Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 Jul 2013 (Thursday) 07:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How can you afford it?

jughandle
69 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 12, 2013 20:02 |  #151

idsurfer wrote in post #16115150 (external link)
They prob. also have to work the crappy night shifts. Of course that is all relative.

Yes they do sir. To take care of the sick, trauma accidents, emergencies and pregnant women in labor. All night long. While everyone is sleeping in their comfy bed.
We take care of your love ones. I guess everybody is making more than the nurses.

sponsored links
idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
5,781 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 12, 2013 21:05 |  #152

jughandle wrote in post #16115379 (external link)
Yes they do sir. To take care of the sick, trauma accidents, emergencies and pregnant women in labor. All night long. While everyone is sleeping in their comfy bed.
We take care of your love ones. I guess everybody is making more than the nurses.

Um, whatever man.....if you saw my other post you would see that I have been in critical care for 10 years. If you think that was 10 years on day shift you're crazy. I've seen it all at 2 am. My point was that 99.9% of the time the travelers are in there working the less desirable shifts for that kind of money. And they are right there next to the local that is just doing their time on nights for much less.

Cory
Sony ⍺6500 | Sigma 56/1.4 | Sony/Zeiss E 24/1.8 | Samyang 12/2
flickr (external link) flickr (external link)
Feedback

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,044 posts
Gallery: 188 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 12, 2013 21:07 |  #153

Nathan wrote in post #16113762 (external link)
I think the problem lies in where people make you feel like you have to defend your hobby. There's an underlying sense from nonphotographers that cheaper cameras (point and shoots and now smartphones) do just fine. They view photography as a frivolous hobby and don't take into account how much their own hobbies/interests cost them.

I think it's partly due to the nature of photography in that people see your collection of tangible items. People don't question people who are into fishing, sailing, golfing, motorbiking, gardening, etc... Photography, to a lot of people - when they see our bodies and lenses - looks like a collector's hobby... that's where they get the impression that it may be a frivolous luxury. Electronics look expensive... all lenses do the same thing, so why do you need so many?

Then there are people who don't have hobbies, per se... but go shopping, partying, drinking... but they never think that these things are out of the norm.

All I can say is that when we have kids, I will probably have to scale back and think more about my purchases... I already do, but it's different when there are mouths to feed, minds to educate.

My wife tried an archery Groupon. I'd love to pick up that hobby. I really enjoy the Zen feeling of pulling back an arrow and releasing.

yes I see your point, however I'm now in my fifties and while my kids were small digital was not around, I used a Russian fully manual SLR and cheap lenses and back then that was a big camera but because it was not a Nikon canon or Olympus it never got a second look. plus most people into photography could not afford cameras the way we can today, an entry level DSLR today can be purchased with a kit lens for under $400 here! And the images from it are as good as any film SLR I ever saw.

Now the kids are grown and we are finally able to pursue our hobbies my husband and I do. We don't own a house due to losses in the 1980s but we have sworn to buy what we want now while we are still working and can afford to. As for what other people think, well I could not give a rats $#@$# what they say, but then had I owned what I have now in my 20s, I still would not have given a rats #$@$% then either :D

5D3 7D2 Fuji X100 Fuji X10 canon glass and the odd shot with other brands
https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link)

jughandle
69 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 12, 2013 21:49 |  #154

idsurfer wrote in post #16115532 (external link)
Um, whatever man.....if you saw my other post you would see that I have been in critical care for 10 years. If you think that was 10 years on day shift you're crazy. I've seen it all at 2 am. My point was that 99.9% of the time the travelers are in there working the less desirable shifts for that kind of money. And they are right there next to the local that is just doing their time on nights for much less.

True, they fill the gap wherever they are needed. Hospitals can save money by this situation instead hiring a full time employee. However, i love photography. It is my artistic outlet. Through overtime in the Operating Room i was able to buy my equipments.

Davidsl222
562 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 12, 2013 22:49 |  #155

An enjoyable thread. Fours years ago I sold almost all my camera equipment and used my wife's hand-me-down XTi and the few lenses that I kept sparingly ever since. I had burned myself out of photography but that's a different thread. (Except to mention that I bought tools and guitars with the money.)

Then about a month ago I got the urge again and bought a used 1DMKIII and then immediately bought three new lenses and now want the 1DX or 1DIV. I have no excuse except that I crave better ISO performance. The 1D3 is a magnificent camera at 1600 but I crave better.

I'm in Glendale CA and see 16 year old kids racing around in $90,000 + cars everywhere. How can they afford them? I don't care and don't want one. I'm happy with my 2008 Nissan and will be for many more years.

There isn't an answer to the original question - is there? We all have different income and have made different choices that bring us to here.

