Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 12 Jul 2013 (Friday) 09:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

High ISO?

alexdesign
427 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 12, 2013 09:32 |  #1

I am seeing more photos done with very light like settings but it's done INSIDE a house and on some photos there's an effect of a window but I know in fact there's a wall there. It's like as if light is coming through the walls..... I don't know hard to explain. Here are some examples of what I am talking about.

These images are obviously done outside but I wonder how one would get so much light inside the car, the outside looks blown. Is there a technique to blow outside to get the inside light?

On this link. All these images done inside the house look as if the house was filled with natural light (even the foyer). Again, anyone know any trick to this?

http://www.angelcanary​blog.com …day-hindu-indian-wedding/ (external link)

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/62731114@N02/ (external link)

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,675 posts
Gallery: 121 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 12, 2013 09:41 |  #2

FYI if you didnt take these, you should link rather than post, forum rules. As for the shots, if the light isnt directional and it appears its somewhat diffused here, then you just simply expose for the interior of the car and let the outside blow-out. I'm not sure which exact photos within the blog you are referring to. It appears they are in a building with tons of window light so you can do a similar thing.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 12, 2013 10:20 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #3

The shots in the car are simply shot using the ambient light coming in through all the windows, cars are quite light inside with all that glass, but obviously not as bright as outside. That is why the outside is so overexposed, the photographer exposed for the light inside the car. The only " technique to blow outside to get the inside light " is to get your exposure right for the subject. Take the camera off auto as it will read the outside light and factor that into the exposure, so will underexpose the interior. Take a light reading from inside and set that manually.

As for the interior shots, there are so many it is hard to know which you refer to. Some are clearly using regular room lighting as they have an orange tint from the tungsten lighting. Others look to have been shot with ambient natural light, from a window, or may have used diffused flash off camera, or bounced off a wall (likely the light source you are seeing where you believe there is a wall and not a window). Again, there are no special "tricks" being used here, just basic understanding of light and either using ambient or, when ambient light is poor, adding some supplementary light from a reflector or indirect diffused flash.

Reading a book such as Peterson's "Understanding Exposure" would help you to learn how to expose correctly, and add light effectively where needed.

alexdesign
THREAD ­ STARTER
427 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 12, 2013 11:06 |  #4

what's the difference link rather than post? I didn't take credit for these I posted and I can't link to them they are on huge drive and these are shots of my sister-in-law.

Thanks both for the info and Sandiper, I will check out that book "Understanding the exposure" thanks.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/62731114@N02/ (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,040 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 12, 2013 11:16 |  #5

alexdesign wrote in post #16113815 (external link)
what's the difference link rather than post? I didn't take credit for these I posted and I can't link to them they are on huge drive and these are shots of my sister-in-law.

Thanks both for the info and Sandiper, I will check out that book "Understanding the exposure" thanks.

Forum rules state:

1. "All images posted are copyrighted to their respective owners.
  2. "You agree to post only content that you have copyright for, or with written permission from the copyright owner.
  3. "Content copied in it's entirety from other websites, Forums or other media must be accompanied by a link or reference to the material, along with credit given to the original author."

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,524 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jul 12, 2013 20:57 |  #6

alexdesign wrote in post #16113815 (external link)
what's the difference link rather than post?

When you post an image you are making a copy (from the original site) and posting it here. Copying peoples photos without permission is copyright infringement, which is why the forum rules prohibit it.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

sponsored links

970 views & 0 likes for this thread
High ISO?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.