Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 17 Jul 2013 (Wednesday) 17:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Are photographers introverts?

Antarion
104 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 18, 2013 07:18 |  #16

I can see your point. I've seen many male photographer who are gear addicted and kinda nerdy overall. Its like the stereotype of some pc nerd having not much friends (only online) and enjoying his technical know how. But when it comes to human interaction...well.
Could also explain all the "wows" for the stranger projects on photography boards. Photographers who are brave enough to talk to people if they can take a pic are somewhat super respected on here, as if they have superman skills.

Probably is all wrong though, but it's a funny impression

sponsored links
Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 18, 2013 08:03 |  #17

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #16129941 (external link)
The best photographers I know (at least those who shoot / deal with people) are utterly schizo...

They are wildly outgoing (to the point of obnoxious smart asses) in handling people but they're almost clinically depressed in how they view their own validity and skill before and after the shoot.

The most utterly talented photographers I have ever met have been 100% batsh!t crazy. Of course I can say that about several professions. I swear its almost like you have to have a manic side to be a real genius.

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

CAL ­ Imagery
Goldmember
3,375 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 18, 2013 10:43 |  #18

airfrogusmc wrote in post #16130286 (external link)
I think either you are or you're not. I mean you can become more extroverted if you're an introvert if you really work at it but it takes all kinds in this world and I like the fact that there are different people in the world that think differently and have all different kinds of personalities.

Yes, you're either E/I. My sister is pretty introverted and can be social, but guess what, the first she does when she goes home is to lock herself in her room to "unwind" for a few hours. When I return from a social event, it takes me a longtime to wind down, conversely, because I'm so full of energy from being around people. For me, the more the merrier.

FWIW, from what I've read, E/I is the really only "quantifiable" portion of MBTI. The rest is really just theory.

Christian

OhLook
THREAD ­ STARTER
Spiderwoman
17,851 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 18, 2013 11:26 |  #19

CAL Imagery wrote in post #16131477 (external link)
FWIW, from what I've read, E/I is the really only "quantifiable" portion of MBTI. The rest is really just theory.

I don't have complete confidence in the test. It's self-administered and, as such, is vulnerable to test takers' illusions about themselves. For instance, one item asks whether, when you enter a room, you stand near a wall or go to the center. A person might think "I'm pretty shy and cautious, so I guess I stand near a wall" but in fact go to the centers of real rooms and not realize that this is habitual.

But if introversion isn't the answer, is there another personality difference that makes some people think of photography as nothing but a way to prove they went on vacation and makes other people want to practice it as an art form?

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
35,895 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Jul 18, 2013 11:50 |  #20

OhLook wrote in post #16131622 (external link)
I don't have complete confidence in the test. It's self-administered and, as such, is vulnerable to test takers' illusions about themselves. For instance, one item asks whether, when you enter a room, you stand near a wall or go to the center. A person might think "I'm pretty shy and cautious, so I guess I stand near a wall" but in fact go to the centers of real rooms and not realize that this is habitual.

But if introversion isn't the answer, is there another personality difference that makes some people think of photography as nothing but a way to prove they went on vacation and makes other people want to practice it as an art form?

I took it when I was the staff photographer in a large organization so it was administered in a controlled environment by a qualified tester. If you answer honestly then in that environment it should be fairly accurate.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 18, 2013 11:56 |  #21

Fernando wrote in post #16131007 (external link)
The most utterly talented photographers I have ever met have been 100% batsh!t crazy. Of course I can say that about several professions. I swear its almost like you have to have a manic side to be a real genius.

Whilst shooting and/or expounding on photography they may come off as BSC, but many go home afterwards racked with self doubt and are usually their own worst critic.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

taemo
Goldmember
1,243 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 18, 2013 11:59 |  #22

not saying everyone is but I can see portrait/people photographers being more extrovert, where as landscape/macro/wildli​fe shooters are more introvert.

earldieta.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - tumblr (external link) - gear/feedback
the spirit is willing but the body is sore and squishy
4 digital cameras | 14 film cameras

saturnin
Goldmember
1,987 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 18, 2013 12:00 |  #23
bannedPermanent ban

extrovert here

http://www.saturninflo​yd.tumblr.com (external link) samples
http://www.asphaltjunk​iez.com (external link) - award winning filmmaker - 3 documentaries done, more to go. I'm not wasting this 1 life.
Gear is gear, gotta do wif what you got! This forum makes me bite my tongue like no other forum i've ever been on :)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,275 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 18, 2013 12:54 |  #24

Issue is not extroversion vs. introversion, I think that lots of photographers are inherently shy and reluctant (or find it difficult) to interact with people they do not know in a purely social setting. That is why you read about so many folks taking so-called 'portraits' (really 'candids') from 25 or 30' away using a long lens...it avoids interaction. And if you suggest portrait sessions at 8-10' away, they dislike being 'so close'.
And lots of 'landscape' or 'macro' enthusiasts can be absorbed without the need to interact with people.

OTOH, there are wedding and portraiture photographers who interact with people a lot during the process of getting ready or helping select photos for albums and framing, etc., or who interact with art directors for product shots, etc.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

saturnin
Goldmember
1,987 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 18, 2013 12:57 |  #25
bannedPermanent ban

interaction is a huge part of being a photographer when it comes to shooting people, its a must.

http://www.saturninflo​yd.tumblr.com (external link) samples
http://www.asphaltjunk​iez.com (external link) - award winning filmmaker - 3 documentaries done, more to go. I'm not wasting this 1 life.
Gear is gear, gotta do wif what you got! This forum makes me bite my tongue like no other forum i've ever been on :)

CAL ­ Imagery
Goldmember
3,375 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 18, 2013 13:02 |  #26

OhLook wrote in post #16131622 (external link)

For questions like that, I'd answer what's most comfortable. There are also ones asking if you want to spend a night on the town or reading a book. Well, I'd answer which activity with which you're more comfortable, excluding extenuating circumstances.

If you take enough tests, or read the descriptions, you'll get a good enough grasp to see if the results actually apply to you.

Christian

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 18, 2013 13:04 |  #27

And then there are those who are simply great actors or actresses...

Jay

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

airfrogusmc
35,895 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 18, 2013 13:08 |  #28

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #16131904 (external link)
And then there are those who are simply great actors or actresses...

But then what would be the point, A test like that only really works if you are honest. And there is no one type better than the other, just different.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 18, 2013 13:17 |  #29

airfrogusmc wrote in post #16131921 (external link)
But then what would be the point, A test like that only really works if you are honest. And there is no one type better than the other, just different.

I'm not talking about tests. I'm talking about real life...

Many people "screw on a pair" to do what they have to do. They paint on a smile to get through the day or to do the job but when it's over, they curl up in a ball in the corner and wonder why they're even bothering to try.

Test people all you want but the arts are rife with eminent fronts and veils behind which people aren't as happy or together as you think.

Smokey Robinson didn't sing about the "Tears Of The Happy Go Lucky" ;)

Jay

airfrogusmc
35,895 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 18, 2013 13:20 |  #30

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #16131938 (external link)
I'm not talking about tests. I'm talking about real life...

Many people "screw on a pair" to do what they have to do. They paint on a smile to get through the day or to do the job but when it's over, they curl up in a ball in the corner and wonder why they're even bothering to try.

Test people all you want but the arts are rife with eminent fronts and veils behind which people aren't as happy or together as you think.

Smokey Robinson didn't sing about the "Tears Of The Happy Go Lucky" ;)

Ok I see and it happens all the time even to extroverts. You should never let the client see that you are not having a great day.

sponsored links

9,620 views & 0 likes for this thread
Are photographers introverts?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.