Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Jul 2013 (Thursday) 18:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is it wrong to shoot high ISO >600

x0ny
252 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jul 18, 2013 18:02 |  #1

I've been shooting with my 5DII for a year now after upgrading from a Rebel XTI (5 years with that). With the Rebel, I always hated the noise when I went above 400 ISO so I always shot in 100-200. With my 5DII I notice I'm doing the same and I hesitate to shoot above 400 sometime especially in lowlight situation being afraid of noise or the loss of dynamic range. Is it wrong to be afraid of shooting higher than 600 ISO? Are there any other Photog out there that hesitate to shoot above 600 ISO on the 5D line up?

Aspiring Photographer. Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Merlin_AZ
869 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 18, 2013 18:10 |  #2

You do what you have to if you need to get faster shutter speeds.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 18, 2013 18:13 |  #3

I'll shoot up to iso 6400. So long as you get the exposure right and you have a good post processing workflow it's not too big a deal. When I'm shooting with bounced flash indoors I'll shoot between iso 800 and 1600.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

TustinMike
Goldmember
3,641 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 18, 2013 18:15 |  #4

Hmmm, nothing to be afraid of - go for it and see what happens ! You can do quite a lot in post to reduce noise (Lightroom 4 is great for this, I've found).

Have you read the book "Understanding Exposure", by the way ? You may find it helpful.

All New Year, All New Sig !

usdm
212 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Jul 18, 2013 18:15 |  #5

x0ny wrote in post #16132743 (external link)
I've been shooting with my 5DII for a year now after upgrading from a Rebel XTI (5 years with that). With the Rebel, I always hated the noise when I went above 400 ISO so I always shot in 100-200. With my 5DII I notice I'm doing the same and I hesitate to shoot above 400 sometime especially in lowlight situation being afraid of noise or the loss of dynamic range. Is it wrong to be afraid of shooting higher than 600 ISO? Are there any other Photog out there that hesitate to shoot above 600 ISO on the 5D line up?

Stop being afraid, and give it a try. You may be very surprised by the results you get.

http://imagedphotograp​hy.com (external link)
Seeker of the "AH HA" moments....

Muteki
200 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 18, 2013 18:32 |  #6

I shoot at ISO 3200 with my 5D2 at night without any issue. Five years ago, when I use my Rebel XSi, I never hesitate to max out the ISO at 1600, and the resulting noise is manageable if the exposure is good. I just don't get why people still try to keep their ISO low (<= 800) when the sensors are generally pretty good these days.

Raymond

Gears| (external link)Flickr |  (external link)5∞px (external link)|  (external link)Facebook (external link)

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 18, 2013 18:37 as a reply to  @ usdm's post |  #7

Well, I don't have a mkII, but I would use 3200 on my original 5D if I needed too and the results were pretty good so long as I didn't underexpose (it won't go any higher than 3200). With my 5D mkIII I have shot at 12,800 when needed and, whilst noise is clearly present when pixel peeping, with some light NR and viewed at output size (so not peering at a 5 foot wide picture from 18" away, viewing it on the computer at 100%) it looks fine.

Limiting yourself to ISO 400 (or 600) is totally unnecessary. Heck, even my ancient 20D could go higher than that and still turn in great results.

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Jul 18, 2013 18:42 |  #8

I max out my 10 year old 10D all the time at 1600, as long as you nail exposure there shouldn't be an issue.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

Copidosoma
Goldmember
1,017 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 18, 2013 19:06 as a reply to  @ maverick75's post |  #9

Depends a bit on the output and your processing.

For most prints and viewing online I wouldn't give high isos a second thought. Just do it.

For something where someone is going to be peeking at your images at 100% zoomed in (stock submissions, really big prints) I'd be more careful. Although even the 5DII should be fine at 800 if you expose the image properly in the first place.

Extreme post processing (I find Topaz adjust really brings out the noise) can show noise more as well.

As above, try it and see what YOU think. Maybe make some prints and see how big of a deal it really is. You might be surprised.

And stop zooming in past 50%.

