Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 12 Jul 2013 (Friday) 08:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Having a small second camera along with your DSLR...

Ryan0751
212 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 12, 2013 08:23 |  #1

I love my Canon 5DIII, and all of the assorted lenses and such.

But, there are some times that I wish I had something really small to take around too. I've been looking at the Fuji X100s, and it looks like it's a great camera.

My fear is that if I get a really really nice small camera, my expensive DSLR will see less use. I mean clearly it will if I have a second camera... I just wonder how much.

What have you all found? Did it help your photography? Or make you lazy ? :)

I forsee certain times, where it's just not feasible to bring a camera bag with me. I just don't want to get in the "ah, just leave the big camera at home" mindset all the time.

Canon 5D III, Fuji X100s, Sigma 15mm (Fisheye), 16-35 F2.8 L II, 24-70 F2.8 L II, 70-200 F2.8 IS II L, 100 2.8 Macro L, 1.4X TC, 3 x 600 EX-RT, ST-E3, Nodal Ninja Ultimate M2 with EZ Leveler
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/ryanruel (external link)

sponsored links
taemo
Goldmember
1,243 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 12, 2013 08:39 |  #2

once you have a smaller portable camera, you will definitely be seeing less your DSLR.
but IMO this can be good for your photography, it means you will always have a camera with you encouraging you take pictures.

I haven't used my 5DII in months now, the last time I used it was on July 1st to test out the new 70-200 f4L that I bought and before that was in May at the local Zoo.
the 5DII now only gets used for portraits or feel like using it for landscape, otherwise it's the X100s or the Leica M6 that's always in my bag and my day to day camera

earldieta.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - tumblr (external link) - gear/feedback
the spirit is willing but the body is sore and squishy
4 digital cameras | 14 film cameras

AlFooteIII
444 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Jul 12, 2013 08:47 |  #3

That's why I have an iPhone! ;)

Seriously, though, I've had the same thought -- especially in social situations where the big guns might scare the fauna. I'm thinking about the Canon M, so that I do have the option to use my lenses.

Specializing in Theatrical Photography. See my work at:
www.alfoote3photograph​y.com/ (external link)
www.facebook.com/alfoo​te3photography (external link)

Ryan0751
THREAD ­ STARTER
212 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 12, 2013 08:49 |  #4

That sort of scares me, I spent like $15k on lenses and my 5DIII. But I am not alone I know.

Leica M6 AND the Fuji? Must be nice :) Is the Fuji everything that it's said to be?

I like to ski in the winter, I can totally see bringing something like the X100 to take great ski photos. The 5DIII with a backpack, not so much, and if I fell I could break it.

Canon 5D III, Fuji X100s, Sigma 15mm (Fisheye), 16-35 F2.8 L II, 24-70 F2.8 L II, 70-200 F2.8 IS II L, 100 2.8 Macro L, 1.4X TC, 3 x 600 EX-RT, ST-E3, Nodal Ninja Ultimate M2 with EZ Leveler

Ryan0751
THREAD ­ STARTER
212 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 12, 2013 08:51 |  #5

AlFooteIII wrote in post #16113424 (external link)
That's why I have an iPhone! ;)

Seriously, though, I've had the same thought -- especially in social situations where the big guns might scare the fauna. I'm thinking about the Canon M, so that I do have the option to use my lenses.

I thought about that too. The M attached to my 70-200 F2.8 would be funny :) I like the Fuji though with the quick access to dials, over using menus and a screen viewfinder.

I post a lot of my photos to Facebook. The other day I posted an iPhone photo and someone commented on how they always love my photography. I was like "grrr, I used my iPhone to take that!".

billybookcase
473 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 12, 2013 09:00 |  #6

In addition the the DSLR, I purchased the OMD at release. However, I still found the OMD to be too bulky even though I had the 14mm pancake attached at all times, so I sold the OMD to buy the Panasonic G3 (for the m43 lenses) and a Ricoh GRD IV (before the release of the Ricoh GR).

In addition to considering the X100s, you could also look at the GR, IMO it's even more discrete than the fuji and it's been an awesome street photography camera for me, especially with the great user interface (3 custom settings on a point and shoot! even the 6D doesn't have that many) as well as the use of snap focus points (half press would do multi-point focus, one-time full press would auto set focus to 1.5 meters without me even batting a lash).

It didn't make me lazy, it was just two different tools for two different styles.

Flickr (external link)

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 12, 2013 09:07 |  #7

I bought the G12 two or so years ago for that reason, something light, shoots raw, decent quality. Back then I did not want to carry all my gear to Germany for 2 weeks of xmas vacation with possible rain and snow (i.e. 40D would stay at home anyway). Nice camera, though I just recently found that I had not used it in almost one year. Either 40D was with me or I just used the iphone for snaps and found photography.

I'm now running around with my new 5D3 and two lenses, plus the G12 for your European vacation. If big was too bulky for all day I took the G12.

I'm gonna look at newer small cameras when I get back home, something fast for street photography and to carry if the big gear is just not practical. So I use them all, some more, some less. I usually have my DSLR sitting around ready to grab whereas the G12 is usually in my closet. I'm sure that helps in keeping my big one used and happy :-)

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

Ryan0751
THREAD ­ STARTER
212 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 12, 2013 09:14 |  #8

Sounds kinda of like my other hobby, DJ'ing. I went back and forth, use controllers and laptops, CD decks, vinyl... now I have it all and it's kind of a "right tool for the right occasion" thing.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,995 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 12, 2013 10:18 |  #9

Ryan0751 wrote in post #16113362 (external link)
My fear is that if I get a really really nice small camera, my expensive DSLR will see less use. I mean clearly it will if I have a second camera... I just wonder how much.

