Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 09 Jul 2013 (Tuesday) 11:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Learning manual.....

Delekatala
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 09, 2013 11:51 |  #1

I am very intimidated posting here, because everyone seems to be so good at photography, but I need people to talk to about it, no one here does.

OK, this is my fourth attempt to "get it" with manual mode. This time I really feel like something clicked, I am using the book understanding exposure. So I made a pact to use manual mode no matter what I am doing, till I get it down.

So today while giving my kiddies a bath I put my point and shoot (Canon powershot sx20 is) in manual to practice, and was having a hard time, so I put it in P mode to see what the camera chose. Then I put it back in manual and attempted to recreate that, which worked (needed the flash). But this is how my photo came out! Can anyone tell me why it is blue. I did a custom white balance on the white wall......

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/delekatala/9249​889916/ (external link)

sponsored links
HiepBuiPhotography
Goldmember
1,612 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 09, 2013 11:55 |  #2

It's blue cause you did a custom white balance on the wall but the light source is the flash. WB should be set to flash or something close to that. Around 7-8k temperature I believe.

Hiep Bui Photography | Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

Hannya
Goldmember
1,062 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 09, 2013 13:25 |  #3

Sometimes doing 'everything' manual is a recipe for disaster. The cameras are pretty smart these days, so you might next time just set the white balance to AWB. Custom wb obviously was not the right thing to do. Stick it in P mode and concentrate on your composition and posing. You have a cute subject.

“Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.” ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Sports Pics (external link)

Delekatala
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 09, 2013 14:03 |  #4

HiepBuiPhotography wrote in post #16105004 (external link)
It's blue cause you did a custom white balance on the wall but the light source is the flash. WB should be set to flash or something close to that. Around 7-8k temperature I believe.

SO, when using the flash dont bother with custom white balance?

Hannya wrote in post #16105268 (external link)
Sometimes doing 'everything' manual is a recipe for disaster. The cameras are pretty smart these days, so you might next time just set the white balance to AWB. Custom wb obviously was not the right thing to do. Stick it in P mode and concentrate on your composition and posing. You have a cute subject.

Well the composition is bad because I was only trying to practice manual mode. I have been working on composition and lighting for years, I have been a photography newbie for ten years now, Its sad. But I can do amazing things on P mode, LMAO. But I really have reached a limit, where I feel I need to learn manual to move further. Here are some of my better photos.... I have 5 cute subjects....LOL.

http://i3.photobucket.​com …5/delekatala/IM​G_9394.jpg (external link)
http://i3.photobucket.​com …5/delekatala/IM​G_4511.jpg (external link)
http://i3.photobucket.​com …la/Alexander/DS​C03119.jpg (external link)

And the favorite photo i think i have ever taken.
http://i3.photobucket.​com …tala/Lillian/IM​G_8011.jpg (external link)

HiepBuiPhotography
Goldmember
1,612 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 09, 2013 14:28 |  #5

Delekatala wrote in post #16105368 (external link)

Well the composition is bad because I was only trying to practice manual mode. I have been working on composition and lighting for years, I have been a photography newbie for ten years now, Its sad. But I can do amazing things on P mode, LMAO. But I really have reached a limit, where I feel I need to learn manual to move further. Here are some of my better photos.... I have 5 cute subjects....LOL.

You can use custom white balance when using flash if you want, but you have to know what you're doing. Most of the time, the auto white balance will do the trick for you. However, it might be too warm or cool, depending on your taste. If that's the case, you can set your own white balance.

To be honest, P, M, Av, Tv, etc are all just tools. You have to understand what the benefits are using these modes in order to "move further". Trying to learn manual blindly will not help you "move further".

Hiep Bui Photography | Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

Unrising ­ Muffin
133 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 09, 2013 17:06 |  #6

You might want to do a smooth transition by learning the Aperture Priority (Av) and Shutter Speed (Tv) modes first before going to manual mode. This will get you to understand how the aperture interacts with the shutter speed. When you get comfortable with this, throw in manual ISO selection instead of leaving it on auto, this will get you to understand the interaction of the not-so-holy-trinity of exposure. Once you're comfortable with these, you would be ready to move to full manual. Or you can do like I did: bang your head on a wall for a year or so, and get an OMG! moment where it finally clicks.

