Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 17 Jul 2013 (Wednesday) 15:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Critiques Please!

frantifan91
47 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jul 17, 2013 15:27 |  #1

Hello all! I grabbed this shot but I'm a bit disappointed the lighting SUCKS is there anyway to save this photo? I'm new to PP...have aperture just bought it. I know the tubes in the background are way bright as are the spot on her ear. Thanks a million!

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMG_6874 (external link) by ehgordon2013 (external link), on Flickr

also other critiques welcome! i'm a new amateur photographer....also if i didn't load/link this correctly feel free to give a shout out i will fix it

Canon T4i: 18-135 IS STM (SELLING), 15-85 IS USM; 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM

sponsored links
mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 17, 2013 20:10 |  #2

direct links are preferred. you'll get more feedback if people don't need to chase it down.

dodge and burn is your friend, especially here, just dodge up the shadows, and pull down the highlights. its not that bad.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

frantifan91
THREAD ­ STARTER
47 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jul 17, 2013 20:42 as a reply to  @ mike_311's post |  #3

ok so i changed it up and did some dodging and burning. let me know what you think if it's improved. i know theres a lot of shadows and darkness in the background does that matter? should i change that too? wasn't sure. i messed with the glare coming off the intertubes and the right ear and this is what i got... feedback welcome! pleseehhh ...thanks! oh and i messed with her face/mask a bit and her shoulders

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

frantifan91
THREAD ­ STARTER
47 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jul 19, 2013 07:46 |  #4

Man tons of views but only one response? Please...looking for blunt feedback on photo and post processing I did - All suggestions welcome ...thank u!

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 19, 2013 09:56 |  #5

the highlights look better, what's really holding this back isnt the lighting but all the distractions in the background, maybe black and white to at least get rid of the color distractions?

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

DistantFX
283 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Jul 19, 2013 10:01 |  #6

Only thing I could say is the highlights. I'm pretty new to photography. DOF is used appropriately to put the focus on the subject.

Canon 80D
Canon 50mm f1.8, Canon 18-55mm Kit Lens, Canon 75-300mm Kit Lens, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 UWA, Canon 70-200mm L F4 non IS, Canon 24mm F2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70mm F2.8 VC G2

georgi
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jul 19, 2013 10:16 |  #7

Try black and white and apply a vignette with medium feather and very low midpoint - that should save the picture :)

PS: Nice timing

5D Mk III, 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L, 11-16 f/2.8DX (Tokina), 50mm f/1.4

frantifan91
THREAD ­ STARTER
47 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jul 19, 2013 11:23 |  #8

Mike - I seem to agree with you on the background being super distracting. I was just playing around and ended up capturing this. In retrospect I might have selected a better area to shoot.

DistantFX - Thank you !

Georgi- I like that idea. And thanks - it was lucky I captured it on the first try.

Regarding B + W...I'm pretty new to aperture as stated above. I played around with the black and white effects on there. My question is how do I select which one? There's a variety for you all out there using aperture 3.0.....such as..

Red Filter/Blue Filter/ Etc.

Low Contrast (0)/ High Contrast (2)/ Etc.

Infrared...

OR do i just go under add adjustment instead of effects and click Black and White?

Sorry for the stupid question

And by very low midpoint do you mean by coming down below her body? Would I apply the vigette to the whole frame or just around her body? Sorry I'm not use to photographer/PP lingo quite yet haha. If you wouldn't mind clarifying georgi what you mean by adding the vignette ( i will admit i know the vignette brush tool) and low midpoint I'd appreciate it. Thanks for helpin me learn!

I'll play around with it once I figure out what you meant. Might youtube it and then post up the new version.

georgi
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jul 19, 2013 13:11 |  #9

frantifan91 wrote in post #16134768 (external link)
Regarding B + W...I'm pretty new to aperture as stated above. I played around with the black and white effects on there. My question is how do I select which one? There's a variety for you all out there using aperture 3.0.....such as..

The problem is, that even though I use a Mac, I have no clue about Aperture, I am using Lightroom because it's updated quite more often, and it works perfectly in combination with PS.

I would suggest you try a demo of LR, the new 5 is really amazing.

I think I "overcooked" you image a bit, but given the fact that's 4AM at the place I am living - I am a bit tired, so maybe my eyes trick me. I used a screenshot from your flicker account.

First I am choosing "Black and White" and creating a vignette (round), to make it more dramatic, then I used the graduate tool to darken the left and right side even more, as well as kill the highlights. I sharpened the dog a bit and pushed the shadows a bit higher, to make his eyes "pop". Thats it.

If you want, I can do a preset with those settings, and you can look at it in Lightroom and study the settings -

Have a nice weekend,

Georgi

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

5D Mk III, 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L, 11-16 f/2.8DX (Tokina), 50mm f/1.4

frantifan91
THREAD ­ STARTER
47 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jul 19, 2013 15:20 |  #10

georgi wrote in post #16135083 (external link)
The problem is, that even though I use a Mac, I have no clue about Aperture, I am using Lightroom because it's updated quite more often, and it works perfectly in combination with PS.

I would suggest you try a demo of LR, the new 5 is really amazing.

I think I "overcooked" you image a bit, but given the fact that's 4AM at the place I am living - I am a bit tired, so maybe my eyes trick me. I used a screenshot from your flicker account.

First I am choosing "Black and White" and creating a vignette (round), to make it more dramatic, then I used the graduate tool to darken the left and right side even more, as well as kill the highlights. I sharpened the dog a bit and pushed the shadows a bit higher, to make his eyes "pop". Thats it.

If you want, I can do a preset with those settings, and you can look at it in Lightroom and study the settings -

Have a nice weekend,

Georgi

I was going between the two, LR and Aperture 3.0. I went with Aperture because of the integration with apple. But I'll take a second look at LR. I like what you did here! If you get a minute could you do that, a preset with those settings? Or I guess a screenshot might work? Only if you have time....

thank you ...have a nice weekend as well!

mannetti21
Goldmember
3,108 posts
Gallery: 113 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 20, 2013 17:12 |  #11

IMO...keep the color, tight vertical crop to remove background distractions

My Buyer/Seller Feedback

Talaska
604 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 21, 2013 00:00 |  #12

As mentioned above, crop it vertical and crop as tight as you can while keeping it sharp. I don't care for the b&w either. Not familiar with Aperture, but in LR I would work the highlite and shadow sliders. Take the highlite slider to the left to remove the bright spots in the photo and bring up the shadow slider to lighten the dark spots to the face.

1D Mark IV, 5D Mark III, 7D, 1.4X MkIII, 2X MkIII, 17-40mm L, 70-200mm f2.8 IS Mk II L, 100mm macro, 500mm f4 IS L, 24-105mm f4 L, 580 EX II, 550EX

frantifan91
THREAD ­ STARTER
47 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jul 21, 2013 16:28 |  #13

thank you both...Ok so I tried both mannetti and talaska's suggestions since I still don't know how to perfect the BW so let me me know what you think. Do I need more changes to the crop/highlights/shadow​s? Any suggestions, does it look clear/focused? Thanks so much!

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5521/9338813548_cdf6017539_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/ehgordon2013/9​338813548/  (external link)

sponsored links

1,367 views & 0 likes for this thread
Critiques Please!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.