Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Jul 2013 (Friday) 14:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I tried a 6D at BestBuy today.

Tommy1957
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,288 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Jul 13, 2013 04:39 |  #31

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #16116049 (external link)
Literally every time I go into a Best Buy looking for something I know 10x more about the product than anyone in the store... it's pathetic, I pretty much always insist they leave me alone now after having a half hour debate over why I wanted a Plasma TV over LCD a couple years ago... stupid guy just refused to believe that it was better for my needs :rolleyes:

It must vary by store. I find the locals guys illiterate when it comes to computers, most often. With cameras, at least they know enough jargon to carry on a decent sales pitch. Some of them actually seem familiar with DSLRs and photography.

sponsored links
Lucy ­ Brown
303 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 13, 2013 08:01 |  #32

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #16116049 (external link)
Literally every time I go into a Best Buy looking for something I know 10x more about the product than anyone in the store... it's pathetic, I pretty much always insist they leave me alone now after having a half hour debate over why I wanted a Plasma TV over LCD a couple years ago... stupid guy just refused to believe that it was better for my needs :rolleyes:

People like me and you aren't the norm at Best Buy. The avg cutomer doesn't know jack. Same thing happens when I go buy a new car. I teach the salesman a thing or two about the model I'm shopping for.

EL_PIC
Goldmember
2,028 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 13, 2013 08:29 |  #33
bannedPermanent ban

In this forum ... everyone knows 10x more ...

EL_PIC - RIT BS Photo '78 - Photomask Engineering Mgr
Canon DSLR - Nikon SLR - Phase One 60MP MFDSLR
http://www.Photo-Image-Creations.com (external link)
http://www.musecube.co​m/el_pic/ (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/PhotoImageCreations (external link)

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 13, 2013 11:17 |  #34

powerslave wrote in post #16114502 (external link)
This is a camera that underwhelms on paper, and blows you away in day to day use. Too bad they launched it with the D600. I think that spoiled the 6D's first impression for a lot of people.

The sales these days seems like a good way of reversing that and geenrating good buzz.

bw!

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

gfspencer
179 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 13, 2013 12:27 |  #35

powerslave wrote in post #16115761 (external link)
That's when you go to the photo section and look at photos people take with beat up rebels and 5+ year old xxDs and you feel like selling your gear.

I occasionally indulge myself by buying an expensive guitar. (I don't buy one until I sell at least one.) The guitar does not improve my playing one bit. :oops:

However, I have found that good camera gear helps a little. The low light ability of the 6D is a case in point.

Canon 50D - Canon 7DII - Canon 6D - 16-35mm f/2.8L - 24-105mm f/4[COLOR="red"]L IS - 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - 50mm f/1.2L - 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS - 100-400mm II f/4.5-5.6L IS - Extender EF 2x

Gaarryy
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 13, 2013 12:39 |  #36

I have 3 best buys within a 5 mile radius from me. It's amazing how much each one differs for camera.
One has a very small department area, not much selection
another is bigger, more video oreintated and the staff knows DSLR video very well.
The last one is AWESOME for camera. The staff person has said that they are considered more of a camera store by the company so they have a huge selection of Lens, and Camera's. I've seen a 1DX in there a few times. And like the store the OP went to will do just about anything to help you
I"m not sure how the stores get identified getting like that. The staff says they sell a lot more there and are considered in the top percentage as the reason. Strange to me since there is more higher end stuff to buy there. so naturally they will sell more

---------------Camera, Lens, Flash stuff.. but still wanting more

powerslave
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 13, 2013 12:41 |  #37

gfspencer wrote in post #16116921 (external link)
I occasionally indulge myself by buying an expensive guitar. (I don't buy one until I sell at least one.) The guitar does not improve my playing one bit. :oops:

However, I have found that good camera gear helps a little. The low light ability of the 6D is a case in point.

Of course.

The oft repeated theme that 'people think buying expensive gear will improve their skill x,' I actually believe that only a minority of people buying gear outside their skill level are under that impression. Most people know this and they still buy nicer gear, and here are a few reasons why.

1. GAS. If not now, when?

2. It may not make your pictures better magically, but it is usually better specced and will make things easier with nice to haves.
    For example, playing the guitar on a cheap guitar will make good music too, but it'll be much easier to get that elusive tone you have in your head with better guitars. (This is all very subjective, the $50 guitar tone might be exactly wht you're looking for.)

Also think about the fretboard finish, faster action, thinner neck (if you're into that sort of a thing), tuners holding their tuning, and so on. It's not just about making you a better musician/photographer, it's about making life easier and enabling certain other nice to have luxuries/features.

3. The skill gap - this can go either way. You actually know what you don't know when you have something in front of you that you aren't using properly. Something akin to you can't swim without going in the water.

4. And the biggest factor for me personally. It makes you want to play/shoot more. Keeps you excited. Of course, if you're driven by passion and all that artisty mumbo you'll find a way and blah blah. But nice gear helps. If you bought a Leica M9 tomorrow, you bet your ass you would pick it up every time you get the chance.

