Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 07 Jul 2013 (Sunday) 17:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EF-100mm f/2.8 vs. f/2.8L IS

JJD.Photography
Goldmember
1,445 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 10, 2013 21:17 as a reply to  @ post 16109465 |  #31

We have both. I'd prefer to have the L as well due to the build quality / weather sealing. The L was released a few months after I made the purchase :confused: Both take fantastically sharp images!!

His And Her Photographs (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
frankk
825 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 10, 2013 22:08 as a reply to  @ JJD.Photography's post |  #32

The difference has been summarized many times. The reason the L is a winner is:

- Build quality / weather sealing improvements
- IQ improvements (not a huge jump in IQ but the L is better)
- Contemporary IS, especially useful for non-macro (like standing in for a 70-200)
- The new focus limiter options

Personally, the most undersold option, the focus limiter, is the one that prompted me to upgrade. If you are shooting moving targets like insects (samples from last week) the limiter significantly increases your keeper rate.

kawi_200
Goldmember
1,409 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 10, 2013 23:14 |  #33

I forgot about the focus limiter. I did like that function on the L too. The non L has a limiter like most lenses that goes full range (MFD to infinity) and non-macro range (0.48m to infinity) while the L version adds a third option limiting the focus from MFD to 0.5m (basically macro only). This makes the lens focus hunt much less when shooting macro images.

5D4 or 6D2..... Waiting to find out which I buy | 8-15L |24-70mm f/4L IS | 24L II | 40mm pancake | 100L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS mk2 | 400mm f/4 DO IS

ben805
Goldmember
1,197 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 11, 2013 01:08 |  #34

The F stops here wrote in post #16109465 (external link)
Convenient to only quote part of what i say to try and make your point ;). Never once did i or anyone else for that matter say the were the same quality wise, hence the term "virtually identical" meaning any "normal" person viewing the pics would not be able to tell the difference.

The side by side comparison posted above would look the same to anyone viewing. Posting lens specs does not instantly make the L superior, sure on paper it has lots of big numbers compared to the non L, but the reality boils down the the person behind the lens.

For me personally since macro is only a hobby i opted for the "cheaper" lens that way i could used the extra cash saved for other things i may want in the future. The OPs choice is the OPs choice, not trying to sway them one way or the other, just posting my experience and opinion which is what this forum is all about if i remember correctly :D

with example like that, the 18-55 kit lens is also practically and virtually identical to 24-70 2.8 II as well. ;)

5D Mark III, Samyang 14mm, 35LII, 85L II, 100L IS Macro, 24-105L, 70-200L 2.8 IS II. 580EX, AB400, AB800.

KristyT2i
57 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 11, 2013 01:25 |  #35

The F stops here wrote in post #16106838 (external link)
I re-read the thread to see where anyone said "image quality is the same" and could not find such a quote, if you could point out who specifically said that it would be great.

Taking into consideration most folks won't be "pixel peeping" that closely i don't personally think the sharpness difference between the 2 lenses is really that critical. For a casual shooter the non L is more than sufficient in sharpness, i feel anyone looking to get that deep into macro would really be considering a MPE-65. Just sayin :)

I was paraphrasing...but how about this quote taken from above:
"Both lenses have exactly the same image quality."

My comments weren't addressed at nightcat though, rather the general consensus in this thread that these two lenses have "virtually the same IQ"....this isn't true, just something regurgitated on the forum. The 100L has better colors, contrast, and sharpness.

It's funny because the general consensus on the forum is "the 70-200MKII has noticeably better IQ than v1." Well, if you look at the MTF numbers, the difference between 100 original vs 100L, don't differ too much from the MTF numbers of the 70-200 original vs 70-200MKII.

Thats perfectly fine that you wanted to save your money because this is just a "hobby" for you, and you personally couldn't see/tell a difference. However, we all have different skill levels, financial situations, and some of us CAN tell a difference. I still believe it is erroneous to say that the image quality is virtually identical, because it's not.

jimewall
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 11, 2013 07:02 as a reply to  @ KristyT2i's post |  #36

Yes, I agree the L is the best of them no doubt.

