Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
Thread started 25 Jun 2013 (Tuesday) 14:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

NEW SOFTWARE "AMASS!" FOR POTN: WHITE PAPER

this thread is locked
CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,336 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 10, 2013 22:35 |  #181

D. Vance wrote in post #16109653 (external link)
I would volunteer, because I genuinely want to help, but methinks it is like the TF; If you ask for it, you won't get it.

True. I'm the same way. I love to be helpful.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

sponsored links
Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 10, 2013 23:23 |  #182

tmwag wrote in post #16109632 (external link)
I don't think boss will allow the hidden gotchas to do as you mentioned. The chosen elite beta testers should... or at least I would think will weed those out....anyway I'm in the club that says take as much time as needed. No hurry..

I didn't state that very clearly. I was replying to a post where it appeared that someone had ants in their pants. My intent was to give my understanding of why the Boss said that it will be ready when it is ready and not a moment sooner. Rushing product to market just because somebody is in a hurry is the poorest of reasons. Where I worked, we would mock management decisions to rush things with the comment, "we don't have time to do things right, but we sure as heck have time to do things over."

D. Vance wrote in post #16109653 (external link)
I would volunteer, because I genuinely want to help, but methinks it is like the TF; If you ask for it, you won't get it.

So by not volunteering, I hereby volunteer. Or something of that nature. :lol:

I believe that beta testing has been going on for quite some time and is probably approaching its conclusion. I assume that when others are asked if they wish to participate in testing, it will be the first RC (release candidate) version of the software. At that point, it isn't a quest for new features, but for testing functionality in a real world environment that is being verified.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
20,886 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2004

Jul 10, 2013 23:43 |  #183

Bill Boehme wrote in post #16109780 (external link)
I believe that beta testing has been going on for quite some time and is probably approaching its conclusion. I assume that when others are asked if they wish to participate in testing, it will be the first RC (release candidate) version of the software. At that point, it isn't a quest for new features, but for testing functionality in a real world environment that is being verified.

The first beta test was for moderators only and this is currently closed as Pekka is in the process of getting the next beta version ready. If this is a moderator only test also I do not know yet.

EDITING OF MY PHOTOS IS NOT ALLOWED

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 11, 2013 00:00 as a reply to  @ tommykjensen's post |  #184

Did I see those menacing fiery red eyes blink or am I having a hyper case of nervousness? :shock:

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.

tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
20,886 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2004

Jul 11, 2013 00:51 |  #185

Bill Boehme wrote in post #16109851 (external link)
Did I see those menacing fiery red eyes blink or am I having a hyper case of nervousness? :shock:

You are imagining things so better make an appointment with your doctor :p

EDITING OF MY PHOTOS IS NOT ALLOWED

Inspeqtor
Chet,You are a genius
7,951 posts
Gallery: 87 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 11, 2013 03:13 |  #186

Bill Boehme wrote in post #16109851 (external link)

Tommy's right eye (left side as we look at them) does blink!!

tommykjensen wrote in post #16109940 (external link)
You are imagining things so better make an appointment with your doctor :p

I just had my yearly eye test last month!!!! :)

Charles
Canon EOS 90D * Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS * Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,899 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Jul 11, 2013 04:21 |  #187

wow Pekka that's a lot of work that you have put in and I am always amazed that you can wrap your mind around the start to finish of what needs to be done and what needs to be covered.

First off let me say that I haven't read all of what you have posted but I have booked for future reading but two comments I would like to make

The world is moving to a flat design, just look at WM8, iOS7 and Android :)

Embedding videos from Youtube etc would be nice.. (that could be there but I haven't read all of it in anyway shape or form)

And wow, I just looked at my start date, 10 years I have been here.

2nd edit: I would like to see the forum open to more than just canon. (and yes that means nikon too) And I would like to even see a section on training. there's a lot to learn and while one can have a sections to a topic and there can be a lot of information on any given topic I would to be nice to have an easy place to find it.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

Pekka
THREAD ­ STARTER
El General Moderator
17,783 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Jul 11, 2013 05:32 |  #188

Mark, you can embed videos.

Other brands will be included in new POTN.

AMASS is very sparse in design elements, no textures or background graphics are used, typography and layout are the most defining aspects. Shadows are used as visual separation because all tools are non-modal. It is very much "flat design" as it is . But trends like flat design come and go, and I want to create a personal experience and a look unique to POTN, not a trendy mass look, so I follow my eye, wits and heart more than trends.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 11, 2013 08:42 |  #189

Pekka wrote in post #16110230 (external link)
... so I follow my eye, wits and heart more than trends.

... and then the trendy masses will be following you.

Iancentric
714 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 11, 2013 11:49 |  #190

Thanks Pekka,
i am amazed at how much time you have put into re thinking and re engineering the whole forum concept. the new site will be amazing..I have read this whole thread, everything you have done makes perfect sense to me (except the coding stuff)
Very excited to see it up and running.

Ian
Flickr (external link)
Tumblr (external link)
instagram (external link)

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,899 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Jul 11, 2013 15:59 |  #191

Mark, you can embed videos.

Other brands will be included in new POTN.

AMASS is very sparse in design elements, no textures or background graphics are used, typography and layout are the most defining aspects. Shadows are used as visual separation because all tools are non-modal. It is very much "flat design" as it is . But trends like flat design come and go, and I want to create a personal experience and a look unique to POTN, not a trendy mass look, so I follow my eye, wits and heart more than trends.

cool :) thanks Pekka

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

JM ­ Photos
"Childhood ruined"
3,374 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 11, 2013 20:14 |  #192

It's always good to go with that you think is better rather than the popular belief. It makes your work unique and makes for an overall better experience in all aspects. I think everyone is super excited for this change!

Canon 6D, & Sony α6000
Own: 24-105mm f/4L | Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 | Rokinon 14mm f/1.8
Want: 24-70mm f/2.8 L II | 70-200mm f/2.8 L II

RafaPolit
Goldmember
1,668 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jul 12, 2013 23:47 |  #193

...and I want to create a personal experience and a look unique to POTN...

This is for me the best thing about it! (and the first thing I noticed). I like VBulletin and I think it caters for a lot (a lot!) of scenarios. And while being immediately familiar with a software (whenever you go to a different site with the same software) is a plus, a unique feel really makes POTN more 'ours', more like a 'fine restaurant' instead of a 'fast food' place, so to speak.

It will require some getting used to, as I'm sure some things that we expect to find in certain places would be in fact somewhere else... but I think this is also a plus as it will encourage us to spend a bit more time on the forum.

Great things to come for sure! Thanks again Pekka!
Rafa.

Rebel T2i | EF-S 17-55 IS | EF 70-200 f4L | EF-S 10-22 | 430EX II |
Picture Galleries at:
www.rafaelpolit.com (external link)

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,336 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 13, 2013 06:25 |  #194

I can only imaging the intensity of a help file or FAQ section for the new POTN. It may get used a lot in the beginning.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

Pekka
THREAD ­ STARTER
El General Moderator
17,783 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Jul 14, 2013 06:21 |  #195

CameraMan wrote in post #16116262 (external link)
I can only imaging the intensity of a help file or FAQ section for the new POTN. It may get used a lot in the beginning.

Actually, it is easier to use than this one. Wait and see :)

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

sponsored links

107,694 views & 8 likes for this thread
NEW SOFTWARE "AMASS!" FOR POTN: WHITE PAPER
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.