Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Jul 2013 (Sunday) 23:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 40d Pros and Cons?

jt354
401 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 11, 2013 10:28 |  #61

I still have my 40D (looking to sell). It's been a great camera but there are a few advantages to the newer bodies.

Pros: solid build quality, reliable, high quality live view LCD, good viewfinder, twin dials and "joystick" for control, good image quality, high FPS

Cons: "Only" 10MP gives limited cropping and large print ability, no video capability, no live view AF, limited high ISO ability (usable up to 800 in my experience, 3200 max)

Zenfolio (external link)
flickr (external link)
Gear: Canon 60D / Canon G12 / Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 / Canon 35mm f/2 IS / Canon 85mm f/1.8 / Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 / Speedlite 430 EXII / Slik 700DX legs / Cullmann MB6 head

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,137 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 11, 2013 13:06 as a reply to  @ jt354's post |  #62

It does switch over to normal AF, momentarily, from Live view. But no contrast detect AF, that's correct.

Anders

hennie
Goldmember
1,251 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 11, 2013 14:13 |  #63

Look here:
http://www.henniekleij​wegt.nl/ZF2013/ZF2013A (external link)
I have made these pictures with a 40D and a 7D and challenge you to pick out the 40D pictures.
When you don't really need more megapixels and can live without video it still is a nice camera.
You should be able to get one for a better price.

lexplayer
30 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 11, 2013 14:31 as a reply to  @ hennie's post |  #64

My 40d was fantastic but I had to sell it to fund a 60d, I probably should have just kept it but I WANTED the video function that I NEVER use.

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 11, 2013 16:00 |  #65

sandpiper wrote in post #16110668 (external link)
So, you are saying that a shot taken at ISO 200, three stops underexposed will yield as good an image (after editing) as one taken at ISO 1600 and exposed correctly??

At ISO 200? On a Canon sensor? No. That's the nonlinear region.

But an ISO 800 shot underexposed by 3 stops might, since that's in the linear region. Honestly, I'd have to try it out.

Thing is, though, that ETTR is based on the notion of the higher ISO sensitivities working better than pushing the lower ones.

There's also the signal to noise ratio to think about. At ISO 1600, the 40D is already at the point where the falloff is at about 3 dB per stop. The 7D's falloff is about 2.5 dB per stop at the same place. But at ISO 3200, the 7D's falloff rate is 3.5 dB per stop (all of these are from the "in print" measurements). One stop of difference is equivalent to 3 dB, so that suggests that you'll actually get better results on the 7D by taking an ISO 3200 shot and pushing it rather than using ISO 6400 and above.

Each camera, therefore, will have a different point at which you'll get equal or better results by pushing a lower ISO shot than by taking a higher ISO shot.

So based on this, the experiment you mention, even at ISO 800, will work out in favor of the ISO 800 shot, though not necessarily by a whole lot. That has nothing to do with the nature of going to higher ISOs, however, and everything to do with the characteristics of these sensors and their readout electronics. Once you get the camera to a certain ISO, going beyond it in-camera appears to yield no real returns except for ease of use.

Of course, all this also assumes that dxomark.com's sample cameras are representative. The only way to know how your specific camera will actually behave is to perform some of these experiments yourself.

How do you deal with clipped blacks that have gone off the edge of the histogram due to the heavy underexposure ?

The dynamic range prevents the blacks from truly going off the edge like that. You have to be shooting raw to get away with this, though.

How do you think the 30D and 40D are able to do the equivalent of ISO 12800 at all?

The higher your ISO, the lower your dynamic range. This is something that dxomark.com actually measures. You can see the dynamic range graph for these cameras for yourself. Take a look, especially, at the "print" graph, where the cameras are equalized (and thus comparable on an even footing). Note how the dynamic range falls off with ISO.

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

8,954 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 40d Pros and Cons?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.