Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 17 Aug 2006 (Thursday) 00:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Please Post Your Billingham Bags!

kcp1377
358 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 19, 2013 07:43 |  #1156

Anyone here have a small and a pro together? Is it worth it to have both? Right now I'm using my Pro and a Digital (for when I only need a few things) but finding myself wishing for a bit more space than the digital can give me, yet not wanting to grab something as large as the pro. I was also looking at the combination too, but I like a shape that's a bit less boxy than the combination. Thoughts?

Kim ~ Shooting with full frame digital, medium format and 35mm film paired with some of the best glass available.

sponsored links
2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 19, 2013 10:24 |  #1157

Kim I have the same issue. Digital and Pro too.
Right now I am carrying a 15 lb LowePro Pro Messenger, wih Nikon1V1 and Olympus OMD within...as a briefcase.
I see the need for a Small too. However, I feel I have already spent too much on bags...

Thinking out loud...I have a Think Tank UD40 that isn't being used right now.

Dave

hfgarris
Goldmember
1,760 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 19, 2013 11:36 |  #1158

kcp1377 wrote in post #16134178 (external link)
Anyone here have a small and a pro together? Is it worth it to have both? Right now I'm using my Pro and a Digital (for when I only need a few things) but finding myself wishing for a bit more space than the digital can give me, yet not wanting to grab something as large as the pro. I was also looking at the combination too, but I like a shape that's a bit less boxy than the combination. Thoughts?

I have the Hadley Pro, Hadley Small, and Hadley Digital, and I posted pictures of the Pro and Small side-by-side earlier in this thread. My Hadley Small currently holds a m4/3 Olympus OMD system with a pretty complete set of lenses. Although, if I don't quite adding lenses I may have to move it all into a Hadley Pro for easier access (and I like the handle on top).

I found the Hadley Small to be too tight for my liking when used with a 5D-III (with RRS plate), although others have decided that it works fine with a mid-sized DSLR and they like the smaller overal bag size. I also posted a picture here with the Small loaded with the 5D and some lenses to show the fit. You will give up a bit of depth from either the Pro or Digital when moving to the Small. I also have a Billingham f/2.8 bag which maintains the depth, but has a more "boxy" appearance and as such doesn't carry as well as the slimmer bags for me.

I find it useful for me to have both the Pro and Small Hadleys ... but then again I have way too many bags anyway, so what is one more to the collection? :rolleyes:

-howard

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 19, 2013 14:35 |  #1159

Excellent Howard!
Your response helps me.
Last time I bought at www.rangefinderstore.c​om (external link) I looked at:
-Hadley Small and large
-L2
-pro...which I bought

Although I am using my smaller cameras more, all my bags were purchased with my dslr gear in mind. I seldom use that Nikon now.
I have changed straps...using the Peak Design strap exclusively now. My Black Rapid stap is no longer used. That helps me carry less in my bag. (I do not trust the carabiner on my BR strap. I like that strap otherwise, yet packing cameras in bags wasn't so easy with my BR strap

Dave

Mackeral
524 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jul 20, 2013 04:16 |  #1160
bannedPermanent ban

I got my vintage 445. It's freaking huge. Not sure if I need this much bag but we'll see. I'm thinking I'll get a 335 as well for walking around but obviously my kit isn't the largest so the 445 will be interesting. It's pretty dirty so I'm going to clean it. It needs a new shoulder pad (anybody know which one woks on the 445 strap?) and needs better inserts so that will be fun to try and figure out. It also smells kind of musty so I need to deal with that as well , but overall a great bag and I'm excited to use it. I have a Stowaway coming as well for those days where I need smething small for the x100. Goddamn these bags are nice.

"Complete quietness surrounded me as the dense fog smothered all sounds. As the sun rose, lifting the fog to reveal this majestic mountain, all my thoughts of the daily hustle and bustle were put away, allowing me to sit in solitude with nature."
-Utter Bull

Always ­ Learning
Hatchling
1 post
Joined May 2011

Jul 21, 2013 13:06 |  #1161

Just bought a nwt 445 Billingham bag on Ebay -- can't tell if it has a tuktop -- when did Billingham do their "substantial redesign"? I found a reference to it as long ago as 2009, so I am assuming it is a safe bet that mine DOES have the tuktop, but was wondering if anyone knew for sure....

Thanks so much -- Angela

Mashimaro
818 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 21, 2013 15:33 |  #1162

I have the Small, Pro and Large as well.

The Small is now the perfect bag for my Leica M9.

although I do use it with my 5D3 attached to 1 lens when I don't want to have a larger bag hanging off my butt.

You can never have too many Billinghams!

here's a pic I posted up many pages back showing you the size (Small is in front, Pro on the right and Large on the left):

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8076/8383286970_33a43f6172_c.jpg

Canon 5D4 / Sony A7R2 / Leica M240

xeodragon
287 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jul 21, 2013 16:31 |  #1163

Mashimaro wrote in post #16140648 (external link)
I have the Small, Pro and Large as well.

The Small is now the perfect bag for my Leica M9.

although I do use it with my 5D3 attached to 1 lens when I don't want to have a larger bag hanging off my butt.

