Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 17 Jul 2013 (Wednesday) 17:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Are photographers introverts?

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 18, 2013 13:21 |  #31

airfrogusmc wrote in post #16131945 (external link)
Ok I see and it happens all the time even to extroverts. You should never let the client see that you are not having a great day.

Exactly...

But to the OP, the answer is "Yes, No, Maybe, Depends..."

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

sponsored links
airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
35,895 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Jul 18, 2013 13:31 |  #32

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #16131948 (external link)
Exactly...

But to the OP, the answer is "Yes, No, Maybe, Depends..."

Exactly. Winogrand was an extrovert as was Adams. Weston was an introvert. All great photographers.

OhLook
THREAD ­ STARTER
Spiderwoman
17,851 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 18, 2013 14:14 |  #33

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #16131938 (external link)
Test people all you want but the arts are rife with eminent fronts and veils behind which people aren't as happy or together as you think.

Just one example, Marilyn Monroe had severe stage fright. She sometimes stayed in her trailer all day and held up shooting when she was supposed to be doing a scene.

I like being with people (well, some people), but I don't feel motivated to take pictures of them for souvenirs or mementos. Photos of that kind are more like small talk than like dialogue.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

CAL ­ Imagery
Goldmember
3,375 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 18, 2013 17:50 |  #34

Johnny Depp is also pretty interesting. He needs no introduction, but have you ever seen an interview with him? It's one of the most painful things you'll witness. He's super-shy or introverted.

Christian

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 18, 2013 18:58 |  #35
bannedPermanent ban

Depends....:) To seek your artistic version, maybe a bit of self reflection is needed. To shoot for clients, you really want to be more outgoing and to provide good customer service. I mean, if your clients do not like your shots, you aren't going to tell them "tough luck" because that's the way you see your shots. :)

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,823 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Jul 18, 2013 19:37 |  #36

I've been comfortable around people for as long as I can remember. I interacted with adults from an early age. Over the years, I've made my living in various sales jobs including providing automation equipment to manufacturers who assembled printed circuit boards. I'm also a fine finish carpenter.

That being said, I get my strength from more solitary forms of entertainment. I love listening to music, reading books (yes, there are still some of us left), reading forums online ;), etc. Photography is both a solitary activity and one I enjoy with my wife. We often shoot together and I find this relaxing as well.

I guess like most people, I'm a mixture of introvert and extrovert. I find people interesting so I'm not a recluse, but I need alone time to function at my best.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
35,895 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Jul 18, 2013 21:52 |  #37

I can only really do serious work alone but if I'm on the street I have all of those subjects as company and I'm up close and very personal with my street work. Looking and waiting for the visual elements to come together. I like to use repeating shapes leading lines, contrasting tones, visual rhythms and other visual elements because those things are important for me to have in my work. I shoot with a 35mm lens on a FF rangefinder so it is right there not a half block away and I love it.

CAL ­ Imagery
Goldmember
3,375 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 19, 2013 00:28 |  #38

Yeah, I usually fly solo when shooting, as well. I suppose, partially, I don't know many other photographers, there it's worse than watching paint dry or baseball. It's kinda interesting in that I have a very upbeat, fast (I don't want to necessarily say high strung) personality, photography relaxes me and slows me down. After I click a few frames, I start to zone out into my own world.

Christian

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jul 19, 2013 01:00 |  #39

It's not a team sport, it's a hobby one does alone.

You can either be in the moment or see it through the viewfinder. Not both. Interaction with people is not photography.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 19, 2013 01:34 |  #40

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #16133693 (external link)
It's not a team sport, it's a hobby one does alone.

You can either be in the moment or see it through the viewfinder. Not both. Interaction with people is not photography.

What about if your subjects are people...?

Jay

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jul 19, 2013 01:47 |  #41

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #16133736 (external link)
What about if your subjects are people...?

You're still behind the camera...

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

skygod44
"in stockings and suspenders"
6,428 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008
Location: Southern Kyushu, Japan. Which means nowhere near Tokyo!

Jul 19, 2013 01:53 as a reply to  @ FlyingPhotog's post |  #42

I think the question is too broad.

Some disciplines within photography can naturally attract people who are - for want of a better description - "introverted".

While in other areas, it's the "extroverted" nutters who're going to be successful.

Certainly, this is true in many walks of life - not all - but isn't this one of the joys of photography? Pretty much any "type" of person can enjoy it.

Regards,

Simon
[Who is feeling a bit introverted this afternoon....but might be rather extroverted tomorrow!]
;)

"Whatever you do, enjoy yourself...otherwise, what's the point."
6D/7D and ALL Canon/Sigma gear SOLD!!!! Now: Olympus PEN EP-5 & OM-D EM-5 Mk2 and 8 lenses!

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 19, 2013 02:02 |  #43

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #16133752 (external link)
You're still behind the camera...

But good people shooters still draw their subjects out and get them to engage...

Jay

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 19, 2013 03:51 |  #44

I'm both. Depends what mood I'm in.

Peter

OhLook
THREAD ­ STARTER
Spiderwoman
17,851 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 19, 2013 11:36 |  #45

skygod44 wrote in post #16133756 (external link)
I think the question is too broad.

Some disciplines within photography can naturally attract people who are - for want of a better description - "introverted".

While in other areas, it's the "extroverted" nutters who're going to be successful.

Agreed--but let me emphasize what I had in mind with the original question. What distinguishes people who have a serious interest in photography from people who understand a camera as a tool for getting pictures of their loved ones, without regard for composition, lighting, skewed horizons, and everything else that "real photographers" attend to? Is it something about a person's general outlook or values, not limited to photography situations?

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

sponsored links

9,619 views & 0 likes for this thread
Are photographers introverts?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.