell out > $1200 for that feature, and I don't really care about the wifi.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,326 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 06, 2013 23:24 |  #26

RickFL wrote in post #16093920 (external link)
I am here to say that I guess I am a liar. It wasn't on purpose however. :) I was fully convinced I was going to buy the 70D. And maybe I still will... but I found a crazy good deal on a 6D with the 24-105L lens plus printer that I could not pass up. :) It will be in my hands next week!

RickFL wrote in post #16094208 (external link)
Yeah, the 70D should be a great camera. I figure if the 6D disappoints me or doesn't meet my needs well, I can sell it and switch to the 70D without any real financial hit based on the deal I got. In 2-3 months we will all know the real world results with the 70D and I will know whether the 6D was the right move for me, so I really can't lose.

exactly.

i've been plotting my course for half a year. i had hoped the T5i would offer 2 stops better ISO performance than my XSi, nope.

Then i waited it out for the 70D.

i really like the video features of the 70D but I'm not yet marketing myself as a videographer. I fully expect to keep the 6D for years and somewhere along the way pick up a better video capable DSLR, i'm also a little concerned with the potential poor high iso performance with the 70D.

the deal on the 6D was just too good to pass up, and i didn't want to wait a few months to see what the 70D would do with stills.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

madasax
509 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 12, 2013 23:06 |  #27

I love my t2i and with a grip it feels much better in my hands. That being said I feel myself wanting just a little more in terms of FPS and i do like the back "wheel" style over the buttons of the 550D.

Talked with a buddy who does alot of "pro" photography who just got a 6D - said he was very impressed. This coming from a guy who shoots plenty of 5d3's - 1Dx's and stuff for work.

I would love to fund a 6D - or even a 70D, guess time will tell!

Current Gear: 70D - Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6 - 24 2.8stm - 50 1.8 stm -

Reider
146 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 14, 2013 05:12 |  #28

I really like the new technology in the 70d, but I don't think I'll be getting one. I'm waiting to see what the 7d MkII looks like. If I don't upgrade to a 7d MKII, I"ll have to wait until the new technology from the 70d is in a FF camera, then decide. A FF camera with the 70-200 f/2.8L II IS lens (or any other L lens) would be sick.

I really like my t2i, it's a great camera, but I could definitely use better FPS, AF (pics and video) system etc..

Canon 550D T2i / 15-85mm USM IS / 18-55mm IS / 55-250mm IS

jocau
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 14, 2013 06:06 |  #29

Reider wrote in post #16118594 (external link)
I really like the new technology in the 70d, but I don't think I'll be getting one. I'm waiting to see what the 7d MkII looks like. If I don't upgrade to a 7d MKII, I"ll have to wait until the new technology from the 70d is in a FF camera, then decide. A FF camera with the 70-200 f/2.8L II IS lens (or any other L lens) would be sick.

I really like my t2i, it's a great camera, but I could definitely use better FPS, AF (pics and video) system etc..

Almost the same story for me. I think they've put as much technology as possible in the 70D. Impressive specifications for the price. But I really don't like the swivel screen and the fact that they have left out the "Spot AF" mode (maybe they will enable this via a firmware upgrade when the 7D2 is out so the 7D sales won't get hurt too much by the 70D sales for now?). I'm mainly looking at the 5D3 (love its AF system, hate its price) and looking out for the specs of the 7D2 with the 6D and 70D being outsiders. I want a new DSLR because I don't like the ergonomics of my 550D/T2i (it's too small for my hands) and I also don't like its AF system (when situations become a bit challenging only the center AF point works fine).

550D | EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | LumoPro LP180 | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP | ONA Bowery (black, non-leather) (external link)

romanv
223 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 14, 2013 07:01 |  #30

jocau wrote in post #16118659 (external link)
But I really don't like the swivel screen

What dont you like about it exactly?

It doesnt swivel around randomly by itself, if you leave it in the normal position it's just like having a fixed screen.

Chances are you wont though, because it's bloody handy and it sucks going back to a camera without one.

sponsored links

7,086 views & 0 likes for this thread
Are you a T2i user planning to upgrade to 70D? I will!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.