Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 08 Jul 2013 (Monday) 22:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Walgreens printed one of my logod photos.

Orgazmo1009
176 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 08, 2013 22:42 |  #1

Just curious what can be done. Someone saved a few of my wedding photos with logos off of my website and had them printed at Walgreens, logo and all. What can i do?

Canon 6D gripped, Canon 60D gripped, Canon 70-200L F2.8 IS, Canon 17-40L F4, Nifty 50 RIP, Canon 50mm F1.4, Sigma 50mm F2.8 Macro.

sponsored links
abbypanda
Goldmember
1,804 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jul 08, 2013 22:48 |  #2

I'm not sure what can be done against walgreens.

Walmart I know has a policy online posted. I did some pics for some folks and gave them low res files to print and walmart refused b/c they "looked too professional" even without a logo. But I gave them the OK via phone.

I would see if walgreens has a print policy online for one.

Two, how did you find this out? that they did this?
In actuality the couple could have faked a release, or told walgreens they were the photographer or any number of things, those 2 just being 2 suggestions.

More investigation is in order first.

As I set up my pricing structure more and more stories like this are causing me to offer 1 print package with a buttload of prints for a few hundred bucks but beyond that I'm not even gonna sell 8x10 or lower. I think too many people do just this..... :(

Orgazmo1009
THREAD ­ STARTER
176 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 08, 2013 22:55 as a reply to  @ abbypanda's post |  #3

I was dropping off the disc to the client and she mentioned she printed one. I was like how i havent given you the files. She screen captured it then sent it in to walgreens to be printed. Im not mad at her as she has printing rights on her disc. but when this one was sent in she did not and they didnt even say anything about the photo having a logo.

I know walgreens and walmarts policy on printing professional photos are very similar. They both require release forms. Depending on the walmart or walgreens they usually call me.

Canon 6D gripped, Canon 60D gripped, Canon 70-200L F2.8 IS, Canon 17-40L F4, Nifty 50 RIP, Canon 50mm F1.4, Sigma 50mm F2.8 Macro.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,517 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 08, 2013 23:00 |  #4

Orgazmo1009 wrote in post #16103585 (external link)
She screen captured it

Wow. It must have looked awesome at 50 dpi. People have no standards when it comes to photographic quality any more

Orgazmo1009
THREAD ­ STARTER
176 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 08, 2013 23:03 |  #5

It didnt look half bad. it was only a 4x6 but it was lacking some quality lol

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 09, 2013 00:02 as a reply to  @ Orgazmo1009's post |  #6

While they may have policies in place to restrict this from happening the reality is that they put someone in front of a small monitor and run thousands of prints in a day. Are they going to catch every image with a watermark, I think we could answer that one pretty easily. It also would depend on how big and/or visible your watermark is. A sample would have been nice to see. What is it that you want from Walgreens. Were you expecting some sort of compensation from them? I couldn't see anything on their site relative to watermarked images but I would imagine that their lawyers have this covered in some set of terms and conditions somewhere. Personally I would just pick up the phone and ask them or go in and talk to them to get the answer from the source of the problem.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 09, 2013 00:02 |  #7

Both Walgreens and Walmart have those policies in place after being involved in lawsuits for buckets of money.

I'd be interested in the response of the store/photo manager.

-F

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

abbypanda
Goldmember
1,804 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jul 09, 2013 00:42 |  #8

If she had rights to print them I wouldnt worry about it honestly. It's not worth your time. My only suggestion would be to maybe send an email to the store manager something to the tune of "this event (describe) happened at your store and I'd appreciate it if you would follow your online policy and not print my watermarked images" Good luck getting a response. I dont have a lot of faith in walgreens. After months of getting a script filled there they decided to change the way they fill it and essentially give 1/2 strength stuff which lasted 1/2 month instead of 1 month as usual. The only catch... it cost the same. So it effectively ran up a 188$/ month scrip to almost $400 a month. The pharmacy manager didnt care, adn I complained to corporate. Didnt even get a response. My Dr even called and complained. So good luck getting any response.