You can never have too many Billinghams!

here's a pic I posted up many pages back showing you the size (Small is in front, Pro on the right and Large on the left):

QUOTED IMAGE

Awesome! Thinking of a small if I decide on the x100s, wish it had a carrying handle though!

kcp1377
358 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 21, 2013 16:59 as a reply to  @ xeodragon's post |  #1164

Wonderful - thank you Howard and Mashimaro. I would be using it for my Leica kit, so I'm not too worried about carrying larger DSLRs in it (although I did throw my 5diii and 70-200 2.8 into the Pro earlier along with a hasselblad 500cm and was pleased that it all fit even if I did have to take the lens off the body.) How would you feel about taking the small to say Disney? I really wish it had that back zip (really, it's the only reason I haven't gotten it yet.) I keep thinking there's a perfect bag out there, but every time I search everything is either super utilitarian (like thinktank) or very girly. I just want a nice looking bags with enough pockets and space for a small kit. How much is that to ask?

So I keep coming back to the Small. I would just take the digital (just want something small to wear messenger style for rides and when we leave the stroller) but it's just a bit too small if I do want to take a larger camera.

Really, if the Small had the pocket in the back it would be the perfect small kit bag for me.

Kim ~ Shooting with full frame digital, medium format and 35mm film paired with some of the best glass available.

Mackeral
524 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jul 21, 2013 17:04 as a reply to  @ kcp1377's post |  #1165
bannedPermanent ban

I decided to go with the Pola Stowaway for my x100 as the Leica Combo bag was too big. Digging it.

I washed the 445 and it turned out good. The cleaning was good for the surface and still kept the character so that's nice. The only issue now is getting some extra padding and unfortunately the bottom pad was missing and the 400 Superflex seems to no longer be in production. That sucks.

"Complete quietness surrounded me as the dense fog smothered all sounds. As the sun rose, lifting the fog to reveal this majestic mountain, all my thoughts of the daily hustle and bustle were put away, allowing me to sit in solitude with nature."
-Utter Bull

Mackeral
524 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jul 22, 2013 10:08 |  #1166
bannedPermanent ban

So, called Billingham directly. They must have a small operation but talked to someone and was able to order the Superflex 400 base pad for the 445. Not too bad of a price ~20 GBP and now that I'm living in Belfast not too long of a wait to get it.

The 445 had a musty smell as well but a couple of days in a plastic bag wrapped and stuffed with newspaper has it smelling fine. I also had to replace the shoulder pad but that was easy enough. The bag came with two older inserts 9-15 and 8-15 I believe but I'll need to figure out what else to get. I'm thinking a bridge insert as well as a flap but not sure yet of what size that needs to be so if anyone has an idea thanks!

Looking forward to getting this thing all set but fixing it up is nice.

-Utter Bull

hfgarris
Goldmember
1,760 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 22, 2013 11:11 as a reply to  @ Mackeral's post |  #1167

The Billingham 445 comes standard with the 9-15 and 9-18 SuperFlex partitions plus a horizontal divider flap. I added the 10-15 and 12-21 to mine to accommodate larger f/2.8 lenses.

This completes the bag to comfortably carry 4 large lenses, 2 of them mounted to bodies, and a couple of flash units. I sized mine to carry Canon 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS II, 100L macro, TC, 580EX II flash, 5D-III, and 7D.

Here is a simple chart showing the dimensions of the SuperFlex inserts:
http://www.rtsphoto.co​m/#!Accessories/sitepa​ge_14 (external link)

-howard

Mackeral
524 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jul 22, 2013 11:21 |  #1168
bannedPermanent ban

hfgarris wrote in post #16143087 (external link)
The Billingham 445 comes standard with the 9-15 and 9-18 SuperFlex partitions plus a horizontal divider flap. I added the 10-15 and 12-21 to mine to accommodate larger f/2.8 lenses.

This completes the bag to comfortably carry 4 large lenses, 2 of them mounted to bodies, and a couple of flash units. I sized mine to carry Canon 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS II, 100L macro, TC, 580EX II flash, 5D-III, and 7D.

Here is a simple chart showing the dimensions of the SuperFlex inserts:
http://www.rtsphoto.co​m/#!Accessories/sitepa​ge_14 (external link)

-howard

Excellent that link is amazing. I wish Billingham would take the initiative on this as well.

-Utter Bull

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 22, 2013 12:03 |  #1169

Mackeral wrote in post #16140939 (external link)
I decided to go with the Pola Stowaway for my x100 as the Leica Combo bag was too big. Digging it.

I washed the 445 and it turned out good. The cleaning was good for the surface and still kept the character so that's nice. The only issue now is getting some extra padding and unfortunately the bottom pad was missing and the 400 Superflex seems to no longer be in production. That sucks.

I should look at the Pola!

I must be OC. Went to car club meeting. Took out my Oly. Hadn't switched it off. Both Batteries were dead. :( Took out the Nikon1. Worked. Surprised I had both! Now I am reluctant to leave home without "both" small systems. Just need a 100-300 and 25/1.4 for the Oly. And 30-110 for the N1V1. I know. gear choice makes no sense...

Dave

Mackeral
524 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jul 26, 2013 18:10 |  #1170
bannedPermanent ban

Well, I've run into an issue with the new Superflex inserts and the older 445 interior. Unfortunately the velcro options on the interior lining are very limited. I guess I'll have to come up with an option to install some more velcro liners. This 445 is taking awhile to get into working shape!

-Utter Bull

sponsored links

663,012 views & 48 likes for this thread
Please Post Your Billingham Bags!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.