Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 12 Jul 2013 (Friday) 16:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

canon 70-200 f2.8 II & Canon 10-22 - water damage - salvage???

ExplicitSnow
449 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 12, 2013 16:33 |  #1

came across an ad on craigslist for 2 canon lenses

70-200 f2.8 II & 10-22

seller says the lenses were in a storage unit that took on heavy rain & the roof leaked

here is the description:

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{

Hello,

I have two high dollar canon lenses here for sale (CHEAP). Be sure to read carefully, because its important to realized WHY these lenses are beyond dirt cheap. Neither of these lenses got to see much action since the time of their purchase (the pair cost me just under ~$4,000.00 at BestBuy). At least in part, the exorbitant cost of this equipment was attributable to the lens protection warranties. Don't ask me how but I somehow let them talk me into the warranty plan,,,NEVER AGAIN! Best buy is convenient, there is no arguing otherwise, but trying to get good advice or service there is like having teeth pulled. For the first time I was able to find my receipt, original boxes...everything!!!!

I thought that I was gonna get a ton of my camera equipment replaced, but instead they voided my warranty and sent me home whining.... The reason that I say all of this is to WARN everyone that these lenses will not meet the criteria for a best buy return. Believe it or not, best buy doesn't keep track of serial numbers so the lens warranties CAN be applied to OTHER lenses which are of the exact same make and model. Apparently, this is the reason that both of these lenses sell so well on Ebay even when they are broken.
ne of the "trade secrets"

The good folks at Public Storage rented me a storage unit without a water tight roof. In fact the unit that they rented me does not appear to have been rain tolerant. Of course that wasn't even a problem for most of 2012, but it eventually abetted the destruction of both these fine camera lenses

Evidently, my unit was leaking so much water during the heavy rains of early April that they basically became "submerged" for an extended period of time. As it turns out, that is a huge problem for me because my warranty does not cover submersion, theft, or incineration. I cannot say for certain what is wrong with either one of these lenses, but corrosion and water damage are the most obvious culprits. Aside from the moisture/battery acid induced oxidation along the inner and outer aspects of the barrel...they don't even attempt to autofocus...In fact my canon t4i refuses to try and shoot with either of these lenses even using manual focus.

Anyway,

Hopefully someone can find a way to salvage some value out of these lenses, because despite all of the corrosion, the glass elements on both of these lenses are simply immaculate. After a good cleaning I'll snap some photos....

Both the front and rear glass elements are perfect on both...Literally no evidence of dropping, scuffing, etc. The only problem was that #($@***& leaky roof!

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{

ive done some google research & come with mixed "reviews" about water damage on lenses...just curious if anyone here has experience with such issues & if either of these lenses would be repairable at a much cheaper cost than buying new/used

thanks

sponsored links
mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 12, 2013 16:42 |  #2

So why isn't the storage unit paying for replacement?

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

SamFrench
870 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 12, 2013 17:56 |  #3

Do storage companies ever cover "contents"?

cheezz
172 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 12, 2013 19:48 |  #4

Cancel the extended warranty from Best Buy. Should give you a prorated refund.

Canon 7D // EF 24-70mm f2.8L USM, EF 85mm f1.8 USM, 50mm 1.8 II Nifty Fifty, EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM kit lens, EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS, 430EX II
Added: EF-S 15-85mm f3.5-5.6
Added: EF 70-200mm f4L IS
Added: 1.4 II TC

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,209 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 12, 2013 19:57 |  #5

how much is he selling them for? i'd take them for free...i don't think i'd offer more than $100 though if you're supposed to pay for them...the description sounds like they are in terrible condition, and in my mind, lack of pictures goes along with that...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,183 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Jul 12, 2013 20:00 |  #6

both lenses would be essentially destroyed. Unless you need something to use as a doorstop or particularly need something in the way of parts, best avoid.

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,209 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 12, 2013 20:02 |  #7

i just looked up the listing, and saw he's asking $500 for them...yeah...i wouldn't pay that at all

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,742 views & 0 likes for this thread
canon 70-200 f2.8 II & Canon 10-22 - water damage - salvage???
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.