Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 25 Jun 2013 (Tuesday) 02:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Taking Tripods on Vacation

SkateAndShoot
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Jul 05, 2013 23:23 |  #31

i tend to bring a a little monopod with me when i go out on a hike or something similar but id say bring the tripod or if you have a monopod bring that instead

Canon 60D Gripped
Tokina 12-24 f4
EF 50mm f1.4
EFS 18-55 f3.5-5.6 is2
EF 75-300 f4-5.6

sponsored links
C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,666 posts
Gallery: 479 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 06, 2013 07:52 |  #32

One cool thing about the MeFoto RoadTrip is that it is also a monopod. One leg detaches. The center column then attaches to the detached leg forming a nice monopod. Some other tripods have this feature as well.

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships." Ansel Adams

peter_n
Goldmember
2,454 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 06, 2013 10:43 |  #33

waterrockets wrote in post #16095185 (external link)
8x layers of carbon is not necessarily better than 6x layers.

Exactly.

~Peter

rndman
961 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 06, 2013 22:33 |  #34

C Scott IV wrote in post #16095845 (external link)
One cool thing about the MeFoto RoadTrip is that it is also a monopod. One leg detaches. The center column then attaches to the detached leg forming a nice monopod. Some other tripods have this feature as well.

A "cheaper" equivalent would be promaster xc522..
Am seriously looking at one of these..

Flickr (external link)

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,142 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Jul 07, 2013 14:53 as a reply to  @ rndman's post |  #35

I went the travel tripod route previously and now I travel with my gitzo 2541 + markins Q10. I won't own a tripod that forces me to use the center column or hunch over and for long exposures a sturdy tripod just produces better results.

my set-up weighs 4 lbs. with ballhead removed my tripod collapses to 21". it's the perfect set-up for travel or everyday use unless weight or size is an issue.

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
12,931 posts
Gallery: 302 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 08, 2013 15:13 |  #36

I'm on the same boat, at the moment... I currently have the Gitzo 3530SLV tripod (legs) and RRS BH55 ball head unit... I've been using it for a few vacation adventures... I'll be heading on a week long Alaska cruise at the end of August and I'm "considering" going smaller/lighter than what I have now... I'll be bringing one body (1Ds3), lenses (400L IS DO and 16-35 2.8L), and filters...

Like I mentioned, I'm still "considering" getting something small/lighter... But from the looks of my initial research, I'd be better sticking with what I have... In any event, the search continues...

:D

Hi. My name is Butch...
Complete Gear List | Flickr Vault (external link) | Instagram (external link)

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,722 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 08, 2013 15:39 |  #37

xeodragon wrote in post #16065811 (external link)
Wow thanks for all the great replies! May consider the bean bag idea!

The thing is, I want to take great pictures, but I also don't want to hinder the vacation. Thinking about selling off my Series 2 Gitzo and go for something more portable. Currently don't use the full-size tripod as much as I'd like to, sometimes due to its size/weight!

I hear ya. But if you don't mind, I will gently take issue. If you are going to Hawaii (I've been 3 times), you ain't a pauper, and I'm not counting your money. So why sell it? It's a nice sturdy tripod and you'll take a beating selling it pricewise. Tripods and monopods don't sell quickly on the forum for some reason.

Why not just keep it, take luggage larger than carry-on size, and put it in diagonally. That's what I do with mine. I have a big RRS tripod and a 1 Series Gitzo CF. I'll be damned if I'm not packing my RRS tripod later this year when I go to Vegas. I want it to be as stable as possible at the Grand Canyon and while shooting the fountains in front of the Bellagio at night.

Ever go to live view, magnify 10x and see how much a lightweight tripod allows shake? If you're going to bring it, bring big. Use it when you need it. It will not hinder the vacation at all. Leave it in your hotel room when not needed.

And have a great time. I'm envious. I was supposed to go again this August but my wife started a new job and couldn't get enough vacation time. :(

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,341 posts
Joined May 2003

Jul 09, 2013 15:54 |  #38

Consider a tripod rental. There is a place I think called Hawaii Photo Rental in Honololu (spelling?) that rents a CF tripod for $45/week last time I was there. They will ship to your hotel if you are going to a different island.

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,143 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jul 09, 2013 17:32 as a reply to  @ post 16064506 |  #39

It depends on how I am traveling. When I am traveling in my motorhome or SUV, space is no problem so I will bring both of my tripods: Giottos 8180 graphite and SLIK Pro 330 DX which I modified with a shorter center column and an Adorama Flashpoint F-1 ball head. The Giottos is great but a bit heavy for trekking. The little Slik weighs about one kilogram and can support my 1.6x camera and 70-200mm f/4L IS lens.

IMAGE: http://rpcrowe.smugmug.com/Other/Photo-Equipment/i-tKVG9fK/0/L/Tripods%20Slik%20and%20Giottos-L.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com …424734&k=tKVG9f​K&lb=1&s=A  (external link)

Traveling by plane, I may take the SLIK or I might just take this little Cullman which fits in my camera bag. I have received no flack from the security folks about this little pod...

IMAGE: http://rpcrowe.smugmug.com/Other/Photo-Equipment/i-X4nKMT8/0/L/Culliman%20Tripod%2001-L.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com …895557&k=X4nKMT​8&lb=1&s=A  (external link)

It is certainly not as versatile as my bigger pods but, it is a handy little tool and weighs next to nothing...

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

xeodragon
THREAD ­ STARTER
287 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jul 10, 2013 02:19 |  #40

Thanks for the comments! Some good recommendations and suggestions here!

xeodragon
THREAD ­ STARTER
287 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jul 10, 2013 02:26 |  #41

MDJAK wrote in post #16102529 (external link)
I hear ya. But if you don't mind, I will gently take issue. If you are going to Hawaii (I've been 3 times), you ain't a pauper, and I'm not counting your money. So why sell it? It's a nice sturdy tripod and you'll take a beating selling it pricewise. Tripods and monopods don't sell quickly on the forum for some reason.

Why not just keep it, take luggage larger than carry-on size, and put it in diagonally. That's what I do with mine. I have a big RRS tripod and a 1 Series Gitzo CF. I'll be damned if I'm not packing my RRS tripod later this year when I go to Vegas. I want it to be as stable as possible at the Grand Canyon and while shooting the fountains in front of the Bellagio at night.

Ever go to live view, magnify 10x and see how much a lightweight tripod allows shake? If you're going to bring it, bring big. Use it when you need it. It will not hinder the vacation at all. Leave it in your hotel room when not needed.

And have a great time. I'm envious. I was supposed to go again this August but my wife started a new job and couldn't get enough vacation time. :(

Fair point. The series 2 Gitzo is an excellent tripod, good balance between size and stability. I'm currently in the process of selling (hopefully!) but if not, I may consider bringing it. I'm not sure if I'll have room in my luggage as it'll be a 3 week vacation and doubt my current luggage will fit. We also may do day-trips and I don't know if I'll be able to carry that one around all day either haha.

And thanks for the wishes! Even with all this planning, I doubt I'll be prepared for what I'll experience there. Hope you get a chance to re-visit sometime soon!

sponsored links

6,748 views & 0 likes for this thread
Taking Tripods on Vacation
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.