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 09, 2013 20:51 as a reply to  @ Unrising Muffin's post |  #7

I don't know your camera...if you have a live view that exhibits a histogram, simply enter two of the three camera settings (SS, f/stop, ISO) and use the third one to move the histogram to just shy of touching the right edge.
It's called "exposing to the right"...no big deal. ;)

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

TLMair
120 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jul 09, 2013 21:09 |  #8

Do you have a good light meter?
If you really want to learn manual mode you need a good light meter, before digital I shot everything in manual because that is all I had, now I do most of my shooting in manual mode, to be honest with you I don't really think you need to know the other settings before jumping into manual mode, and you can get fantastic results using manual mode because you are in control of everything.
I think asking questions is a great way to get started!!!
That said I do use auto white balance a lot, unless I am shooting portraits, or weddings then I use an 18% gray card, in the light that I will be using for the work.

Terry
www.tlmair.com (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,866 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jul 09, 2013 22:01 |  #9

Delekatala wrote in post #16105368 (external link)

The reason that your image is blue is because you used existing light & then didn't use existing light for the shots. You could use a CWB, but you would need to use the flash to light the image for the CWB if you're going to use flash for the following images.

...so I put it in P mode to see what the camera chose.

To take some of the mystery out of settings, look at these:

The SLR Camera Simulator (external link)

For a good starting point for exposure without flash, first set the f-stop OR shutter speed you need for the effect you want. Then the other parameter: shutter speed or f-stop. Then adjust the ISO.
Need an exposure crutch?
Why?
Post #47

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Unrising ­ Muffin
133 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 09, 2013 22:46 |  #10

Wow, this is actually quite a good little app! Thanks for posting the link bw!

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,401 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 10, 2013 00:19 |  #11

Not being a fan of AWB I would suggest you at least use a camera WB setting to match the lighting conditions.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

Delekatala
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 10, 2013 05:38 as a reply to  @ Titus213's post |  #12

Thank you for the replies! I am learning a lot! I do not have a light meter, except the ones on my cameras.

I will switch to AWB for now, perhaps I am making it to complicated! It is fun to experiment though.

Delekatala
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 10, 2013 05:41 |  #13

PhotosGuy wrote in post #16106513 (external link)
The reason that your image is blue is because you used existing light & then didn't use existing light for the shots. You could use a CWB, but you would need to use the flash to light the image for the CWB if you're going to use flash for the following images.

To take some of the mystery out of settings, look at these:

The SLR Camera Simulator (external link)

For a good starting point for exposure without flash, first set the f-stop OR shutter speed you need for the effect you want. Then the other parameter: shutter speed or f-stop. Then adjust the ISO.
Need an exposure crutch?
Why?
Post #47

This is GREAT information, thank you!

PhotosGuy
75,866 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jul 10, 2013 09:52 |  #14

Delekatala wrote in post #16107166 (external link)
I will switch to AWB for now, perhaps I am making it to complicated! It is fun to experiment though.

I never trust AWB under artificial lighting. Gray card: Why your meter may be lying to you!
Notice that the very last exposure in the 2nd group of images was of a gray card.

Some people swear that AWB is OK outdoors, but Wilt ran a test in sunlight & found that the color temp ran from 4424K thru 5895K.
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=12259856&po​stcount=11
IMO, not "close enough for government work"?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

sirquack
Goldmember
2,563 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Jul 10, 2013 19:30 |  #15

Were you shooting the image in RAW? If so, you can change the white balance in your photo editing software to any of the different white balance settings.
It is one the main reasons that I always shoot in RAW. I also follow Bryan Peterson's suggestion and shoot everything in the Cloudy WB setting. It works most of the time and again, since I shoot in RAW, I can make adjustments after the fact.
If you had image editing turned on, I could throw it in light room and adjust even the JPG and show you what I mean.

Name is Ron.
Bodies - 6D/5D3/7D2-Gripped
Lenses - Canon 17-40 F4/24-70 F2.8 II/85 F1.8/Canon 70-200 F2.8 II/F4/Sigma 30 DC/Tamron 150-600
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,166 views & 0 likes for this thread
Learning manual.....
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.