Gear: 7DII | 6D | Fuji X100s |Sigma 24A, 50A, 150-600C |24-105L |Samyang 14 2.8|Tamron 90mm f2.8 |and some other stuff
http://www.shutterstoc​k.com/g/copidosoma (external link)
https://500px.com/chri​s_kolaczan (external link)

x0ny
THREAD ­ STARTER
252 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jul 18, 2013 19:23 |  #10

Copidosoma wrote in post #16132907 (external link)
Depends a bit on the output and your processing.

For most prints and viewing online I wouldn't give high isos a second thought. Just do it.

For something where someone is going to be peeking at your images at 100% zoomed in (stock submissions, really big prints) I'd be more careful. Although even the 5DII should be fine at 800 if you expose the image properly in the first place.

Extreme post processing (I find Topaz adjust really brings out the noise) can show noise more as well.

As above, try it and see what YOU think. Maybe make some prints and see how big of a deal it really is. You might be surprised.

And stop zooming in past 50%.

I think this is one of my problem. So even for standard 5x7 or 8x10 print it should be okay at high ISO? Should the image be slightly overexpose when shooting at high ISO like 3200 to reduce/help out with the noise?

Aspiring Photographer. Flickr (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,716 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 18, 2013 19:37 as a reply to  @ x0ny's post |  #11

Search the forum for ETTR, I'd find a good thread for you but I'm I on my phone.

:D

I get good results with my XSi at 800, so I'm certain your 5DII would be fine at 1600 with a good exposure. Especially for 5x7s.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

brettjrob
Dr. Goodness PHD
470 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 18, 2013 19:46 |  #12

If you're shooting landscapes and want absolutely pristine files, then I can see staying below ISO 800 even on FF. For just about anything else, I can't imagine even ISO 3200 being too bad, at least based on my experience with the 6D. If you invested in the 5D2, you might as well take advantage of it. I'm pretty sensitive to noise and tried not to go above ISO 400 on my 450D, but have gotten some results at ISO 2000 on the 6D I'm happy with.

Nikon D610, D5100
Samyang 14/2.8 | Nikon 18-35G, 24-85G VR, 70-200/4G VR

Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | skyinmotion.com (external link)
Feedback

thirtyfivefifty
171 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 18, 2013 20:02 |  #13

Why should it be wrong?
Consider your application.
Print looks way different than backlit on-screen viewing.

Shot with a 40D. I enjoyed shooting throughout the 100-1600 base range, but I prefered to shoot no more than 1250, generally speaking because detail deteriorated. Landscape, I'd bring out the tripod, and drop the ISO, of course.

Now that I currently have a 5D2, I'm comfortable up to 3200. People enjoy my prints up to 8x12 (the max I've printed). They were gorgeous. The detail and tonality compared to the 40D was eye opening. Can't go back!

In both the 40D and 5D2, exposure is critical, and focus. Focus wrecked my photos more than noise did. Noise can be cleaned up a bit. Focus can't.

tools

3Rotor
783 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2009

Jul 18, 2013 20:05 |  #14

I shoot 800-1600 on a regular basis, what ever I need to do to bump up the shutter speed.

Instagram (external link)
www.jessemak.com (external link)

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 18, 2013 20:17 |  #15

Here are some ISO 6400 images.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1174.photobuck​et.com …304aa0000_zps70​74734a.jpg (external link)

http://i1174.photobuck​et.com …09bba0091_zpsec​ed86a5.jpg (external link)

http://i1174.photobuck​et.com …1231c0141_zpsf0​1d028e.jpg (external link)

Now, the Camera Police tried to stop me from taking these pictures because I was using ISO 6400 and everyone "knows" it's wrong to use high ISOs. However, I talked the Camera Police out of making an arrest. How did I do that? I told them that I have Imagenomic Noiseware noise reduction  (external link)software. When I finished taking the pictures, I ran them through Noiseware, and the program controlled the noise. Remember how important post-processing is supposed to be? Well, Noiseware is one part of that post-processing. There are several good noise reduction programs available and since they've been invented, there's no longer any reason to fear ISO 6400.

sponsored links

9,296 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is it wrong to shoot high ISO >600
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.