Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 11 Jul 2013 (Thursday) 19:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Live View on tablets

AAphotog
828 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 11, 2013 19:22 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

Does anyone own an android tablet that allows you to hook up your canon and view the cameras Live view on the tablets display?
If so, how are you hooking it up? Usb or HDMI?
Is it easy and clear to focus
Also, what is the lag time?
Last, if you are using Magic Lantern on your camera, how is it looking on the tablet?

I'm thinking about buying something like this
http://www.bestbuy.com …18604366681&sku​Id=5064393 (external link)

Do you think it will work good?
By the way, this will be used for video, not photos so it's got to be pretty smooth with preferably no lag time to get a good focus on moving people

5d3, 50mm 1.4, 70-200mm F4 L, 17-40mm F4 L
But hey, they say it's not the gear right:rolleyes:

sponsored links
yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 11, 2013 19:57 |  #2

I have the very same Samsung Galaxy tablet as you've posted. Fantastic little tablet when out and about. Make sure you buy the model with 3G. Here, Samsung has blurred the lines between mobile phone and tablet.

I'm thinking of ditching my iPad2 for the 10" version.

I have often thought if it's possible to use this tablet for live view with my EOS M.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

AAphotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
828 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 11, 2013 20:03 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

yogestee wrote in post #16112297 (external link)
I have the very same Samsung Galaxy tablet as you've posted. Fantastic little tablet when out and about. Make sure you buy the model with 3G. Here, Samsung has blurred the lines between mobile phone and tablet.

I'm thinking of ditching my iPad2 for the 10" version.

I have often thought if it's possible to use this tablet for live view with my EOS M.

I wasn't looking for a review of the tablet... Lol
'Dslr controller' seems to be what everyone is using with the 30 pin to USB OTG adapter. I really want to know the response time, and if It will work with magic lantern.

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 11, 2013 20:23 |  #4

AAphotog wrote in post #16112314 (external link)
I wasn't looking for a review of the tablet... Lol
'Dslr controller' seems to be what everyone is using with the 30 pin to USB OTG adapter. I really want to know the response time, and if It will work with magic lantern.

OK mate,, when you find out, give me a shout.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

swldstn
977 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 11, 2013 22:08 |  #5

Yes, I have a Nexus 7 that supports USB On-The-Go and connects to my Canon DSLRs via USB and lets me do live view and control my camera.

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Love to Shoot - a Digital SLR (and now a Mirroless ILC) are my weapons of choice
Gear List

swldstn
977 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 11, 2013 22:17 |  #6

Forgot to mention the software is DSLR Controller which is still Beta but available at Gooogle Play for $8-9.

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Love to Shoot - a Digital SLR (and now a Mirroless ILC) are my weapons of choice
Gear List

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 11, 2013 22:20 |  #7

I use DLSR controller on a Toshiba Thrive and when it works it works well. Sometimes it's flawless, sometimes it closes after every other shot. :rolleyes: I went with the Toshiba over the Samsung because it offered native USB host, as well as HDMI, SD, etc.
I haven't tried using it with Magic Lantern yet. I may give it a shot today or tomorrow.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

AAphotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
828 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 11, 2013 22:30 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

Scatterbrained wrote in post #16112587 (external link)
I use DLSR controller on a Toshiba Thrive and when it works it works well. Sometimes it's flawless, sometimes it closes after every other shot. :rolleyes: I went with the Toshiba over the Samsung because it offered native USB host, as well as HDMI, SD, etc.
I haven't tried using it with Magic Lantern yet. I may give it a shot today or tomorrow.

So is there a way to view the hdmi feed on the tablet? If so, do you do so through the sale controller app or a different app? Is the view instantaneous and smooth? Or is it jerky or does it have a lag?

AAphotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
828 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 11, 2013 22:41 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

swldstn wrote in post #16112569 (external link)
Yes, I have a Nexus 7 that supports USB On-The-Go and connects to my Canon DSLRs via USB and lets me do live view and control my camera.

How does it work? Any lag in the feed? Is it real time?
Would you depend on it to focus on moving subjects???
Also, the on the go cord, do they sell them in stores or is it an online only thing? I couldn't find one at bestbuy.

StayFrosty
407 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jul 12, 2013 02:31 |  #10

DSLR controller is more of a replacement for magic lantern when used from a tablet. It has all the usual controls including bracketing etc which you use thru its own interface, not the camera live view screen just moved to the tablet. I hope that helps.

flickr (external link) Vimeo (external link)

patrick023
523 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 12, 2013 02:54 |  #11

AAphotog wrote in post #16112612 (external link)
So is there a way to view the hdmi feed on the tablet? If so, do you do so through the sale controller app or a different app? Is the view instantaneous and smooth? Or is it jerky or does it have a lag?

On the tablets I've used, the HDMI is an output source and not an input. I've owned a Transformer 300T, a Nexus 7 and a Surface Pro. You may just have to get a video monitor with HDMI inputs to use it for video. I've never used the video modes on any of my DSLR's though so I can't comment on lag.

1Ds3 | 5Dmk3 | 6D | 7D | 20D | EF 17-40 f/4 L | 50 f/2.5 Compact Macro | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 135 f/2L | EF 24-70 f/2.8L vII | EF 24-105 f/4 L | EF 70-200 f/2.8 L vII | EF 70-200 f/4 L | Sigma 170-500 | A ton of speedlights and Einsteins
My work: www.p3photo.com (external link) | My facebook: https://www.facebook.c​om/P3PhotoKC (external link)

swldstn
977 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 12, 2013 04:37 |  #12

AAphotog wrote in post #16112646 (external link)
How does it work? Any lag in the feed? Is it real time?
Would you depend on it to focus on moving subjects???
Also, the on the go cord, do they sell them in stores or is it an online only thing? I couldn't find one at bestbuy.

So its stated to be about 15 frames per second. Haven't tried to track any moving subjects with it yet.

I had to buy the adapter cable on line. Couldn't find it locally here anywhere. There are cheaper versions but I got the ASUS on here http://www.amazon.com …&keywords=nexus​+otg+cable (external link) on Amazon. Might be slightly different for different tablets.

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Gear List

ElectronGuru
427 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 16, 2013 11:27 |  #13

Perhaps the next M will have wifi, make all of this easier.

"Light is the paint, lenses are brush, sensors are the canvas"
6D | 100L Macro | 50L | 24L TSE
Builder of custom flashlights, OVEREADY.com (external link)

symbolphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,622 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jul 16, 2013 23:35 |  #14

If you don't have an ipad, maybe this is the next best thing?
https://play.google.co​m …ails?id=com.cam​ranger.app (external link)

AAphotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
828 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 16, 2013 23:42 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

Update:
Read my thread here
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1314928

sponsored links

4,968 views & 0 likes for this thread
Live View on tablets
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.