Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 16 Jul 2013 (Tuesday) 18:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon is making me sick!

Pepe ­ Guitarra
800 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 16, 2013 18:21 |  #1

Yes, since I switched to Canon, I have had to endure heavy cameras with heavy lenses. I have accepted the extra work with pleasure, the reward is in the final product. However, I just realized that some of the pulled-muscles, back-aches, side-aches, neck-aches may have to do with the heavy load I endure. For instance, for 15 days,during my vacation, I carried the 5DII plus the 24-105/4 from my R7 over my right shoulder: I developed a pain on the left side of the hip. For the combination 1DIII+Sigma 120-300/2.8 OS, I have to carry the set either on my right or left hand, or keep changing. After a while. I cannot hold it anymore. The one that causes less trouble is the 7D+ 400/5.6. In any case, I am getting pains all over, and spending time at the massage parlor, or chiropractor. I never had this before. After three or four days of break, I decided to take my Pentax K5 with a 50mm/4 macro for a walk. It is not heavy, and I put the strap around my neck! No good, I felt the neck pain, and then when I bent to shota flower, I had a backache. I just turned 60, but I have excercised all my life and have no medical issues. I have the feeling it is the heavy Canon. My co-worker got a hernia and his wife blamed his Canon set up (he did carry the whole line). He finally sold every Canon lens andcamera and moved to Leica. Has anyone felt the same thing?

It's not a photo until you print it! :cool:
Click here (external link), this is myflickr (external link) gallery

sponsored links
steamstash
55 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Jul 16, 2013 18:28 |  #2

From my perspective all that matters is the final product. But I'm also 20 years old and don't have back problems...

Coffee, Music, and Photography.
http://www.garysheer.c​om (external link)

tuanvo
29 posts
Joined May 2013

Jul 16, 2013 20:43 as a reply to  @ steamstash's post |  #3

Some weightlifting will fix that.

Haven't had a back problem ever since I started doing heavy squats and deadlifts.

Gear List

Grumps ­ Photo
Suffering Keyboard in Mouth desease
2,012 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Jul 16, 2013 21:16 |  #4

I have the 5DII with grip and use the 24-105 or 24-70 along with the 1DIII that would have the 70-200 2.8 L IS and an extender on it. The best resolution for carrying was the Rapid system, it carries the weight across the body and your not always shrugging camera straps into place or making weird bends to take a picture without loosing a camera. No load on the neck either. Nice that the cameras stay within easy reach too.
I'm 55, slightly overweight and active. Lots of previous sports/work/accident injuries to contend with, but a good back.
I've carried this setup through full day treks in winter and summer, snowshoeing or hiking mountain trails. Been a little stiff, but nothing at all like you described.
I've been in recent discussions in another forum here about Cotton Carriers, sounds like a possible solution for you too.
Raise more questions with your doctor or your muscular/skeletal condition.
Yes, the gear is heavy, but the results are magnificent. From your description, the carrying meathod could be the issue.

Grumps
(aka Jim or JAZZ D.P.G.)
1DsMKIII, 1DMKIII, T6s, D60, L's, DO, USM, other lens, flashes, studio gear (but no studio!) Olympus TG3
grumpsphoto.com

Evan ­ Idler
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined May 2005

Jul 17, 2013 00:09 |  #5

Pepe, the real question is how many hours per week have you been carrying the Canon
with the Big lens since you got it, compared to the other lenses, or the Pentax with the 50?
I know you have been enjoying the new Sigma, so isn't it worth it. I know I think mine is :-)

You just need to pick up a Walk Stool, a nice monopod or tripod with a Gimbal Head, and
learn to sit and relax and let the birds come to you (and don't forget to bring a cooler with
a couple cold beverages).

--Evan

Canon5DIII + Some L + Some non L + Some Sigma + Some Tamron + other stuff....
Patiently awaiting a winning Lottery Ticket to afford all the toys I would really like :-P

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Jul 17, 2013 00:29 |  #6

If you're looking for an excuse to get a Leica do it!

I really like the less is more mentality, my favorite camera is a $5 film compact.

I have more fun with that than I do with my DSLR.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

Pepe ­ Guitarra
THREAD ­ STARTER
800 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 17, 2013 18:25 as a reply to  @ maverick75's post |  #7

Any opinions on this camera?

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …t_DSC_RX1_Full_​Frame.html (external link)

It's not a photo until you print it! :cool:
Click here (external link), this is myflickr (external link) gallery

Evan ­ Idler
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined May 2005

Jul 18, 2013 23:33 |  #8

How about a Canon SL1 for walking around, when your not using the 5DII or 1DIII?

--Evan

Canon5DIII + Some L + Some non L + Some Sigma + Some Tamron + other stuff....
Patiently awaiting a winning Lottery Ticket to afford all the toys I would really like :-P

sponsored links

1,187 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon is making me sick!
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.