I actually found that the opposite happened. When I got a (very good at the time) Sony H-5 several years ago, I did so with the intention of using it as a backup to my "big" DSLRs. Well, truth is, I almost never, ever used it. And when I did use it, I always regretted doing so, because I knew that any image I took with it would have been better (from an IQ standpoint) if the image would have been taken with the DSLR instead.

I asked myself the question, "Do I even want a photo taken with a P&S?" I realized that the answer was an emphatic "NO".

So, I gave the P&S to my wife to use for the family snapshots she likes to take, and now only use the DSLRs. I don't have any desire to ever take a photo with a "small camera" - ever again.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Nathan
So boring
7,735 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 12, 2013 10:21 |  #10

I barely use my G9. I think if it was a mirrorless or ... ahem ... an M9 ... different story.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

taemo
Goldmember
1,243 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 12, 2013 11:26 as a reply to  @ Nathan's post |  #11

Ryan0751 wrote in post #16113436 (external link)
That sort of scares me, I spent like $15k on lenses and my 5DIII. But I am not alone I know.

Leica M6 AND the Fuji? Must be nice :) Is the Fuji everything that it's said to be?

I like to ski in the winter, I can totally see bringing something like the X100 to take great ski photos. The 5DIII with a backpack, not so much, and if I fell I could break it.

with fw 1.03, the Fuji X100s is damn near perfect, focuses pretty quick now and IQ is fantastic. I'm testing it out as my landscape camera too.

Tom Reichner wrote in post #16113655 (external link)
I actually found that the opposite happened. When I got a (very good at the time) Sony H-5 several years ago, I did so with the intention of using it as a backup to my "big" DSLRs. Well, truth is, I almost never, ever used it. And when I did use it, I always regretted doing so, because I knew that any image I took with it would have been better (from an IQ standpoint) if the image would have been taken with the DSLR instead.

I asked myself the question, "Do I even want a photo taken with a P&S?" I realized that the answer was an emphatic "NO".

So, I gave the P&S to my wife to use for the family snapshots she likes to take, and now only use the DSLRs. I don't have any desire to ever take a photo with a "small camera" - ever again.

small cameras have evolved a lot for the past 5 years and IMO the IQ they can produce is DSLR comparable. the OMD, Fuji X, NEX 6 and 7 takes images comparable to a DSLR, the RX1 even surpasses APS-C DSLR.
one thing though where the DSLR will always shine though is with telephoto lens

earldieta.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - tumblr (external link) - gear/feedback

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,335 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Jul 12, 2013 11:45 |  #12

For my personal work it is a Leica M Monochrom and 34 1.4 summilux FLE. I also use it for some of my commercial assignments.

whuband
Goldmember
1,433 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 12, 2013 12:07 |  #13

I think that a P&S is an invaluable tool. I don't use it for any jobs, but a number of the photos (photos that otherwise I would not have) end up in the coffee table books that I give to the family as gifts. My P&S is not high end, but it is waterproof which is a necessity for my lifestyle. It's also good for fast video clips.
Get yourself one and try it. I love mine.

1D4, 6D, 7D2, Sony a6000 with Sony16-70, Rokinon 12mmf2, Canon lenses: 17-40L, 17-55 f2.8, 10-22, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 70-200mm IS 2.8, 300mm 2.8 IS, 580EXII (3), 430EX, Alien Bees.

treck_dialect
689 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 12, 2013 12:16 |  #14

The only time i dont use my LX5 is when im on a paid shoot. Its so much lighter and more convenient to bring around than a DSLR. Its also a lot less inconspicuous which lets me just blend with the street/crowd and i feel that that allows me to shoot better since im more relaxed.

well hello
http://aleccorpuz.word​press.com/ (external link)
Flickr (external link)

taemo
Goldmember
1,243 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 12, 2013 12:26 |  #15

whuband wrote in post #16113984 (external link)
I think that a P&S is an invaluable tool. I don't use it for any jobs, but a number of the photos (photos that otherwise I would not have) end up in the coffee table books that I give to the family as gifts. My P&S is not high end, but it is waterproof which is a necessity for my lifestyle. It's also good for fast video clips.
Get yourself one and try it. I love mine.

treck_dialect wrote in post #16114007 (external link)
The only time i dont use my LX5 is when im on a paid shoot. Its so much lighter and more convenient to bring around than a DSLR. Its also a lot less inconspicuous which lets me just blend with the street/crowd and i feel that that allows me to shoot better since im more relaxed.

2 days ago I was looking for a P&S film camera, a Ricoh GR1S or Contax T2 but then I saw the on-going price for one (300$+), that made me wonder why not just buy a small digital P&S like a S95, S100 or S110.
I use my fiance's Panasonic TS3 (great weatherproof camera) from time to time so I might test it out on the street one of these days.

even Daido Moriyama uses P&S cameras on the street
http://vimeo.com/52692​514 (external link)

sponsored links

4,941 views & 0 likes for this thread
Having a small second camera along with your DSLR...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.