bent toe wrote in post #16110360
I have to ask you guys that own a 1D-X... how can you afford a camera in this pricerange?
I can understand if you have a company and photograph full time, it's cheaper to buy it and you earn that money in no time.
But everyone of you that own it, are you all professional photographers? If not.. how do you justify a buy like this? Were do you get the money from? Saving? Monthly payment? Bank loan?
There is nothing i want more (when it comes to material things) than to own a 1D-X and i believe i will own one in 5-6 years from now because of newer models and price reductions.
I hope this doesn't come off as harsh but:
- It really isn't your business, but I understand the question and others will certainly tell you how they fund the camera. Since I invented the post-it note, I am using those continuing royalties to buy my equipment.
- I daresay a majority of 1DX owners here on the boards are hobbyists or part-time paid photographers, because the ones that are very professional usually don't have time to sit around on the boards.
- How is this unlike any other hobby? If you get into model railroading, or gas powered airplanes, or are a gear-head, the 1DX looks cheap compared to those hobbies. Hopefully folks first pay their debts, then take the remainder and prioritize the money across family, utilities, starbucks, phone, food, charities, church, and hobbies. Sometimes, maybe unfortunately, one gives in to another.
- Why exactly do you want a 1DX? Is your current equipment holding you back in some way, and are you losing revenue due to the hurdles of your current equipment? Have you considered something like the 6D or 5D3? If you cannot really quantify why you will have to save and save to get the 1DX, other than "just because others have them" and "I want one", then you have answered your own question. You will do what you need to in order to save up enough to pay for a 1DX, and others just reach that time sooner than others.
- I like the 1D series, having had several 1D3s and a 1D4, and can afford a 1DX, but after playing with the 5D3, I am not sure exactly what the extra $2800 or so would get me with the 1DX, personally.
- You have nearly $2000 in equipment now, and I expect there are those on the boards that would like to know how you have been able to afford that, as they are only able to get a rebel and a kit lens for now.
- Have you tried to use your equipment in such a way to earn income from it so that you can afford the 1DX sooner? Do senior portraits, baby pics, poster prints, etc? Sometimes you can use your existing equipment to help you leapfrog up to another system.