Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Jul 2013 (Friday) 18:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do I have focus issues on my 5D Mark III?

Old ­ A1
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 12, 2013 18:30 |  #1

I just purchased a used 5D Mark III and I feel like something in the way it focuses is not right. I hope some of the Mark III owners out there can help me.

Here is the deal - while in the fully automatic mode "A" everything works fine. The camera picks up its subjects and focuses quickly using the shutter button pressed halfway. But when I switch to P, Tv, Av the focus will not work with the shutter button half press, I have to use the AF-ON button for it to activate and get focus. I shot a 30D for many years and never ran across this.

My question - Is this normal? Is it designed this way? Or do I have a software issue in the camera? It has the 1.2.1 Firmware installed.

Thanks for all your help.

Old A1
Canon 5D Mark III, 24 - 105mm 1:4 L IS USM
Canon 30D, EF-S 17 - 85mm
Canon A1, FD 35 - 105mm 1:3.5-4.5, FD 100 - 300mm 1:5.6 FD 24mm 1:2.8

sponsored links
Merlin_AZ
869 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 12, 2013 18:36 |  #2

It's using back-button focus.
If you want to use the shutter button, there are settings to change.
Check Menu CFn2? for the shutter button half-press settings.

Old ­ A1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 12, 2013 18:51 |  #3

Thanks for your hllp Merlin - works like a charm now. Just started learning this camera.

Old A1

Merlin_AZ
869 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 12, 2013 19:19 |  #4

Well, it's a heck of camera to start learning on.
Way to start at the top.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,836 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jul 12, 2013 19:50 |  #5

I would reset all camera settings and CF settings (I think there are 2 separate reset options). This way as you read through the manual, you are not battling the prior owner's settings vs what the factory settings are.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Silverstonev8
732 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 12, 2013 19:53 |  #6

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16115337 (external link)
I would reset all camera settings and CF settings (I think there are 2 separate reset options). This way as you read through the manual, you are not battling the prior owner's settings vs what the factory settings are.

Agreed. And be sure to read through it because it will help tremendously...

Chris -- Gear List

Old ­ A1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 12, 2013 20:12 |  #7

Thanks guys - but the lack of a book is my biggest problem right now. I have been reading the PDF version on the computer but its just not the same as a book. Found one on Ebay - its on the way. I purchased this from a retired guy who said it was to much for him. He lost the book and software etc. I am really looking forward to diving in to this camera.

Old A1

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,306 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jul 12, 2013 20:38 as a reply to  @ Old A1's post |  #8

You can download all the software that would have come with the camera from the canon website at http://www.usa.canon.c​om …rk_iii#DriversA​ndSoftware (external link).

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

bratkinson
643 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 13, 2013 01:25 |  #9

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16115337 (external link)

Although I bought my 5D3 new, after 3 or 4 months, the AF stopped focusing withthe half-press except on "A". I figured it was some setting I had screwed with but tried a number of things and they all failed. So I did a complete 'reset to factory settings' and viola! The AF worked as it always had. All I had to do is re-do all my settings and re-mico-focus 6 lenses. Time consuming, but all is well.

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." General George S Patton, Jr 1885-1945

steve126a
125 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jul 13, 2013 21:24 as a reply to  @ bratkinson's post |  #10

Definitely sounds like you need to reset your settings. Write down any AFMA values you have an Custom Modes and then do the reset.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III | Canon EOS 6D | Canon 85mm ƒ/1.8 | Canon 100mm ƒ/2.8 Macro | Canon 24-70L ƒ/2.8 II | Canon 17-40L ƒ/4 | Canon 70-200LII ƒ/2.8 | Canon 135L ƒ/2| 2 Canon 580EX II's | Canon 430EX II

sponsored links

4,192 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do I have focus issues on my 5D Mark III?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.