Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Jul 2013 (Wednesday) 13:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5DIII - do you miss the built in flash?

jack_dorsey
280 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Jul 11, 2013 04:30 |  #46

Personally I'm willing to use any tool available to get what I want. Recently I photographed the Vermont City Marathon using my 70-300L and 60D. After my daughters finished, we went into a nearby gym for them to shower and change.

My grand daughter started playing in a space capsule replica and my son in law asked if I'd take a few pictures of her so I used the pop up flash as that was the best I could do with the tools available. Later my son in law asked me to send him the pictures as he liked them. The last time I was at there house I noticed they had one of those pictures in a frame.

That day I did have a 430ex in my car but not with me in the gym. I'd not have gotten those shots without the on camera flash. I don't much care if it has imperfect lighting.

Jack
Canon 7D Mark II, Canon SL1, 430EX II, EFS 18-55 IS STM, EFS 55-250 IS STM, EF 50mm 1.8 STM, EF 85mm 1.8, EF 100-400mm L II, Canon 1.4 III teleconverter

sponsored links
umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,932 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 11, 2013 05:51 |  #47

gonzogolf wrote in post #16108306 (external link)
The built in flashes are awful and should be avoided wherever possible. If you've spent that much on a camera, you are serious enough to use a proper light and technique.

This

All my flash use is off the camera. It just looks horrible with canons pop up flash system. Canon did this right and limits it to entry level cameras these days. Anyone 1/2 way serious about flash use would never use it.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 11, 2013 06:01 |  #48

mike_foyle wrote in post #16110067 (external link)
I know it can be nice for convenient outdoor fill but I think you'll find the high iso sufficient to compensate for that in low light and if it's an important photo for a serious shoot, use off camera fill from a speedlite.

High ISO does nothing for fill light. It will just help you expose for the subject while the background gets completely blown out.
If its an "important" photo. Define important? To me important are memories from travels. Travel for me means weight restrictions and hiking, both of which involve minimizing kit. A speedlite would do absolutely nothing to improve fill-flash quality outdoors unless you get it off-camera, and use modifiers in which case it is no longer travel, but a location photoshoot.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

johneo
Goldmember
1,428 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Jul 11, 2013 06:09 |  #49

I always used the built in flash on my 10D and 7D. When I got the 5D and more so the 5DMKII, I pretty much STOPPED using the built in flash and if needed, use the 430 on those cameras and the 550 on the 5D2. Just makes more sense for better photos!

2 - 5DMKII's, Powershot SX 150 IS
7D, 5D, IR/5D, 10D, IR/10D, Elan 7NE
17-40 L, 24-70 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 100-400 L IS,
TS-E 24 f/3.5 L, 28-135 IS (x2), 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8 550EX, 430EX
40mm pancake

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 11, 2013 06:12 |  #50

Sirrith wrote in post #16110261 (external link)
A speedlite would do absolutely nothing to improve fill-flash quality outdoors unless you get it off-camera, and use modifiers in which case it is no longer travel, but a location photoshoot.

I disagree. Any decent speed light can adjust power, which is very useful for fill light (or use ETTL). Off camera is not always necessary either. Were not talking about shooting indoor weddings here.

To answer the OP, I would never use a cheap on-board flash unless there was something like a Sasquatch in front of me at midnight and I had no other choice. Anyone serious about photography in any manner should never use the pop up flash.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 11, 2013 06:22 |  #51

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #16110275 (external link)
I disagree. Any decent speed light can adjust power, which is very useful for fill light (or use ETTL). Off camera is not always necessary either.

The popup flash has ETTL last I checked and you can use FEC to adjust power? And if you use a speedlite on-camera outdoors, what is the difference between it and the popup flash? You can't bounce it because its outdoors.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,246 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 11, 2013 09:48 |  #52

Submariner wrote in post #16110143 (external link)
Personally I HATE the look produced by on camera flash.
I will miss the pop up on the 7D for I reason, it could strobe to help focus in low light!
And I am unhappy that my chosen solution the STE-3RT does not have the IR strobe the STE-2 did (dumfuc@k product development engineer - I would fire him in a heartbeat).
But needed to go this route to get wireless radio coms to new 600EX RT.

Re needing an actual flash one could buy the 90EX - it is also an ETTL2 wireless commander ( IR based though) . Maybe I will keep one 430 ex as a portable solution if I need this 90ex. That would give me a lightweight cheap option.

And use a flash zebra to let the 430ex be triggerred by the 600ex rt in normal mode.

If you just need a focus assist the YN622c units are damned impressive for that purpose. They have a nice wide spread and I was able to lock focus in a room only lit by a tv using the 24-105 which at f4 usually struggles. Its almost worth picking one up just for that purpose.

dave_bass5
Goldmember
4,303 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 11, 2013 09:50 |  #53

I was just getting in to off camera flash when i went from my 60D to 5DMKIII. I had to buy some triggers. The only time i really used the pop up flash was as a trigger for my 580EXII.