Flickr - Life of David (external link)
Stuff: Canon 5D Mark IV : 400mm f/5.6L : 200mm f/2.8L : 100mm f/2.8 : 24-70mm f/2.8L : 1.4xTC III

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,044 posts
Gallery: 188 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 12, 2013 23:56 |  #156

Davidsl222 wrote in post #16115717 (external link)
There isn't an answer to the original question - is there? We all have different income and have made different choices that bring us to here.

I think for many of us its that we may make different choices yet we all have our wants :D whether we can afford them or not is another story? I too crave a 1D4 but every-time I use my 1D3 and see the images, I ask myself why!!! have to admit that apart from landscapes, I prefer the 1DIII over my 5DII image quality wise, have no idea why

5D3 7D2 Fuji X100 Fuji X10 canon glass and the odd shot with other brands
https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link)

swldstn
977 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 13, 2013 08:30 |  #157

Have to admit I went a little crazy with camera gear. Had a 5D MkII and bought a very lightly used 1D IV for sports. Then they announced the 5D Mk III and it had exactly what I wanted. A better focusing system that improved the quality of my shots because it did get better results. Was happy but a friend put a bug in my ear to trade in both for a single 1D X. Well I sold the 1D IV (in about 2 days) and took the plunge. Problem is I haven't been able to pry the 5D III away because it just does somethings different and IMO its a great all around camera.

So here I am, with two great camera, always convincing my self I need to sell one but, I never do.

As to how I afford it. Well as others have said, I don't drive a fancy car, don't own a boat, and I've only taken three vacations by air travel in the last 35 years. Have to admit I hope to take more in the future. So its a matter of priorities. One vacation = 1 1DX IMO.

I''ve been in love with photography since I built my own darkroom 45 years ago. Now I can finally afford the equipment I always wanted. Which I spent more on gear when my kids were growing up. Scanned 500 rolls of negatives that I took with relatively mainstream film SLR's and lenses and wish I had that to do over again but I at least I do have them.

My recommendation. If your passionate and want to make the leap go for it. Don't regret not getting the shot you want. That said you don't need a 1D X to get great shots. Love my 5D III as well and when I had my previous DSLRs each one was a great new experience as I move from G1, to XTi, to 50D, to 7D/5D II combo, to 5D III to 1Dx.

And you know what, the new mirrorless,like the Fuji X-E1 I'm using open up another horizon. A high quality camera, with changeable lenses, that I can take with me when I need to travel for business. With todays gear there is no real limit on what you can do or how you do it.

If you want a 1D X, can fund it and still meet your obligations, do it. But don't lust after it and put it ahead of other real world priorities, health, happyness and financial security. (The soap box is yours now)

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Love to Shoot - a Digital SLR (and now a Mirroless ILC) are my weapons of choice
Gear List

450newb
81 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 13, 2013 14:37 |  #158

I work obscene amounts of hours, wife is active duty military, 1 pension (3 total incomes), no children + dirt cheap living in North Carolina = disposable income. The fact that I have zero self control when it comes to gadgets and other toys has nothing to do with it. Photography is just a hobby for my, but I enjoy having the good stuff so I will save so I can have the good stuff later rather than something else right now...

1D MARK IV, G9, Canon 8-15 4L USM, Canon 24-70 2.8L USM, Canon 400 5.6L USM, Canon 70-200 2.8L IS, Canon 50mm 1.2L, Canon 16-35 2.8L II, Slik Pro 700 DX Tri-Pod
Nothing or nobody is safe from my hack-kneed photography.

flickserve
835 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 13, 2013 22:02 |  #159

My other hobby is a very frugal one (badminton). I am very frugal on it using old racquets and second hand ones. I don't believe the extra expense on new equipment has a great impact. I spend up to USD$150 a month on it (this includes travelling costs).

Cameras are a bit different though! I'd like to try the 1Dx. In fact I can afford it but I already have a 1DIV! For myself, it's difficult to justify the upgrade. The 1DIV does most of what I ask of a camera.

I will wait for the next generation 1D as that would represent a more significant step up. My kids are still growing and into performances and sports. I like playing around with new equipment and have had many years of foregoing holidays, cars etc in the past.

I don't gamble nor smoke. Alcohol is perhaps once a month.

I very much appreciate that I have good equipment and that many other people aren't able to do so. I also see people with very nice cars (more than two), very nice hi-fi, enjoy fine dining and wines. Camera equipment, as a hobby, is not so different.

bidkev
Goldmember
4,847 posts
Gallery: 2123 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2013

Jul 13, 2013 22:30 |  #160

I don't have a 1D but purchasing the 5Dmk3 has been a huge decision for me. I was in two minds as to whether i should sell my 7d to finance it, but as my son is now showing an interest in phottography, he'll be getting it handed down

Donkeys years ago, all I had was an old Zenit and everything I ever bought was used. I was happy as a pig in shlt when I managed to save enough for a pentax me super and I still think that was a wonderful camera, particularly for mountaineereing as it was so small and light...............bu​t I digress.

