Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Jul 2013 (Monday) 23:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Camera or lens....

TJays
Goldmember
1,320 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jul 16, 2013 11:01 as a reply to  @ post 16125113 |  #16

For action shots my 7D is my choice, even over my 5D MRKIII using the same lens. The 7D's focus tracking is excellent, and not to far out of reach cost wise for most people. Just my view of the 7D...

Regards
Terri Jean

5D4 Gripped-EOS 1DX Markll -600mm/4.0 II L-35-350mm/3.5 L-70-200/2.8 L-24-70mm/2.8 L-85mm/1.2 II L-50mm/1.2 L

sponsored links
MotorPro
30 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 16, 2013 13:47 as a reply to  @ TJays's post |  #17

As to the original question I think you answered it in the first sentance. "just started shooting","lack of experiance'. You have good equipment. If you want a new camera or lens great but don't expect them to fix the problem only time and practice will do that.

Markd102
649 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined May 2011

Jul 16, 2013 18:11 |  #18

I cut my teeth shooting aussie football games on a manual camera with 400ISO B&W film...... then back to the office to process the film and develop the photos myself.
But there's no way I'd go back to those days. It was most definitely a lot more difficult than today.

NemethR
874 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 17, 2013 03:15 |  #19

Well, fact is you need to LEARN how to use the Autofocus system.
If you use it in the wrong way, there will be less keepers.

Roland | Amateur Photographer
Nikon D850 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 70-200 f/2.8G ED VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8G ED

eyalha
THREAD ­ STARTER
222 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 17, 2013 14:38 |  #20

SkipD wrote in post #16124578 (external link)
I used to photograph motor racing with my Nikon F cameras. These are film cameras and I did not have a motorized film advance. Auto focus did not exist in those days. I had absolutely no problem making a series of shots in rapid succession while advancing the film manually between shots AND changing the focus between shots while following the action with the camera.

Every other sports photographer in the day had roughly the same type of equipment available and I don't recall a shortage of good sports photographs being published.

In other words, I would not blame the camera for not being up to the job. :rolleyes:

I said in the beginning that some of the OOF shoots I get are due to my lack of experience, so all the "back in the day we shoot amazing photos with a disposable camera" is'nt really necessary

Aside from that I'm starting to lean towards the 5d3 as I rather have 1 body
and a lot of people told me it'll be better then the 7d, I can even use a 1.4 teleconvertor
to match the 7d reach and the better ISO capabilities of the 5d3 will make up for the loss of 1 stop of light

Thank you all for your comments! they are very much appreciated

5D2, 24-70L F2.8, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 50 F1.4, 70-200L F4 IS, 100-400 F4.5-5.6 II, 430EX II X 2, A few Pocketwizards

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jul 17, 2013 14:43 |  #21

eyalha wrote in post #16128955 (external link)
I said in the beginning that some of the OOF shoots I get are due to my lack of experience, so all the "back in the day we shoot amazing photos with a disposable camera" is'nt really necessary

My Nikon F cameras (which I still have, by the way) are far from "disposable cameras". The point I was making is that they (and most other SLR cameras from the mid 1960s) are totally manually operated film cameras. The photographer using them has to choose the film (both type of film and ASA speed - similar to today's ISO values), advance the film manually for each frame, set the aperture and shutter speed based on a light meter and/or experience for exposure control, and manually focus the lens for each shot.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

eyalha
THREAD ­ STARTER
222 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 17, 2013 14:56 |  #22

I understand all of that, my dad is an events shooter and used the Nikon F cameras back in the day but now he got a 5d3 and it makes photographing EASIER
I'm not a full time pro most of what I photograph is unpaid so I just want a "tool" that will make taking a sport photos easier even thou I know I will get better regardless
P.S I'm going to buy it in a few month anyway because I need to save up

5D2, 24-70L F2.8, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 50 F1.4, 70-200L F4 IS, 100-400 F4.5-5.6 II, 430EX II X 2, A few Pocketwizards

sponsored links

2,616 views & 0 likes for this thread
Camera or lens....
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.