Although i do have a 580EXII its too big and heavy to carry around on the camera all day (for me anyway), so i picked up a 270EXII that i can use for fill flash out and about, as this is also something ive been trying to get used to doing. Its a really nice little flash and take up no room at all.

Dave.
Gallery@http://www.flickr.com/​photos/davebass5/ (external link)
Canon 5DMKIV | Canon EOS-M50 | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | 70-300L | 135L f/2.0 | EF-S 10-18 | 40 f/2.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Canon S110 | Fuji F31FD | Canon 580EXII, 270EXII | Yongnuo YN-622C Triggers.

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,770 posts
Gallery: 347 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 11, 2013 09:54 |  #54

Quick note for people wanting a small flash to use for fill, the 90EX that is more geared towards the EOS M is only $99 and supposedly will act as a trigger. If the RT system wasn't out there I'd probably have one already. I'm still very tempted.

Canon EOS M6 Mark II - EOS R
Donate for Forum Costs

dave_bass5
Goldmember
4,303 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 11, 2013 10:04 |  #55

I looked at the 90EX before getting my 270EXII, but I felt having a flash that could bounce was more useful to me. Both are very small though.
The 270EXII can also work as a flash trigger, and also will work as a IR remote for triggering the camera if needed, as it has a dedicated button for that.

Dave.
Canon 5DMKIV | Canon EOS-M50 | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | 70-300L | 135L f/2.0 | EF-S 10-18 | 40 f/2.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Canon S110 | Fuji F31FD | Canon 580EXII, 270EXII | Yongnuo YN-622C Triggers.

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 11, 2013 10:12 |  #56

gonzogolf wrote in post #16110706 (external link)
If you just need a focus assist the YN622c units are damned impressive for that purpose. They have a nice wide spread and I was able to lock focus in a room only lit by a tv using the 24-105 which at f4 usually struggles. Its almost worth picking one up just for that purpose.

That's actually why I purchased one, but the assist beam doesn't seem to line up with my camera's autofocus points. The beam is up and to the side. Any suggestions?

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,246 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 11, 2013 10:14 |  #57

frugivore wrote in post #16110762 (external link)
That's actually why I purchased one, but the assist beam doesn't seem to line up with my camera's autofocus points. The beam is up and to the side. Any suggestions?

Did you get one of the early shipments? I have read where they changed the spread after the early production runs, but I have no idea whether its actually the case. But on my 5DII it was a great help.

dave_bass5
Goldmember
4,303 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 11, 2013 10:18 |  #58

frugivore wrote in post #16110762 (external link)

I have these as well and find you need to be at a certain distance for it to all line up correctly, although ive not had any problems with it at closer distances.

Dave.

Nathan
So boring
7,735 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 11, 2013 10:57 |  #59

Yes, for fill. In a pinch indoors, I'd even redirect the pop-up flash using a spoon or index card to get something less flat.

I scoff at all those who say never use flash or even the pop-up flash. I know who's who who's when they take photos into the sun without a flash.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

adamo99
Goldmember
1,173 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 11, 2013 11:21 |  #60

mike_foyle wrote in post #16110067 (external link)
Personally I think if you are worried about missing the built in flash, you're not ready for the 5D iii.

Built in flash is something that you should stay away from at all costs unless you want to cast nasty, flat, hard light all over your subjects. The 5D iii will allow you to shoot at much higher ISO negating the need for flash in many situations. But also, using a ttl bounce flash and bouncing off a white wall or ceiling will massively improve your photography. The lack of flash in this camera is not a limitation it's an insurance policy against getting bad photos!

Also most good lenses, especially with a hood mounted, block half of the on board flash from reaching your subject, resulting in a half lit photo! Seriously - avoid at all costs. I know it can be nice for convenient outdoor fill but I think you'll find the high iso sufficient to compensate for that in low light and if it's an important photo for a serious shoot, use off camera fill from a speedlite.

Sorry, but this is complete BS.

I'm not ready for a 5DIII because I like to use my onboard flash for outdoor fill?? :rolleyes:

High ISO does NOT negate the need for fill flash. Used properly, you shouldn't be able to tell that a flash was even used. If it's obvious in your photos that you are using flash, you're doing it wrong.

When I like to travel light, I don't want to haul a bag of lenses and speedlights with me. I want something like the 5D3 with a fast prime, like the Sigma 35A or 40mm pancake, and a built-in popup flash, dialed back -2/3 to -1 2/3, depending on the light, simply to fill in shadows under eyes and the like.

Just because you don't know how, or have any desire to use it- doesn't mean that everyone else should "stay away from it at all costs".

sponsored links

10,506 views & 0 likes for this thread
5DIII - do you miss the built in flash?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.