Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 26 Jun 2013 (Wednesday) 11:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tripod recommendations

6802steven
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 26, 2013 11:14 |  #1

Hi I'm going to buy my first tripod can you guys recommend me on a full set up, don't really want to spend more than about £80 also I travel abroad quit a lot so small enuf to go in a suitcase. My camera is a canon 450d 18-200 lense.

sponsored links
ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 26, 2013 19:58 |  #2

Start here: LINK

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Mahgnillig
206 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 28, 2013 11:50 |  #3

A lot of people are going to tell you that you get what you pay for and shouldn't buy a cheap tripod. They are correct. But in a lot of cases having ANY tripod is better than having no tripod at all. I bought a cheapo tripod as my first tripod just to see if I would actually use and carry one before dropping $$$ on a good one.

I bought a Dolica AX620B100 from Amazon, because they have a decent return policy. I'm glad I did because the plate broke on the second outing! I sent it back for a new one, which I haven't had any problems with as far as stuff breaking... it has been in snow, sand, mud and water with no issues. I would say this is one of the better cheapo tripods if you just want one to try out and see if you will actually use it. However, if you are serious about long exposure landscapes or need something that is going to be really stable, save your money and get something good from the start.

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 28, 2013 15:26 |  #4

I would get a Manfrotto aluminum tripod and 496 head. That's the best bang for the buck (pound in your case). It's heavy, but is bulletproof and will last a lifetime.

You can always sell it second hand if you want to upgrade.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

dbeugel
523 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 28, 2013 16:36 as a reply to  @ tvphotog's post |  #5

Manfrotto 055XPROB

Might only be £130 but it's a beast. Very good reputation and will last a lifetime.

I own a DSLR, some lenses and some lights.

jalleva
41 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 08, 2013 01:11 as a reply to  @ dbeugel's post |  #6

That tripod is so heavy. I regret buying it, but I hike a lot.

TLN
284 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 08, 2013 04:10 |  #7

Better get a light tripod, and take it with you, then get a strudy, well-made manfrotto and left if at home, because it's heavy

doidinho
Goldmember
3,352 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 08, 2013 08:12 as a reply to  @ TLN's post |  #8

My buddy has this tripod which is in your price range.

http://www.amazon.com/​gp/aw/d/B002SXMROY (external link)

As mentioned, you get what you pay for; however, I was actually surprised by the quality of the kit. He gets some great shots with it for sure. It may be a little small for the 200mm end of your lens, so you may want to check the next size up.

All I the recent stuff on Howards site was shot which the Induro.

http://www.howard-snyder.com/ (external link)

Robert McCadden
My Flickr (external link)
MM (external link)
5DMKII, Rebel xti, 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40.

Photo123abc
236 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 09, 2013 11:34 |  #9

Slik mini sprint pro II is my recommendation, I have one too, and it fits your price range. If youre going to buy a good, sturdy tripod, carbon fiber is travellers choise because it lightweight

Also I would concider a monopod / carbon fiber monopod for travelling, lighter and more compact solution.

You are what you eat - I dont remember eating a photographer.

sponsored links

1,359 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tripod recommendations
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.