Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Sep 2012 (Monday) 13:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 HSM DG

alann
Goldmember
2,609 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 10, 2013 11:02 |  #3181

I really liked this lens. Had one; sent it back for inconsistent focus. Got another along with the dock and even after adjusting all 4 focal points the lens was just not consistent between indoors/outdoors. Type of lighting also had an affect on accuracy. I decided to send the lens back and sell the dock. Using my 24-70 II for wide shots (I sure do miss that 1.4 at wide angle!). Picked up an 85L II for shallow DOF. If Sigma gets this focus stuff right I will, no doubt, be picking another one up.

My FLickrPage (external link)

sponsored links
Vixen89
Goldmember
4,521 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 10, 2013 11:31 |  #3182

ducphunguyen wrote in post #16107809 (external link)
I've just got my Sigma 35mm F/1.4 yesterday. Found strange noise when holding/tapping/pressi​ng bottom body of the lens. Please see my YOUTUBE video for more detail.
Please let me know if you encounter the same problem.
Thanks,

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=5CGtZhx-ugQ (external link)

Mines arrived last week, and it doesn't do what yours is showing. I haven't MA'ed it or used the USB dock I just bought it just in case though; and so far it shows no signs of inconsistency. I used it indoors at the hospital, in my house, outdoors during a couples session. Everything seems to be in working order. :D

I'm actively lazy!! :D | Gear List | photovxn.com (under construction)external link

GuitarDTO
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 10, 2013 19:30 |  #3183

Ok, so I got my USB dock today and put it to work. I measured and taped the floor at the 4 distances (1ft, 1.3ft, 2ft, inf (15ft)). I had the camera on a tripod, and was shooting at a cereal box that was on a chair. All shots wide open, ISO was at 800 indoors and out, and I adjusted the shutter speed when I went outside. I setup the same way outdoors as well. I took photos at each distance at MA settings of 0, +5, +10, +15 and +20 on my 5D3 (mine never requires MA in the negatives). I then installed the firmware, and repeated the above shots indoors and out.

Indoors Pre-Firmware+10, +20, +13, +11
Outdoors Pre-Firmware +10, +5, +5, +10
Indoors Post-Firmware+10, +10, ~+10, +13 (some of these were acting a little inconsistent)
Outdoors Post-Firmware+10, +10, +10, +10

So basically, I set my 5D3 MA to +10 and took some real world shots inside the house and out. Overall the lens was behaving VERY well, and is without a doubt more consistent inside and outside lighting. The only real world shots that might have been a tad off were infinity outside shots, but I'm willing to accept that, and I don't want to mess with plugging in different MA settings via the USB dock at different focus distances since MOST distances are now behaving very well at +10 when set through the 5D3.

To summarize, the firmware update by itself made a nice difference with my lens. And as a side note, the evil part of me wants to return the dock now that I've got the firmware update : ) muwahahaha (j/k I'm not that type of consumer)

Gear: 5D3, 135L, Sigma 35, 50 1.8 STM, 16-35 F/4L IS, 85/1.8, Fujifilm X100T
Flickr: DavioTheOne (external link)

Sylvia925
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 10, 2013 21:57 |  #3184

HELP! I just bough my copy and am a little concerned with the black vignetting in the corners....is that normal? or should I return this lens....I cannot fix it in LR...thanks!

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!

Please take a look at the two photos, the corners are completely black.

http://www.flickr.com …260117996/in/ph​otostream/ (external link)
http://www.flickr.com …260118026/in/ph​otostream/ (external link)

Sylvia
5D II, Rebel T1i, EFS 18-55 IS, EF 50mm 1.4, Tamron AF 28-75, Sigma 85 1.4, 430EX II
FB: http://www.facebook.co​m/BelliesandBabiesPhot​o (external link)

NoFitState
98 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 10, 2013 22:33 |  #3185

The lens does vignette a fair amount wide open, but it shouldn't be THAT bad!