I have an autisitc son and have been on home duties/one income family for the past 18 yrs. My wife is a nurse so we aren't exactly flushed with dollars. My other hobby is/was breeding North and central American cichlids. Having never earned for the past 18yrs, I am loathe to spend 5K ona body and my first L glass without at least financing it myself, so I've just sold nearly all my stock (see my sig) and all my fish tanks. I'm still $500 light but as i'm approaching my 65th birthday, my good wife has already presented me with the remainder and the gear is on it's way...............trou​ble is, it'll have to stay hidden for 7 weeks, as the deal is that I can't have it tiill my birthday..............​.am I wetting myself? :lol:

See my fishy photography here: https://kevindickinson​fineartphot.smugmug.co​m/Tropical-Fish-2/ (external link)
Olympus PenF | Olympus OM-D E-M5 mkll x 2 gripped | Olympus OM-D E-M10 mkll gripped | Olympus 12-40 2.8 pro | 14 -150 | 17mm 1.8 | 9mm BCL | Panasonic 12-32 | 25mm 1.7 | Panasonic Leica 8-18 | Panasonic Leica 100-400 | Godox TT685O speedlite

ElectronGuru
427 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 14, 2013 00:13 as a reply to  @ bidkev's post |  #161

450newb wrote in post #16117157 (external link)
dirt cheap living in North Carolina = disposable income

Cost of living is an interesting point. It tends to put income and expenses in terms of percentage. Housing 30%, transportation 20%, food, education, etc. Take two people, each devoting 3% of their personal income to photography. One makes twice as much for the same job, but also pays twice for food, rent, education, taxes. But for things that can be bought from a web site (where cost of living does not apply) - suddenly 3% for the first guy is $3k while the same 3% for the second guy is $1.5K.

"Light is the paint, lenses are brush, sensors are the canvas"
6D | 100L Macro | 50L | 24L TSE
Builder of custom flashlights, OVEREADY.com (external link)

bidkev
Goldmember
4,847 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jul 14, 2013 00:38 |  #162

mileslong24 wrote in post #16115188 (external link)
Traveling RNs will def make more but the 150k comment was out there. The kick with being a traveler is your expenses are covered (food, lodging, gas). So it's not so much what you make rather what you aren't spending. I work in a hospital and don't know a single RN or NP that makes 150k here in Buffalo. As a matter of fact I only know of a handful of PAs that make that much.

Being as the exchange rate (US to Oz)isn't much different atm, my wife has been a nurse for 25yrs and a clinical nurse teacher for the last 18. She works shifts and as I have just done her tax return, it may interest some (wishing to migrate here) that her taxable income this year was 89k............and that's even more than Uk nurses earn.

I guess the USA must value it's nurses more highly.

See my fishy photography here: https://kevindickinson​fineartphot.smugmug.co​m/Tropical-Fish-2/ (external link)
Olympus PenF | Olympus OM-D E-M5 mkll x 2 gripped | Olympus OM-D E-M10 mkll gripped | Olympus 12-40 2.8 pro | 14 -150 | 17mm 1.8 | 9mm BCL | Panasonic 12-32 | 25mm 1.7 | Panasonic Leica 8-18 | Panasonic Leica 100-400 | Godox TT685O speedlite

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
5,720 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 14, 2013 00:58 |  #163

I've read where someone wrote "I work to Live and not Live to work".. Pretty much sums up this whole tread, Different strokes for different folks when it comes to finances, and how they manage there life. Live and let live.. Whatever makes "you" happy..

My Gear flickr (external link)

ElectronGuru
427 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 14, 2013 02:30 |  #164

bidkev wrote in post #16118302 (external link)
I guess the USA must value it's nurses more highly.

More like our health system modivates nurses into retiring early (like my mom) or scares potential nurses from signing up in the first place. Supply goes down so price goes up.

"Light is the paint, lenses are brush, sensors are the canvas"
6D | 100L Macro | 50L | 24L TSE
Builder of custom flashlights, OVEREADY.com (external link)

bidkev
Goldmember
4,847 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jul 14, 2013 02:49 |  #165

ElectronGuru wrote in post #16118432 (external link)
More like our health system modivates nurses into retiring early (like my mom) or scares potential nurses from signing up in the first place. Supply goes down so price goes up.

Is there an under-supply in the USA? They can't even find jobs for new grads here, despite nurses being run off their feet.

Apologies to the OP for going off thread.

sponsored links

19,874 views & 0 likes for this thread
How can you afford it?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.