There is a difference between the L and the non-Ls (there are 3 not 2 versions of the Canon EF 100mm macro - The pre-USM, USM, & the L). Each one is just a hint better (IQ-wise) than the previous one, but not as much as a couple of users want to think.

There are other improvements, but lets stick with IQ (especially sharpness since that is what was focused on above).

No, the IQ is not the same, the L is the best. Though it is closer to the other two in IQ, more so than being way better. Sharpness is real close between all three versions especially adjoining versions. The L does seem to have better colors and contrast (which isn't sharpness, but often lends itself to the appearance of sharpness). Again the difference isn't night and day.

I fully believe if we get a good photographer (that leaves me out) and they use the same camera and settings (wide open not crazy stopped down), and a tripod, same static real world subjects (at macro and normal ranges) with each of these lenses to take some pics. Then print up to say 16X20 and mark them (on the back of course) most normal people (photographers are people) will be hard pressed to to see much difference in the prints from each lens - especially if sharpness is the main comparison factor.

But I'm sure I'm just "blessed" or something and this is just MHO.

Thanks for Reading & Good Luck - Jim
GEAR

pdrober2
Goldmember
2,318 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 11, 2013 07:11 |  #37

i have owned both. the non-L is a great lens for the money. however, the L is one of my favorite canon lenses. great color, razor sharp wide open, and a FL that is great for protraits. Plus, I handhold all of my macro shots, so I needed the IS.

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23 | 27 | 56 | 90 | 55-200
Feedback

jimewall
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 11, 2013 08:43 |  #38

pdrober2 wrote in post #16110367 (external link)
i have owned both. the non-L is a great lens for the money. however, the L is one of my favorite canon lenses. great color, razor sharp wide open, and a FL that is great for protraits. Plus, I handhold all of my macro shots, so I needed the IS.

I agree, but I can say (except for the HH) the same about my non-L-non-USM!

That said the L has more than enough pluses (including in IQ, I just don't think it is as overly dramatic a differences as some are suggesting). The L is better, and I plan on using it over my other.

I also am starting to try and use it HH with no flash more frequently.

Assuming you want a 100mm macro, my stance is (if you have the money) and no 100mm macro, get the L. If you have the first version (I also still own), there are enough improvements to justify the upgrade to the L. If you have the second version (USM non-L) then it is a harder decision, but it would be an upgrade in all areas (just not a humongous upgrade in IQ).

Thanks for Reading & Good Luck - Jim
GEAR

warwoman
THREAD ­ STARTER
158 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 11, 2013 08:47 |  #39

vengence wrote in post #16106359 (external link)
No one, it's just a joke to say "well if there isn't enough light that you can't hand hold, even if you are a pro at it, you shouldn't take the photograph".

Understand:lol:

warwoman
THREAD ­ STARTER
158 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 11, 2013 08:49 |  #40

The F stops here wrote in post #16106802 (external link)
Guess i'll jump in since the non L is one of my primary lenses, I've owned this lens twice. Sold my first one in favor of the L but changed my mind as they are virtually identical optically (silly to research this after the fact i know, live and learn).

The more i use this lens the more i learn just how versatile it is, whether on my 60D (where it lives most often) or on my 5D2. It all depends on your purpose and how often you think you are going to use it.

3 examples from the non L

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/lenzfreak/92455​77590/  (external link)
Greenbot6 (external link) by LenzFreak (external link), on Flickr

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/lenzfreak/91591​86237/  (external link)
Flower12 (external link) by LenzFreak (external link), on Flickr

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/lenzfreak/91532​40027/  (external link)
Hummingbird27 (external link) by LenzFreak (external link), on Flickr

No tripods here :D

Great pics! I bought the non-L on the sell site, and it should arrive today. Looking forward to using it. How far were you from the hummingbird?

The ­ F ­ stops ­ here
Goldmember
2,061 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jul 11, 2013 09:38 |  #41

Thanks, within 2 feet of the hummingbird as i had a 12mm extension tube on which greatly reduces my focus distance. :)

JD
Talent will get you far, but not as far as ambition
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/lenzfreak/ (external link)
Smugmug-primefocus.smugmug.com (external link)

sponsored links

6,324 views & 0 likes for this thread
EF-100mm f/2.8 vs. f/2.8L IS
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.