Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Jul 2013 (Monday) 23:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EOS 70D officially announced!

ElectronGuru
427 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 06, 2013 01:45 |  #661

jorkata wrote in post #16095421 (external link)
So, imagine this whole bulky thing above replaced by a single chip - offering not 61 but 10,061 AF points (or more).

Yes, they will do it for sure.

Perhaps over time as the tech matures, but wow. Nice vision!

"Light is the paint, lenses are brush, sensors are the canvas"
6D | 100L Macro | 50L | 24L TSE
Builder of custom flashlights, OVEREADY.com (external link)

sponsored links
kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 06, 2013 01:49 |  #662

So, imagine this whole bulky thing above replaced by a single chip - offering not 61 but 10,061 AF points (or more).

Because they can manufacture the chips cheaply - but still charge us a premium for the extra 10,000 AF points :mrgreen: .

Actually, that's a good point.

You could still accomplish roughly the same thing even if you have the mirror in place for the viewfinder, because the mirror is already partially transparent. So instead of there being a submirror that directs the light to a dedicated autofocus sensor, this would instead allow that light straight back to the sensor itself.

Oh, that could work brilliantly.

It means, of course, that you'd have to dispense with the mechanical shutter, something that I'm sure Canon has no problem with. :D

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

lsquare
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 06, 2013 03:47 |  #663

Is it true that the Canon 70D can't do AEB with a difference of +/-1 EV? I just checked DPR and they list the specs as ±3 (2, 3, 5, 7 frames at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps). If so it'll be pretty disappointing not to be able to take 5-7 frames with a difference of 1 EV!

andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 06, 2013 04:25 |  #664

MilesW wrote in post #16095170 (external link)
I want to up grade from my 20D but to be honest I have no use for the Video features now being dumped on the public. I feel I am paying for something I have no need for where I could be putting that extra cost into a better product.

Your dream upgrade is the 5Dc then. It's cheap.

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,191 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jul 06, 2013 05:25 |  #665

lsquare wrote in post #16095584 (external link)
Is it true that the Canon 70D can't do AEB with a difference of +/-1 EV? I just checked DPR and they list the specs as ±3 (2, 3, 5, 7 frames at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps). If so it'll be pretty disappointing not to be able to take 5-7 frames with a difference of 1 EV!

The plus/minus 3 is the stop variance, in increments of 1/2 or 1/3 stops...

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,191 posts
Joined May 2002

Jul 06, 2013 05:30 |  #666

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #16095400 (external link)
"long before" is a bit of hyperbole here IMHO.

It was a direct line from the first Canon DSLR with Live view, (1D3 in Feb 2007) to the next logical step in a little over a year, the 5D2 in September 2008.

As soon as the 1D3 was released there was talk about the possibility of using Live view for Video.
(for the record, 40D was announced August of 2007)

And it actually existed long before that, all canon did was bring over point&shoot tech into the DSLR package.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 06, 2013 05:36 |  #667

lsquare wrote in post #16095584 (external link)

Er, 7 frames at 1/3 EV steps gives you.....?

And 5 frames at 1/2 EV stops....?

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

_igi
262 posts
Joined May 2011

Jul 06, 2013 05:40 |  #668

I'm quite interested in it's video capabilities, mostly with low light performance, and well, autofocus.

The sample movie looks awesome, with AF tracking, looks like we don't need to have follow focus anymore. It's a really cool feature, i'm definetly buying 70D + 24/1.4L with steadycam for dynamic scenes. The way 6D with 50L works off the tripod really pisses me off (it may produce stunning effects, but it's just a little bit too complicated).

Hope the new sensor will be better cause it was the weakest point of 60D.

It's also really nice as second camera to use with 6D as it has exactly the same pixel count, the same ergonomics, batteries, different matrix and well, better autofocus / burst mode :-)

1DsIII x2 | 1DIV | TS-E17/4L | TS-E 24/3.5LII | 24L | 35L | 50L | 100L | 135L | 28-70/2.8L | 100-400L

lsquare
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 06, 2013 05:55 |  #669

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16095672 (external link)
The plus/minus 3 is the stop variance, in increments of 1/2 or 1/3 stops...

hollis_f wrote in post #16095683 (external link)
Er, 7 frames at 1/3 EV steps gives you.....?

