Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 11 Jul 2013 (Thursday) 10:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

im a rookie! can anyone give me some help

doghouse25
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jul 11, 2013 10:17 |  #1

so i am looking in to photography as a hobby i have never owned a DSLR only "point and shoot" cameras i want to take pictures of events ie weddings parties grad photos that sort of thing but my passion is animal photography. I love people interacting with their pets and pets interacting with their humans. What would be a good starter camera to get (im going to get it from somewhere on craigslist until i know for sure this is something that i want to do) and any classes to take to get me rolling. Thank you all very much... any and all comments are welcomed!:D

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,316 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 11, 2013 10:27 |  #2

The problem with saying you are going to buy via craigslist is that we dont have any idea of what range camera you can find in your local area, so making very specific suggestions is pointless as that camera might never show up. That said, look for either a canon rebel, t1i or newer, or a 40D or newer body. The XXD line (40D, 50D etc) are a bit sturdier and have slightly different controls, but are not any harder to learn on than a rebel. There are stickies here that have lots of useful information once you get your camera on how to use it and why it behaves as it does. www.dpreview.com (external link) has a database of cameras so you can see the features on whatever model you consider. Once you identify a possibility you can always ask here or PM me if you have concerns.

When you say take pictures of events and weddings, I hope you mean as a guest.

doghouse25
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jul 11, 2013 10:33 |  #3

yes as a guest i am not quallified to take on a job like that there are trained professionals to do things like that. i will look around for the models that are mentioned i was really just looking for guidance as to what machine would be best for the type of photos that i enjoy. thank you for your imput.

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 11, 2013 10:33 |  #4

doghouse25 wrote in post #16110772 (external link)
so i am looking in to photography as a hobby i have never owned a DSLR only "point and shoot" cameras i want to take pictures of events ie weddings parties grad photos that sort of thing but my passion is animal photography. I love people interacting with their pets and pets interacting with their humans. What would be a good starter camera to get (im going to get it from somewhere on craigslist until i know for sure this is something that i want to do) and any classes to take to get me rolling. Thank you all very much... any and all comments are welcomed!:D

Dollar-for-dollar, there are two good choices for a starter camera. One would be a Canon PowerShot SX50HS (external link), a versatile superzoom that would give you experience with a wide range of fields of view. At roughly the same price, you'll find the Canon PowerShot G15 (external link). Either camera would be a very good choice.

The cameras will let you accumulate the necessary picture-taking experience to prepare you for the demands of a DSLR without the price of a DSLR and its lenses. Both cameras can be used with a Canon EOS flash, which you should also consider purchasing to accumulate experience with flash photography.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,316 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 11, 2013 10:36 |  #5

doghouse25 wrote in post #16110815 (external link)
yes as a guest i am not quallified to take on a job like that there are trained professionals to do things like that. i will look around for the models that are mentioned i was really just looking for guidance as to what machine would be best for the type of photos that i enjoy. thank you for your imput.

Good, I didnt want to sound snarky when I said that, but we have lots of instant pros who think they can go from I-phone to pro photographer via credit card.

Romax12
189 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 11, 2013 10:37 |  #6

My first DSLR was a gift I got about a year ago. it was a t3i with an 18-135 IS lens and im still using it today. I think its the best selling camera, because of it being a bargain at about 450$ today and the lens is also 350 or so. Even though it would have been nice to jump to full frame right from the beggining and enjoying the high ISO, build quality, etc', I think that you can't go wrong with a complete set for less than a grand.

Canon t3i
--- EF-S 18-135 f3.5-5.6 IS --- EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS usm ---
600ex-rt and yn-622c (2x)

doghouse25
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jul 11, 2013 11:22 |  #7

i saw this and i think its a good deal what do you all think about this one???

http://www.amazon.com …5VG&coliid=I3JO​BXE7IZY3W1 (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,842 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Jul 11, 2013 11:23 |  #8

I routinely check out several Craiglists around our area. The most common Canon DSLR cameras are the various Rebels. There are often decent deals on the later models, including the T4i, T3i and T2i. Usually they are part of a kit someone has assembled, so kit lens with possibly another lens or two.

I don't think this would be a bad place to start if someone wasn't totally sure they wanted to choose photography as a long term hobby.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,842 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Jul 11, 2013 11:27 |  #9

doghouse,

Those package deals are mostly a waste of time and money. The add-ons are of low quality and end up being useless, in most cases. The T3 itself is the least of the Canon line of DSLRs and I think you'd end up being disappointed in a very short time.

You'd do better buying a refurbished camera from Canon Direct and just recently, they changed the warranty from 90 days to a full year. I bought my 60D as a refurb from them last year in April. It came with 144 shutter actuations and you couldn't tell it from new.

http://shop.usa.canon.​com …wAll_10051_1005​1_-1_29252 (external link)

Edit: This kind of a kit would work well for someone just starting out: http://shop.usa.canon.​com …s-ii-lens-kit-refurbished (external link)

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,316 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 11, 2013 11:31 |  #10

doghouse25 wrote in post #16110968 (external link)
i saw this and i think its a good deal what do you all think about this one???

http://www.amazon.com …5VG&coliid=I3JO​BXE7IZY3W1 (external link)

No package deals. They add lots of junk, most of it useless. Focus on the camera and a lens. Eventually you will want an additional flash and a different lens, but adding a lens cleaning kit and a $10 tripod is not value added.

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 11, 2013 11:35 |  #11

I'm not sure what you're budget is, but If I had $300 to play with I'd pick up a used canon 30D ($200ish) hopefully with an 18-55 and a used 50mm 1.8 ($90ish).

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

DutchinCLE
Goldmember
2,039 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 11, 2013 11:45 |  #12

I started with a T3i, and still use it.. It is not yet limitting me in what I want to do/learn.

Bas
Flickr (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,020 posts
Gallery: 543 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 11, 2013 13:48 |  #13

Not only would the accessories in that linked package be rubbish, but the 75-300 lens has the reputation of being the absolute worse lens that Canon sells. It may even be the absolute worse lens Canon have made in an EF mount or even close to all time. Those packages look nice, and you seem to get a lot for your money, it's just that it is stuff that mostly you just don't need or won't do the job properly, so will need to be replaced anyway.

The only telephoto lens that makes it into packages that is really worth having is the EF-s 55-250 IS, which is often sold by Canon as a kit with the 55-18 IS, and a Rebel series body. That would be one "package" deal that I would consider, as long as they do not then also try to bundle you up with a chaep SD card bag and a load of filters along with a really cheap tripod.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links

777 views & 0 likes for this thread
im a rookie! can anyone give me some help
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.