I'd check that the lens hood wasn't attached incorrectly, and then send it back if that doesn't fix it

5D3 || Canon 135L || Sigma 35 1.4 || Sigma 50mm 1.4 || 600ex-rt || Benro C2682TB1 Tripod || Lowepro Flipside 300 || Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 10, 2013 22:35 |  #3186

Sylvia925 wrote in post #16109597 (external link)
HELP! I just bough my copy and am a little concerned with the black vignetting in the corners....is that normal? or should I return this lens....I cannot fix it in LR...thanks!
IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Please take a look at the two photos, the corners are completely black.

http://www.flickr.com …260117996/in/ph​otostream/ (external link)
http://www.flickr.com …260118026/in/ph​otostream/ (external link)

It looks like your hood is not attached properly. You have to twist it quite hard until it actually clicks into place.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Sylvia925
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 11, 2013 13:51 |  #3187

Makes sense - I did not use the hood at all for these shots...had no clue that hood would make such a difference...Thank You!

Sirrith wrote in post #16109675 (external link)
It looks like your hood is not attached properly. You have to twist it quite hard until it actually clicks into place.

Sylvia
5D II, Rebel T1i, EFS 18-55 IS, EF 50mm 1.4, Tamron AF 28-75, Sigma 85 1.4, 430EX II
FB: http://www.facebook.co​m/BelliesandBabiesPhot​o (external link)

JeremyBlake
531 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jul 11, 2013 19:17 |  #3188

Sirrith wrote in post #16109675 (external link)

Ha. Never noticed that on mine. It still didn't show up or anything, but it did feel a little "loose" before. Thanks. :)

flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Gear | Facebook (external link) | Feedback

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 11, 2013 19:50 |  #3189

Sylvia925 wrote in post #16111389 (external link)
Makes sense - I did not use the hood at all for these shots...had no clue that hood would make such a difference...Thank You!

Wait, so you weren't using the hood before, but once you put it on it fixed the problem?

JeremyBlake wrote in post #16112202 (external link)
Ha. Never noticed that on mine. It still didn't show up or anything, but it did feel a little "loose" before. Thanks. :)

You're welcome :)

-Tom
Flickr (external link)

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
13,086 posts
Gallery: 616 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 12, 2013 16:30 |  #3190

I was close on ordering this lens after looking through the lens sample thread and now I've just spent ages reading through the tail end of this thread and I'm not so sure again! I had a siggy 85 previously and ended up selling due to focus issues. I'm now not sure I want to take the risk again with the S35 as people seem to be having issues with and without the dock.

Wish I hadn't sold my 35L a few months back now

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black
Loxia 21 | FE35
16-35 GM | Tamron 28-75

x0ny
252 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jul 15, 2013 15:40 |  #3191

Just bought the dock. New firmware helped it out and no longer needed MFA at .6 to Inf. just +5 for .3 and .4! Now to wait till it gets darker outside to test out low light capabilities.

Aspiring Photographer. Flickr (external link)

Rui ­ Peixoto
249 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 15, 2013 16:16 |  #3192

This lens is quite fantastic and I'm getting better AF performance than with my previous 35L.

However, I'm noticing my pictures come out with very "cold" tones and usually I need to tweak the WB to make them look more natural. Is anyone noticing the same?

Vixen89
Goldmember
4,521 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 15, 2013 16:21 |  #3193

Rui Peixoto wrote in post #16122938 (external link)
This lens is quite fantastic and I'm getting better AF performance than with my previous 35L.

However, I'm noticing my pictures come out with very "cold" tones and usually I need to tweak the WB to make them look more natural. Is anyone noticing the same?

I noticed it too, but I just bring back in the warm tones and go on me merry way. :D

I'm actively lazy!! :D | Gear List | photovxn.com (under construction)external link

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 16, 2013 01:16 |  #3194

xpfloyd wrote in post #16114814 (external link)
I was close on ordering this lens after looking through the lens sample thread and now I've just spent ages reading through the tail end of this thread and I'm not so sure again! I had a siggy 85 previously and ended up selling due to focus issues. I'm now not sure I want to take the risk again with the S35 as people seem to be having issues with and without the dock.

Wish I hadn't sold my 35L a few months back now

Look at the amount of "issues" on B&H, Adorama and Amazon buyer reviews.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
13,086 posts
Gallery: 616 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 16, 2013 03:44 |  #3195

Sirrith wrote in post #16124145 (external link)
Look at the amount of "issues" on B&H, Adorama and Amazon buyer reviews.

I had a look there and it's similar to here. The majority don't have issues but many still do. I think I'm going to take the plunge anyway and order it today. The fact that there is a dock available that is also cheap does give me some reassurance

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black
Loxia 21 | FE35
16-35 GM | Tamron 28-75

sponsored links

673,750 views & 2 likes for this thread
New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 HSM DG
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.