My only other question is: what does your logo look like on the pics? I have seen some that are strategically placed to blend in, and some that are very faint. It's hard to say if it was even noticeable at a quick glance.

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Jul 10, 2013 14:31 |  #9

If they're professional photos and she's IN the photo and the attendant can put two and two together, don't you think they would figure she had the rights to print the photo if she wanted to?

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

4YRIONY
23 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 10, 2013 21:24 |  #10

Have you thought of going after the person that stole the picture off of your website?

Canon 5D3, 40D(for sale), SL1
40mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.8, 17-40mm f4, 24-70mm f2.8 II, 70-200mm f2.8 II, 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM, 18-55 STM,

JGI
184 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 10, 2013 22:14 |  #11

I say sit back and enjoy the free advertisement. The more of it she gives away, the more free advertising for you!

Skill is very important but a fully charged battery is very very important :lol:

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,074 posts
Gallery: 552 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 11, 2013 03:43 |  #12

elrey2375 wrote in post #16108408 (external link)
If they're professional photos and she's IN the photo and the attendant can put two and two together, don't you think they would figure she had the rights to print the photo if she wanted to?

Yes but usually when the person in the "professional" photo is the one having the print made; they DO NOT have the right to print the image. Add to that a watermark of some sort and the image definatly falls into the category that requires a release before it should be printed (or at least handed over to the customer). Just because you are in a photo dosn't give you the right to reproduce that photo, and it seems a couple of these chain based labs found that out the hard way.

The odd thing is that as far as I understand copyright, the customer can make copies for their own personal use, but not display or distribute those copies (under fair use rules). So you could use your own printer or photocopier at home to make a copy for personal use. The print lab though is making and then selling a copy of the protected work. As such they are in breach of the law, and you can add in have done so for material gain as well, even if the labs customer was/is coverd by one of the fair use clauses. So you may be able to sue the lab for breech of copyright, although outside of registered works in the USA this may not be worth while as you may only be able to claim your lost profit on the sale of the print. At the same time you do not have to sue your client so you do not upset them.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

tomj
664 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 11, 2013 06:16 as a reply to  @ BigAl007's post |  #13

"If they're professional photos and she's IN the photo and the attendant can put two and two together, don't you think they would figure she had the rights to print the photo if she wanted to?"

She doesn't have the rights to them. And the lab who reproduces them is violating the copyright law.

When film was more widely used the consumer labs seemed to be a lot more sensitive to this - I recall a lot of complaints that Wallmart wouldn't print photos for people because they LOOKED professional, even though the customer took them themselves.

Flickr (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,074 posts
Gallery: 552 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 11, 2013 07:24 |  #14

tomj wrote in post #16110281 (external link)
"If they're professional photos and she's IN the photo and the attendant can put two and two together, don't you think they would figure she had the rights to print the photo if she wanted to?"

She doesn't have the rights to them. And the lab who reproduces them is violating the copyright law.

When film was more widely used the consumer labs seemed to be a lot more sensitive to this - I recall a lot of complaints that Wallmart wouldn't print photos for people because they LOOKED professional, even though the customer took them themselves.

That still happens a lot with digital actually, at least you see folks complaining about it here every 6 months or so. Back in the film days I never really had much of a problem when having colour enlargements made, probably due to the amount of print film that I had D&P'd. Although mostly I just printed big with B&W at home, and even did some CibaChromes too.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

HiepBuiPhotography
Goldmember
1,612 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 11, 2013 08:03 |  #15

I don't get what the big deal is here. You were going to give her a disc anyways with print rights. It's not like you were going to sell her prints. It happens...move on.

Hiep Bui Photography | Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

sponsored links

3,722 views & 0 likes for this thread
Walgreens printed one of my logod photos.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.