Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Mar 2011 (Saturday) 23:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

60D and a SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I

megrac
635 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 12, 2011 23:57 |  #1

Hi, is there anyone here with a 60D and one of these SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I cards?
I know the 60D doesn't support the uhs cards but it should still perform like a good class 10 card?
I would like to know your buffer clear time after doing a full 16 shot burst. Currently i have a Lexar Platinum II 8gb class 6 and its totaly crap, it takes 55sec to fully clear its buffer after 16 shots. I have tried a friends cheap Apacer Class 10 card and that clears the buffer in 25sec.

Thanks.

60D | Canon 15-85 | Canon 200mm f/2.8L II | Canon 400mm f/5.6L | 580EX II. And a heap of Astrophotography gear.

sponsored links
Bokehlicious
809 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 13, 2011 01:35 |  #2

It will work as well as a class 10 card. Works fine on my friend's 550D.

LorenHa
38 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 13, 2011 07:59 as a reply to  @ Bokehlicious's post |  #3

Thank God for Google.

I was just starting research on both the Extreme Pro and the Extreme III.

So if both were theoretically aligned in price, like say $85 and $90 for the Pro, there would be no point in getting the Pro and paying extra for it?

I have Lexar Class 6 as well and after a short period of bliss (with my new camera!!) I took a trip down to Seattle and after a bit of shooting, I tried shooting video and it failed miserably as my videos would very often cut out after 15 seconds with the infamous "Video has stopped recording automatically" buffer error. This was also happening with the PNY Class 10 cards I was using before when I was comparing between the Class 6 Lexars and Class 10 PNY.. both would eventually cut out at around 2-3 minutes, sometimes not, all about luck. I have read that essentially, there isn't much choice if you want absolute reliability and performance, and that is the Sandisks, bar-none.

Canon 60D
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 VC | Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 IS L | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8
Nikon NIKKOR 50mm f/1.2 AI-S | Nikon NIKKOR 28mm f/2.8 AI-S
Canon 430EX II + Velbon Sherpa 435 + Crumpler Industry Disgrace + Lowepro SlingShot 200AW
LorenHa.com (external link) | flickr (external link)
http://flickr.com/lore​nha (external link)

megrac
THREAD ­ STARTER
635 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 13, 2011 12:58 |  #4

I can seem to find better pricing here in NZ on the Extreme pro uhs cards than the Extreme 30mb/s class 10 cards so that is why i was asking. It would be good to find someone with a uhs card to do a buffer clearing time test.

60D | Canon 15-85 | Canon 200mm f/2.8L II | Canon 400mm f/5.6L | 580EX II. And a heap of Astrophotography gear.

megrac
THREAD ­ STARTER
635 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 15, 2011 23:13 |  #5

I picked up a Sandisk extreme 30mb/s class 10 card and it clears a full buffer in 16sec so that a big improvment.
The camera is alot more responsive to deleting and general file usage. I'm very happy.

gigolo
56 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 18, 2013 00:35 as a reply to  @ megrac's post |  #6

I use a SanDisk Extreme Pro 16GB UHS-I 95MB/s card on my 60D and it works fine, but not as fast as it could work on newer cameras because 60D doesn't support UHS-I and maxes-out at 21MB/s. So, the best card to buy for 60D is SanDisk Extreme UHS-I 45MB/s which is cheaper. I also have a SanDisk Ultra 32GB 30MB/s card which is slower than 60D's 21MB/s maximum capability. Note that UHS-I cameras from Canon, like 6D or 700D/100D/EOS-M, are still limited at 40MB/s even though they support the UHS-I cards. If you need a camera with fast write speeds, it's better to choose a CompactFlash camera: 50D writes at 70MB/s and 5D Mark III writes at 100MB/s at its CompactFlash slot (and 21MB/s at its SD card slot).

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,806 posts
Joined May 2003

Jul 18, 2013 07:48 |  #7

Just a point of interest, people are responding to a thread over two years old.

Tommy1957
Goldmember
1,288 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Jul 18, 2013 07:54 |  #8

I use two different cards in my 60D. Both are 16GB.

1.) Patriot 16GB class 6 - clears a buffer of 16 raw shots in 17-18 seconds.
2.) Sandisk 16GB Extreme Class 10 - clears a buffer of 16 raw shots in 14-15 seconds.

The only difference I notice in general useis that the class 10 formats a lot faster.

sponsored links

8,813 views & 0 likes for this thread
60D and a SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.