Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 18 Jul 2013 (Thursday) 23:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First Time Shooting Pro Soccer

aviator.4.life
Goldmember
1,221 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 18, 2013 23:07 |  #1

I have the opportunity to shoot my first pro soccer game this Saturday. I've been browsing the forum for pointers on Soccer, anything I should know specifically for pro soccer or is pretty much the same all around? I'm all ears, I've never done soccer from the sidelines before so it will be quite the experience. I have a 5DII, 7D, 24-105 and a 300 2.8 at my disposal. Thanks for your help.

sponsored links
Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 18, 2013 23:12 |  #2

At the very least, rent a 7D. I shot American football with the 5D2 and 400 5.6 and struggled a lot. Between each burst frame the balled moved 10 yards. I can't imagine shooting soccer with that setup. Not saying it's impossible, but it will be quite difficult.

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

ormathisen
273 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 19, 2013 06:29 as a reply to  @ Tony_Stark's post |  #3

The 24-105 is close to useless for action photo of soccer because of it's short focal length. I only use it for the interview photos after the match and for the cheering photos after the match.
The 300mm f2.8 is a great lens but might be either too tight or too wide most of the time on a FF-body to cover soccer. It's limited how much you'll be able to cover with one Tele-prime.
The AF on the 5D mkII is, in my experience, waay to slow to follow Pro soccer. Both the slow-ish AF and 3,9 fps is not suited for fast sports and my guess is that you will struggle to get the mkII to drive the heavy glass to follow fast players. It's a good camera for landscapes and portraits, but sports..... Little league; yes. Pro; no

My recommendation is to get a better body, maybe 2 bodies, and add a 70-200mm for the around-goal-action. You'll have very little time to change lens during the game if you want to cover the action. Understand the game and anticipate when the action is coming. Someone told me once that "If you can see the action happening, you missed it". Take lots of photos and find your style. Shoot tight and crop tighter. My soccer photos here : http://www.flickr.com/​photos/radarfoto (external link)

Good luck :-D

--
Happy Norwegian

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 19, 2013 06:44 |  #4

aviator.4.life wrote in post #16133466 (external link)
I have the opportunity to shoot my first pro soccer game this Saturday. I've been browsing the forum for pointers on Soccer, anything I should know specifically for pro soccer or is pretty much the same all around? I'm all ears, I've never done soccer from the sidelines before so it will be quite the experience. I have a 5DII, 7D, 24-105 and a 300 2.8 at my disposal. Thanks for your help.

For much of the action you encounter, the longer the lens the better.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1174.photobuck​et.com …008a0000c_zpsba​eaad69.jpg (external link)

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 60D
Lens: 70-300mm
Focal Length: 300.0mm
Aperture: f/5.6
Exposure Time: 0.0005 s (1/2000)
ISO equiv: 1250
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: shutter priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB

http://i1174.photobuck​et.com …906a0000a_zpsf6​e45a86.jpg (external link)

Lens: 150-500mm
Focal Length: 313.0mm
Aperture: f/6.3
Exposure Time: 0.0020 s (1/500)
ISO equiv: 2500

http://i1174.photobuck​et.com …1029a0634_zps0b​6aab92.jpg (external link)

Lens: 150-500mm
Focal Length: 247.0mm
Aperture: f/6.3
Exposure Time: 0.0010 s (1/1000)
ISO equiv: 200

However, what can make soccer a maddening sport to cover is that sometimes action will happen close to you and a shorter than long lens will be most useful. You'll need to decide on the spot whether a lens switch will be necessary.

DagoImaging
Goldmember
1,927 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Jul 19, 2013 07:33 |  #5

If you know the game (well) and can predict movement then you will get better shots. That can be said for whatever sport you're shooting. :) As others have said the 24-105 won't be much use to you. 200mm will be about as short as you want and 300 will be short when the action is on the other side of the field.

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M
https://designcostello​.com/ (external link)

Cozmocha
728 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 19, 2013 10:04 |  #6

Since the 5DII isn't the best at focusing I would put the 24-105 on it and pre focus right in front of you then sit it beside you just in case the action ends up at your spot. You probably won't touch it the whole game but you might get 'the shot.' Plus that set up should be good for the pre game line up pose if they do that.

You can't just follow the ball to the action you have to see where it's headed and get the lens on those players way before the ball gets their. By watching the players through the lens you'll be able to see what the ball is going to do.

-Kurt
www.kurtriversphoto.co​m (external link) || http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/kurtrivers (external link)

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 19, 2013 10:16 |  #7

All good advice here.

Are you able to move on the sidelines or do you have a designated spot? I have successfully covered soccer with only a 70-200 but I was able to move around. Being able to anticipate the play (and sheer luck) will determine appropriate reach more than any focal length you can have at your disposal.

Joel

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 19, 2013 23:10 |  #8

If it's pro soccer you are going to be stuck at the ends. Usually 1 end per half (meaning you can't go back and forth).

If that's the case, you want a long lens (300-600mm) and a medium telephoto (70-200). The long telephoto will let you get action form the center to about 25 yrds out and then you can switch to the shorter one.

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 21, 2013 02:10 |  #9

xchangx wrote in post #16136409 (external link)
If it's pro soccer you are going to be stuck at the ends. Usually 1 end per half (meaning you can't go back and forth).

Are those MLS rules? The local team is in the NASL and they allow photogs free access up and down the sideline in front of the grandstand and behind the goal lines. No one except the team photog is allowed on the bench side of the field.

When the Whitecaps were in town last year for the Amway Canadian Championship, it was as you described, behind the goal lines and no movement during play. This year, it was sideline only up to the penalty box area on either half of the field and no further. ???

Joel

aviator.4.life
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,221 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 21, 2013 14:02 |  #10

Thanks for all the advice guys, I had a ton of fun yesterday. A 70-200 would have been perfect sometimes but I did what I could with what I have. The 5DII did surprisingly good the second half minus the slow fps. Here's some of the photos... https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1316986

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 23, 2013 17:21 |  #11

joeblack2022 wrote in post #16139200 (external link)
Are those MLS rules? The local team is in the NASL and they allow photogs free access up and down the sideline in front of the grandstand and behind the goal lines. No one except the team photog is allowed on the bench side of the field.

When the Whitecaps were in town last year for the Amway Canadian Championship, it was as you described, behind the goal lines and no movement during play. This year, it was sideline only up to the penalty box area on either half of the field and no further. ???

Those were the rules for the USA women's and men's team. Not sure about MLS

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

ormathisen
273 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 24, 2013 01:27 |  #12

Same rules most places. In Norwegian top league the penalty box is the furthest they┬┤ll let a photographer go between warm-up and until the players have left the field. In Europa League The club is fined by UEFA if photographers wander along the sidelines (So I was told last season during the European Cup)

--
Happy Norwegian

burnet44
Cream of the Crop
7,852 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 02, 2013 19:48 |  #13

crop tighter and straighten horizons

Canon 70D Gripped, Canon 1DII, 7D2 Canon gripped 70-200 2.8 ISM II, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 17-50 2.8, Canon 400 5.6 on loan, Canon 1.4 TC, Canon 550 EX flash
C and C welcome, Brutality Encouraged, Help Always Welcome Editing OK
www.firstdownphotos.ph​otoreflect.com (external link)
Flicker Page http://www.flickr.com/​photos/72506283@N03/ (external link)

sponsored links

2,250 views & 0 likes for this thread
First Time Shooting Pro Soccer
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.