And 5 frames at 1/2 EV stops....?

LOL! Sorry boys. :oops:

travisvwright
Goldmember
2,040 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Jul 06, 2013 07:08 |  #670

Is there a normal time frame when raw images would be expected after an announcement like this? I'm pretty much sold but I'd like to at least pretend I care more about IQ than bells and whistles.

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, T3i, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,105 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 06, 2013 08:16 |  #671

travisvwright wrote in post #16095784 (external link)
Is there a normal time frame when raw images would be expected after an announcement like this? I'm pretty much sold but I'd like to at least pretend I care more about IQ than bells and whistles.

No fixed time frame but usually when the camera is released and test images are posted. Unless there has been a real improvement to raw images. Then I would suspect that Canon would like to get some out there.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

dnauer
527 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 06, 2013 08:22 |  #672

ElectronGuru wrote in post #16095353 (external link)
Btw, I replaced my 20D with a 7D. My favorite feature was (and remained) the sensor cleaner, but live view (for critical focus, etc) quickly became central to my work flow. Live view is essentially video-without-recording and probably wouldn't exist without the drive for video.

Both of those were developed first on the 40D and adapted on the 7D :-)

EDIT: For the XXD series -- sorry -- after reading through the chain, as does happen the 1D series has features that trickle down. But I remember the 7D coming out after I had the 40D and both of those features were included there. Not sure what Canon camera INTRODUCED the sensor cleaning feature, but the 40D was the first XXD with it. Looks like the 70D autofocus may trickle up though (END EDIT)

Canon_Lover
Goldmember
2,695 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 06, 2013 08:31 |  #673

Advanced video AF does widen the appeal of the 70D - thus increasing sales and reducing cost, which was the original point.

Also, it's premature to assume that the dual-pixel AF is useless for stills. Just the opposite.

What people don't seem to realize is that the dual-pixel AF will (soon?) replace the AF module in a DSLR.

The AF module is a set of miniature lenses plus an AF sensor - working together to do phase detection.
Here's the 1DX AF module, for example:

QUOTED IMAGE

Well, a sensor with dual-pixel AF is the exact same thing - except that the miniature lenses of the AF module are located on the chip itself, where they are known as microlenses.

In other words, a sensor with dual-pixel AF is essentially an AF-module-on-a-chip.

Because they can manufacture the chips cheaply - but still charge us a premium for the extra 10,000 AF points :mrgreen: .

As I mentioned before (and no one seems to care), the sample rate from the image sensor is likely only 60Hz and the AF module samples several thousand Hz.

Unless the new image sensor can sample much faster than previously allowed, it won't be replacing the AF module for good quite yet.

The good news is that the camera would always be dialed perfectly to zero in AF accuracy. Only lenses would need calibration.

My 500PX (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,191 posts
Joined May 2002

Jul 06, 2013 09:37 |  #674

Perhaps Canon could implement an auto-MFA function with this then, if we cannot use it for full-time AF.

The camera could very, very easily be put into a mode where you put a special target on a wall some distance out, and select a function. It would then run through 5 iterations of phase detection AF, then flip to dual pixel AF and see how far off the two lens values were for the two modes, and average the 5 runs.

It would eliminate the need for my Focus Genie I sell, and all the other gadgets/tools in the marketplace. Once dual pixel AF was able to be used for still photography through the viewfinder, then no more need for MFA. Perhaps ML could implement this.

-MasterChief-
- B E L I E V E -
3,188 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 06, 2013 09:53 |  #675

dual pixel AF + phase detect = winner! perhaps implement a clone of Sony's transluscent mirror technology? http://store.sony.com …-DSLRs/en/c/S_SLT_Camer​as (external link)

sponsored links

284,751 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon EOS 70D officially announced!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.