Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
Thread started 04 Jul 2013 (Thursday) 01:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN Book volume 4 is here!

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 09, 2013 04:58 |  #61

Strangely, I've just received an email out of the blue telling me to expect delivery at 6pm tomorrow evening. Its already been shipped from Holland to Germany. Oddly, there seem to be different systems in place in different parts of the world.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

sponsored links
Pepe ­ Guitarra
800 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 09, 2013 10:44 |  #62

Bill Boehme wrote in post #16103916 (external link)
This project started before you were a member so that is why you hadn't heard of it. The gestation period for volume 4 was considerably longer than previous volumes, but it is sort of amazing that such a project can happen at all considering that the workers are all volunteers and that they are located all over the world. While there was a small amount of phone communication, 99.94% is written email and PM.

That will be proabably the best photography book in my collection. BTW, I am relatively new to Canon DSLR, but go back few years with Spotmatic, Pentax and Canon AE1 in my college years (long time ago!)

It's not a photo until you print it! :cool:
Click here (external link), this is myflickr (external link) gallery

Bill ­ Boehme
THREAD ­ STARTER
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 09, 2013 19:03 as a reply to  @ Pepe Guitarra's post |  #63

Woo-hoo! My books were shipped today from St. Louis, MO. Anybody in that area see a FedEx Ground truck, tell them to pick up the pace. ;)

BTW, I have temporarily increased the number of preview pages for the Full Edition to 86 of the 204 pages. Except for the G&N section, the Family Friendly Edition is the same.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

dilorenzo1954
Cream of the Crop
5,579 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 10, 2013 06:17 |  #64

Bill Boehme wrote in post #16106128 (external link)
Woo-hoo! My books were shipped today from St. Louis, MO. Anybody in that area see a FedEx Ground truck, tell them to pick up the pace. ;)

BTW, I have temporarily increased the number of preview pages for the Full Edition to 86 of the 204 pages. Except for the G&N section, the Family Friendly Edition is the same.

Mine is coming today! I'll have to try and sneak out of work early...;)

Ship (P/U) date :
Tues 7/09/2013

Saint Louis, MO
US

IMAGE: https://www.fedex.com/fedextrack/images/fedex-progress-bar-details-in-transit.png
In transit
Departed FedEx location
CHAMPAIGN, IL

Estimated delivery :
Wed 7/10/2013

Chicago, IL
US

Ed

“A photograph is usually looked at- seldom looked into.” ~Ansel Adams

Menelaus
Goldmember
1,271 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 10, 2013 08:31 |  #65

Thursday for me.

Big thanks to everyone involved for putting the project to bed and getting it done!

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 10, 2013 10:51 |  #66

Got mine this morning!

Great job to everyone who worked on the production. Many thanks.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Bill ­ Boehme
THREAD ­ STARTER
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 10, 2013 11:14 |  #67

Lowner wrote in post #16107823 (external link)
Got mine this morning!

How is the print quality?

Mine is a few miles closer -- in Lenexa, Kansas, now. I wish that mule train would pick up the pace.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.

dilorenzo1954
Cream of the Crop
5,579 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 10, 2013 11:15 |  #68

Lowner wrote in post #16107823 (external link)
Got mine this morning!

We wanted to make sure you got one of the first off the press because you were so patient...:lol:
Glad you are pleased with the final product.

Ed

“A photograph is usually looked at- seldom looked into.” ~Ansel Adams

tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
20,886 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2004

Jul 10, 2013 11:17 |  #69

dilorenzo1954 wrote in post #16107873 (external link)
We wanted to make sure you got one of the first off the press because you were so patient...:lol:

bw!

EDITING OF MY PHOTOS IS NOT ALLOWED

Bill ­ Boehme
THREAD ­ STARTER
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 10, 2013 11:32 |  #70

dilorenzo1954 wrote in post #16107873 (external link)
Glad you are pleased with the final product.

Bwahaha! Good one, Ed. :lol:

tommykjensen wrote in post #16107876 (external link)
bw!

+1

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 10, 2013 14:34 |  #71

Mine shipped today, expected delivery is July 19 (which has always been the case since I placed the order).

Joel

Bill ­ Boehme
THREAD ­ STARTER
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 10, 2013 15:45 |  #72

joeblack2022 wrote in post #16108414 (external link)
Mine shipped today, expected delivery is July 19 (which has always been the case since I placed the order).

Are you looking at the site of FedEx, UPS, USPS, Pony Express, or whoever is the shipper? Blurb just gives the worst case scenario and does not provide updates from the shipper. My date was originally the nineteenth, but is now being shown as the eleventh (tomorrow) as shown below:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

I don't expect any surprises since I have been staring at these pages for several months on my monitor. Even so, I'm waiting with "baited" breath (thanks to Fancy Feast Ocean Whitefish).

Jason ­ C
Goldmember
4,732 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 10, 2013 21:31 |  #73

Thank you book 4 team, for trudging an often difficult path.

Jason

Equipment & Feedback
"I am not interested in shooting new things-I am interested to see things new"--Ernst Haas

ChrisGorabPhotography
Goldmember
1,572 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 11, 2013 07:24 as a reply to  @ Jason C's post |  #74

Ordered with delivery by the 19th, and it's on the truck for today. Over 3 years' worth of anticipation finally coming to fruition. Looking forward to it. And thanks for everyone's contributions.

-Chris (also formally known as "imtrashed" if searching feedback thread)
GEAR LIST/FEEDBACK

Bill ­ Boehme
THREAD ­ STARTER
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 11, 2013 08:33 |  #75

ChrisGorabPhotography wrote in post #16110393 (external link)
Ordered with delivery by the 19th, and it's on the truck for today. Over 3 years' worth of anticipation finally coming to fruition. Looking forward to it. And thanks for everyone's contributions.

Maybe our books are on the same truck (depending on delivery route size) ;)

I did some checking on the timeline of events. The open voting had just finished and the Image Managers compiled the lists of votes to see which images had been selected by the members who voted. The voting turnout was slow so the voting deadline had been extended to urge members to vote. Setting up polls by the Image Manages so that the Panel Members could vote to select additional images for publication was just getting underway at this time three years ago. After that, the Image Managers needed to post the final chosen images to a gallery on SmugMug. Once that was completed, the Page Assemblers began the work of matching written data with images and started on the page layout process later in the year.

Looking back, I believe that I understand why the voting process was slow with low participation. It was rather cumbersome and required the voter to go to SmugMug and look over the images for a particular section, write down the image numbers that they wished to vote for, go back to the polls on POTN and enter their votes, then go back to SmugMug to repeat the process for the next section, etc. Since there was close to a thousand eligible submissions, it took a considerable length of time to vote in all the polls ... perhaps hours. Maybe the new forum software will be flexible enough to streamline the process if anyone ever decides to go for another volume. I have thought about taking a sabbatical for a few months to write down some of the lessons learned for anybody wanting to try this in the future.

sponsored links

24,044 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN Book volume 4 is here!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.