The whole argument that 'better gear won't make you a better photographer' is overplayed and a strawman at best.

flickr photostream (external link)
DP2 Merrill | 6D | TS-E24LII | EF24-105L | Fuji X-M1 | XC 16-50

powerslave
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 13, 2013 12:42 |  #38

Gaarryy wrote in post #16116950 (external link)
I have 3 best buys within a 5 mile radius from me. It's amazing how much each one differs for camera.
One has a very small department area, not much selection
another is bigger, more video oreintated and the staff knows DSLR video very well.
The last one is AWESOME for camera. The staff person has said that they are considered more of a camera store by the company so they have a huge selection of Lens, and Camera's. I've seen a 1DX in there a few times. And like the store the OP went to will do just about anything to help you
I"m not sure how the stores get identified getting like that. The staff says they sell a lot more there and are considered in the top percentage as the reason. Strange to me since there is more higher end stuff to buy there. so naturally they will sell more

IT seems like they know what they're doing and have actually used the close locations to 'theme' each one of the stores.

Tommy1957
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,288 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Jul 13, 2013 13:17 |  #39

powerslave wrote in post #16116953 (external link)
...The oft repeated theme that 'people think buying expensive gear will improve their skill x,' I actually believe that only a minority of people buying gear outside their skill level are under that impression....

The whole argument that 'better gear won't make you a better photographer' is overplayed and a strawman at best.

Please allow me to put out there that better gear MAY make you a better photographer. It is not a passive activity, however. YOU have to do the work. You need to realize that you don't know everything, buy a piece of equipment that is beyond your means, then work to master it.

I grew up on manual film cameras. My first digital was a revelation. As was my first digital SLR, my first fast prime, my first long telephoto, my first full frame, my first off-camera flash, and on and on. At every step along the way, I was acquiring equipment that was beyond my skills. I worked at developing a modicum of skill with each and every one of those pieces of hardware.

So yes, acquiring better equipment "may" make you a better photographer. That depends upon how much YOU are willing to put into it. Is is most certainly NOT automatic. I know a wedding shooter whose backup is a 450D, and a hobbyist with a 7D that is always in Green Box or P. He wonders why he has to pop up the flash by himself when it is in P-mode.

powerslave
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 13, 2013 13:20 |  #40

Tommy1957 wrote in post #16117023 (external link)
Please allow me to put out there that better gear MAY make you a better photographer. It is not a passive activity, however. YOU have to do the work. You need to realize that you don't know everything, buy a piece of equipment that is beyond your means, then work to master it.

I grew up on manual film cameras. My first digital was a revelation. As was my first digital SLR, my first fast prime, my first long telephoto, my first full frame, my first off-camera flash, and on and on. At every step along the way, I was acquiring equipment that was beyond my skills. I worked at developing a modicum of skill with each and every one of those pieces of hardware.

So yes, acquiring better equipment "may" make you a better photographer. That depends upon how much YOU are willing to put into it. Is is most certainly NOT automatic. I know a wedding shooter whose backup is a 450D, and a hobbyist with a 7D that is always in Green Box or P. He wonders why he has to pop up the flash by himself when it is in P-mode.

I think you're agreeing with me but your tone makes it sound like I'm from the other camp? :lol:

Tommy1957
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,288 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Jul 13, 2013 13:22 |  #41

powerslave wrote in post #16117029 (external link)
I think you're agreeing with me but your tone makes it sound like I'm from the other camp? :lol:

You are correct. I am agreeing with you. I hate that "better equipment won't make you a better photographer" crap. It certainly can. No offense was intended.

powerslave
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 13, 2013 13:24 |  #42

Tommy1957 wrote in post #16117032 (external link)
You are correct. I am agreeing with you. I hate that "better equipment won't make you a better photographer" crap. It certainly can. No offense was intended.

:) None taken.

Now I'm off with my 6D into the hills. Haven't you bought yours yet? :p

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,133 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Jul 13, 2013 13:29 |  #43

Tommy1957 wrote in post #16115596 (external link)
I just finished running some 12,800 60D raw shots through an updated DPP and LR4. I shot everything at +1EC. I gave them all the same treatment as to exposure, chrominance and luminance NR, then exported to JPG, from both progams. Both LR4 and DPP processed shots look a LOT better than the body-produced JPG.

I didn't see a lot of difference between DPP and LR4. I could have gotten slightly better results by doing each frame individually. I will never do that.

I am pleasantly surprised how well 12,800 shots come out in really good lighting. Still not sure if I need a 6D or better PP skills.

imo, hi ISO shots from croppers that have been cleaned up in post look worked over but I guess it all really depends on an individual's pain threshold and level of denial :D.

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

Tommy1957
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,288 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Jul 13, 2013 13:34 |  #44

powerslave wrote in post #16117033 (external link)
:) None taken.

Now I'm off with my 6D into the hills. Haven't you bought yours yet? :p

Not quite. The only 'real' reason I wanted to get a 6D was for the high-ISO performance in JPG. If I work at it, I can get useable 12,800 shots out of my 60D. The sticking point is whether or not I want to spend that much time processing shots. My 60D jps are good enough for me at 1600, begin to deteriorate badly at 3200, and REQUIRE shooting raw and processing above 3200. Just over 7% of the shots in my LR library are above 1600. However I am venturing more down that road recently.

powerslave
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 13, 2013 14:03 |  #45

Tommy1957 wrote in post #16117050 (external link)
Not quite. The only 'real' reason I wanted to get a 6D was for the high-ISO performance in JPG. If I work at it, I can get useable 12,800 shots out of my 60D. The sticking point is whether or not I want to spend that much time processing shots. My 60D jps are good enough for me at 1600, begin to deteriorate badly at 3200, and REQUIRE shooting raw and processing above 3200. Just over 7% of the shots in my LR library are above 1600. However I am venturing more down that road recently.

That percentage may go up (has in my experience) once you get your hands on a 6D.

sponsored links

7,697 views & 0 likes for this thread
I tried a 6D at BestBuy today.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.